• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

Hedgehog

Horology Curious
15/9/20
I was relatively nice to you, but your subsequent posts just show not only what an entitled ind.. blaah blaa pos waffel..

I just asked for tips dude, not the meaning of life.. :picard:

Members like YOU IS the reason most of the content here is rather untenable to skim, like you bring zero content to the table, you just like to talk shit (to a newbie) in a condescending tone that nobody really caress to read.. Fact is people come to forums for info, and since there is 94 pages to find what one is looking for and a possibility the info is obsolete since there seems to be new models popping up once in a while, I don't see answering to a simple question of "mind passing on few lines of knowledge, thanks guys" to be that hard one to push out of ones keyboard. If I was a experienced user with vast amounts of knowledge I would have ZERO problems sharing some of it with a new user.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
1st post on RWI, hello everyone! :)

I'm getting my 1st rep this week, it's the ZF 15500 black dial (REF. #15500ST.OO.1220ST.03) so hyped to get this watch, been a fan of the model for a long time!

Been researching into this thread and seeing how pleased everyone is with the model, may I ask what details should I look into to make sure it's the latest ZF model? And a sound unit in general.

I found this forum too late to order from a trusted seller, so I would like to make sure I am receiving what I paid for and what a lot of people on the thread are so pleased with.

Is there some tips & tricks some of you would like to share about this model, or some "do's and don'ts"?

Thanks!

Well I like your forum name and so I am going to take the time to reply you Hedgehog

Firstly, I hope your name isn't sonic. Met a few of those, somewhere else lol.
And you can relax now. I am not going to bash you in any way.

Second, there is only one ZF model so far. So your question of "latest ZF" is redundant.
Thirdly, I agree with one fact with Sonofalich pointed out: People are pleased with different things, and you need to decide what pleases you. Essentially you are asking for what to look out for in the QC pics. Well, first thing you learn is NOT to post your QC pics unless you have a specific concern. And you learn about your specific concerns by reading and researching like what the members above pointed out. They are not wrong.

There are some things not so correct about your statement:

"so I would like to make sure I am receiving what I paid for and what a lot of people on the thread are so pleased with"

And I can explain why:

- You have paid for a ZF rep. You will receive a ZF rep. You paid $500 or so, and you will be getting a watch which has a quality of at least a $500 watch. Note that the last bit is subjective and as such, it is a matter of opinion in this aspect.

- You already READ and KNOW what a lot of people on the thread are pleased with right? The thread does contain the answers, for example, nice dial print, good screws alignment, good bracelet finish etc etc. Take your time to read and consolidate the facts and in doing so you can learn better yourself.

- Your statement is generic. Nobody can help you with that unless you list specific concerns like "Are my dial markers aligned well?" or "Are the bezel screws well aligned?" Stuff like that which show that you know your stuff and what you are asking. It is far more useful to know the watch and what to look out for, and you can definitely do this because you already know why guys are so pleased with it. So read a little further, and you will get maybe 5-6 points to look out for in your QC pics.

Here is a promise: Come back here and ask specific questions about your watch after you have done your homework. You will get more meaningful replies. I see that you have researched into this thread. What you need to do is to contain your excitement and research deeper a little. The answers you seek are all in here. The guys are not wrong. But the last I checked, it is not hedgehog hunting season so you are safe here for now.
The "meaning of life" answers can be better answered on Quora but while you are here, you need to understand and respect the forum culture here. Sonofalich may appear to be brusque but his points are not wrong. Ignore the tone and focus on the content.

Hedgehog

Horology Curious
15/9/20
Well I like your forum name and so I am going to take the time to reply you Hedgehog

Firstly, I hope your name isn't sonic. Met a few of those, somewhere else lol.
And you can relax now. I am not going to bash you in any way.

Thank you legend, I have already read probably hundreds of your posts and I think almost all of them were a good read!

Yes I paid around $500 and I didn't have QC pics, I did get some photos and a video of the version I was buying but not 100% sure was that my unit. Are the serial numbers unique, or do they just print the same on every watch? I read someone saying the ZF 15500 is closer to 94 to 97% gen like and I think that's beyond amazing! I am not expecting to buy anything but a rep with this price so my expectations are based in the beautiful pictures people have posted here.

I was under the impression there has been variants of this model so I had understood wrong.

May I ask, since the movement is different to gen, does the winding and adjusting the time work like in the interactive user guide on the AP website? Don't want to break it by adjusting it wrong..

I will respect the culture here and have always done that on forums but I have very little tolerance for A holes that pick on new users because they don't know as much yet and DARE to ask after not finding the needle in the haystack that is 94 pages of chatter that has not been indexed into search to find answers using search.

I'll take your advice and come up with more specific questions once I have them, thanks for the advice! ps. Sonic The HH was the inspiration for my nickname my friend gave me about 20 years ago.

Reactions: Pizzo and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you legend, I have already read probably hundreds of your posts and I think almost all of them were a good read!

Yes I paid around $500 and I didn't have QC pics, I did get some photos and a video of the version I was buying but not 100% sure was that my unit. Are the serial numbers unique, or do they just print the same on every watch? I read someone saying the ZF 15500 is closer to 94 to 97% gen like and I think that's beyond amazing! I am not expecting to buy anything but a rep with this price so my expectations are based in the beautiful pictures people have posted here.

I was under the impression there has been variants of this model so I had understood wrong.

May I ask, since the movement is different to gen, does the winding and adjusting the time work like in the interactive user guide on the AP website? Don't want to break it by adjusting it wrong..

I will respect the culture here and have always done that on forums but I have very little tolerance for A holes that pick on new users because they don't know as much yet and DARE to ask after not finding the needle in the haystack that is 94 pages of chatter that has not been indexed into search to find answers using search.

I'll take your advice and come up with more specific questions once I have them, thanks for the advice! ps. Sonic The HH was the inspiration for my nickname my friend gave me about 20 years ago.

Hello Hedgehog no worries at all. I get it that it is tough being the new guy, its a position we all were in at one time or another.

Regarding the watch, yes there is no other variant of the ZF15500, you just need to be careful that you do not get the OMF 15500 instead.. that one has the wrong case geometry and overall its not as good a replica as the ZF one.
Check for dial text print, markers and logo alignment, date alignment, and the usual scratches/blemishes on the case, hands, etc.
As for movement, it is a miyota 9015, so an entire kettle of fish from the cal. 4302 used by AP for the 15500. Functionally there are similar, being automatic watches. Just be sure to set your hands to 6:30 before quicksetting the date. Winding and setting the time should work the same way as the cal. 4302.
This may not be a gen, but visually you are going to be very pleased with it.
I will be happy to help you with your QC (remember to ask specific questions only, general QC pics aren't allowed!) and tag me on your post, I will help you out.

P.S. Sonic the hedgehog brings back very fond childhood memories for me. I hope you enjoyed the franchise as much as I did!

Tony12345

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/20
Hello Hedgehog Just be sure to set your hands to 6:30 before quicksetting the date.

Ohh, I didn’t know this. is this a miyota thing or is it necessary to set them on 6:30 on every movement?

I quick set the Date a few times now (without hands on 6:30), guess I was lucky that anything broke..

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Ohh, I didn’t know this. is this a miyota thing or is it necessary to set them on 6:30 on every movement?

I quick set the Date a few times now (without hands on 6:30), guess I was lucky that anything broke..

It's a good habit to have with all watches and movements. The idea is to make sure that you don't manually adjust the date when the mechanism has already triggered the beginning of the automatic date change, as it could damage the movement. So 6.30 is an arbitrary time that ensures you're out of that danger zone

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

It does NOT have to be 6:30, like what my friend Tobel said. The key thing is to avoid 9pm to 3am and 6:30 is always the the hands position I choose for my own watches out of habit because it’s always safe whether it’s 6:30am or 6:30pm.
You can of course pick times like 9am or 1030am but note that these are AM/PM sensitive whereas the 6:30 position will always work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedgehog

Horology Curious
15/9/20
This may not be a gen, but visually you are going to be very pleased with it.
I will be happy to help you with your QC (remember to ask specific questions only, general QC pics aren't allowed!) and tag me on your post, I will help you out.

legend I got my watch today and I like it a lot! It's like jewelry, shines light so beautifully.

First impression was how small this watch looks like on the wrist, its very civilized. Was expecting it to be bigger after seeing everyone's pics. I did measure it and yes it's 41mm but my previous watch was 46 without me even realizing it, and the bezel was a lot thinner so the face looked a lot bigger.

The box looked like the one I have seen on ZF reviews, but the ZF hologram sticker was not adhered to the watch glass nor was the ZF braided band inside the bracelet.

Only blemish I see is something white, maybe a fingerprint on the center wheel the weight is attached to inside the back glass. The edges on the bracelet are a bit sharp yes, maybe I need to find someone to smoothen it and the adjustment lug to be a bit easier on the skin. I have seen some people say the movement is loud, I must be getting old since I can hear the ticking only by pressing the watch into my ear ????

I don't know what you are referring as general QC pic's, I hope it's ok I upload these..

Reactions: QueTip

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
legend I got my watch today and I like it a lot! It's like jewelry, shines light so beautifully.

First impression was how small this watch looks like on the wrist, its very civilized. Was expecting it to be bigger after seeing everyone's pics. I did measure it and yes it's 41mm but my previous watch was 46 without me even realizing it, and the bezel was a lot thinner so the face looked a lot bigger.

The box looked like the one I have seen on ZF reviews, but the ZF hologram sticker was not adhered to the watch glass nor was the ZF braided band inside the bracelet.

Only blemish I see is something white, maybe a fingerprint on the center wheel the weight is attached to inside the back glass. The edges on the bracelet are a bit sharp yes, maybe I need to find someone to smoothen it and the adjustment lug to be a bit easier on the skin. I have seen some people say the movement is loud, I must be getting old since I can hear the ticking only by pressing the watch into my ear ????

I don't know what you are referring as general QC pic's, I hope it's ok I upload these..

Looks like a good watch to me, you chose well. I think the black 15500 is one of the most versatile dial choices. As it is deep black, and has grey tones depending on the light. As for your QC pictures and what you are allowed to post. QC = Quality control, the pictures that you are sent before you accept/reject the watch. You can upload them if you have a specific question and/or concern.

Also, there is another exception. You can post all your QC pictures, but the caveat for that is that you must have already accepted/rejected the watch. Sometimes when we're discussing new models, seeing the QC pictures is helpful even when the watch has already been accepted/rejected. As it may be the first "more real" pictures we have other than the TDs staged pictures.

However, the pictures you have uploaded are real world, in your hand. You can upload 100s of them if you wanted to. There's nothing wrong with that, and in fact the pictures you have uploaded are very detailed.

The movement noise, isn't the ticking. It's the rotor spinning, that is what people complain about. Put it close to your ear and give it a good "throw" without letting go. And you will hear the rotor spin. It doesn't bother me, but for some it does.

As for what the watch is, it certainly looks like ZF to me. Enjoy your purchase.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Put it close to your ear and give it a good "throw" without letting go.

I regretfully should have read the part about “without letting go”

The ensuing crash was deafening and drowned out all the rotor noise. It kinda worked in silencing the rotor. Next time please provide.. a “sounder” advice. :hehehe:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

It looks good Sonic, welcome to the club.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Allure and Hedgehog

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and after wearing it a couple of nights, I gotta admit, I just don’t find it comfortable to wear.

i usually wear both gen and rep Rolex sports models, and this just doesn’t compare.

ive never had a gen AP, so I don’t know if this is a rep problem or if the models simply wears way different from for example a sub

Last edited:

trtr

Renowned Member
10/3/13
Not saying this will be an issue for everyone but got my watch and noticed the hour hand is off as in misplaced, so when you set it to 12 or 6pm you can see the hour hand slightly before.

I know this can be corrected (hopefully not too painful to have done) but it's not the first time I've seen it brought up on the thread. While my watch was perfect visually, the hands will need adjustment.

Just a heads up for those who have ordered their watches. On the upside my dates all align.

Hedgehog

Horology Curious
15/9/20
Looks like a good watch to me, you chose well. I think the black 15500 is one of the most versatile dial choices. As it is deep black, and has grey tones depending on the light.
I saw a few comments here that the black dial does look the best (subjective opinion yes) and I originally wanted the black dial so that only assured me. I like that it makes it a bit more low-key, I prefer that.

the pictures you have uploaded are real world, in your hand. You can upload 100s of them if you wanted to. There's nothing wrong with that, and in fact the pictures you have uploaded are very detailed.
Thanks Sonofalich for the explanation, this is how I understood it from the FAQ for QC pic's also.

I'll try to post some OTW pic's in natural light as I have noticed they do look way better.

The movement noise, isn't the ticking. It's the rotor spinning, that is what people complain about. Put it close to your ear and give it a good "throw" without letting go. And you will hear the rotor spin. It doesn't bother me, but for some it does.
As for what the watch is, it certainly looks like ZF to me. Enjoy your purchase.

Nice to know it's an ZF and I will enjoy it by wearing it a lot, cheers!

Yeah the rotor spinning is not the nicest noise in the world on my watch, it does move nicely but sound like it has some friction on the spin. Is there a user you guys would recommend to have a look at it? I live in the Nordics. I think at some point my watch needs to be opened anyway because I would like the get rid of the white particles on my rotor wheel and have the edges softened in the bracelet and the crown.

Not saying this will be an issue for everyone but got my watch and noticed the hour hand is off as in misplaced, so when you set it to 12 or 6pm you can see the hour hand slightly before.

I know this can be corrected (hopefully not too painful to have done) but it's not the first time I've seen it brought up on the thread. While my watch was perfect visually, the hands will need adjustment.

Just a heads up for those who have ordered their watches. On the upside my dates all align.
I had an issue with minute hand not aligning correctly but that was just me setting the time with the second hand not at exactly 12 before setting it to the exact middle of the marker.

gnoelkered

Known Member
4/6/19
Speaking of rotor noise.

The main reason I went to look for legend was after I raised my JF v5 15400 wearing hand in a meeting room and I heard the complimentary whoosh of the Miyota rotor.

I forgot all the agenda and action items after that.

Fix the whoosh. You won't regret it.

Swiss Maiden

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/19
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and after wearing it a couple of nights, I gotta admit, I just don’t find it comfortable to wear.

i usually wear both gen and rep Rolex sports models, and this just doesn’t compare.

ive never had a gen AP, so I don’t know if this is a rep problem or if the models simply wears way different from for example a sub

Hey bro,

Yes, you're actually correct regarding the overall "comfort." I have found this to be an "issue" with GENs as well.

This is both an "objective" and "subjective" matter. For a lot of different reasons, such as the overall geometry and weight of the watch in addition to your own wrist size/style. APs are pretty heavy watches and "fit" much better "flat" wrists than rounded ones, and larger wrists over smaller diameter wrists.

Additionally, I find Rolex models usually lighter and really comfortable for example the Daytona or a Datejust with a Jubilee bracelet.

I also find Patek Nautilus and Aquanauts models much more comfortable than APs. Sometimes you even forget you have them on, I am ALWAYS pretty conscious I have an AP on.....

I thought it was only me, but I am glad there are other enthusiasts with similar opinions.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Hey bro,

Yes, you're actually correct regarding the overall "comfort." I have found this to be an "issue" with GENs as well.

This is both an "objective" and "subjective" matter. For a lot of different reasons, such as the overall geometry and weight of the watch in addition to your own wrist size/style. APs are pretty heavy watches and "fit" much better "flat" wrists than rounded ones, and larger wrists over smaller diameter wrists.

Additionally, I find Rolex models usually lighter and really comfortable for example the Daytona or a Datejust with a Jubilee bracelet.

I also find Patek Nautilus and Aquanauts models much more comfortable than APs. Sometimes you even forget you have them on, I am ALWAYS pretty conscious I have an AP on.....

I thought it was only me, but I am glad there are other enthusiasts with similar opinions.

I knew it would be hit or miss with this one :) But I have to let it go again

I have a 18 cm wrist, so it’s not a size problem, it’s just a weird watch to wear :)

I got a Aquanaut, and that is really light, and very much at the other end of the scale in regards to weight and comfort.

I do enjoy all my Rolex models from both on oyster and jubilee. I think that’s the sweet spot for me.

i do like the look of the 15500, but perhaps a PP nautilus is more up my alley

Last edited:

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I knew it would be hit or miss with this one :) But I have to let it go again

I have a 18 cm wrist, so it’s not a size problem, it’s just a weird watch to wear :)

I got a Aquanaut, and that is really light, and very much at the other end of the scale in regards to weight and comfort.

I do enjoy all my Rolex models from both on oyster and jubilee. I think that’s the sweet spot for me.

i do like the look of the 15500, but perhaps a PP nautilus is more up my alley

Have you tried the 15202? It's the most perfect AP imo. I have 8" wrists and it is just simply the best watch I have tried from AP. I didn't get on with the 15500 either...

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Have you tried the 15202? It's the most perfect AP imo. I have 8" wrists and it is just simply the best watch I have tried from AP. I didn't get on with the 15500 either...

The 15500 was my first AP. As I understand it, the 15202 has some issues, like the hand base being completely wrong. I chose the 15500 since there where no obvious tells, besides from the movement of course.

I would like to try a 15202, but maybe hold out for the next zf