• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

GreyCactus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/8/19
Black dial on a rubber strap is definitely happening soon, thanks for the great reading.

Mr.RobotAI

18/5/20
Different movement thus the location of the balance wheel is different. No way to fix that unless you use a gen cal which you source and buy at any Walmart. :qtip2:

Yes as expected, thanks for the insight sir. :)

Mr.RobotAI

18/5/20
Like my contemporary and better QueTip explained, this is a tell which cannot be resolved as long as a different movement is used. Position of balance wheel, decoration, jewels, engraving, rotor quality all will differ from the gen.
The good thing is that these cannot be seen as long as you keep the watch on the wrist. That is one reason why reps should be worn only for self-enjoyment and put aside when off the wrist. I know a guy, a Patek collector locally (who owns many Patek gens), who wore his PPF 5711 to a meet-up for a joke and the way he extolled on the rep made everyone want one lol. Nobody knew called it out as a rep despite him taking the watch off and passing it round the table. The greatest tell always for any rep is the wearer. In this case, the guy has successfully passed off (albeit as a joke) a rep as a gen among fellow gen collectors. I think that confidence and profile are much more important than tells on the watch per se, especially for the movement and such.
To convincingly wear and carry off any watch at all, one needs to examine if he can first carry off the gen in real life. If the answer is yes, 90% of the issue is resolved. Don't worry about the movement decoration and type. If you like it, buy it. These reps are very well made and will serve the needs of most owners well.

Indeed, completely agree. That's exactly what I've been telling people from the first day I joined the Rep community. :)

On the other hand if it was someone who doesn't seem to have the lifestyle but was handing out a Gen the whole table would swear it's a Rep. :lol3:

I was considering ordering the ZF 15500 until a decent 15202 is out, but it will surely look ridiculous in my opinion and my liking on any wrist under 18cm+ which is my case.

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
on the other hand i was in a local dirty, sweaty foodcourt the other day with a dear friend who was wearing a gen 15500 ...

Reactions: Katarsis

bobgeldof

Looking Around
9/1/20

Hey everyone, first post on the forum.

I’ve been lurking around, researching here for around 6 months before pulling the trigger on a blue dial ZF 15500.

I ordered from Trustytime around 4 weeks ago and it finally arrived. Wow! I am simply blown away with the quality. I have barely taken it off and am constantly staring at my wrist.

I just wanted to say a sincere thank you to all of you who have generously shared your knowledge and helped shape my decision. It’s incredibly valuable for newbies like me who are just getting started.

Hopefully the first of many happy rep purchases!

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden

I’ve been lurking around, researching here for around 6 months before pulling the trigger on a blue dial ZF 15500.

I ordered from Trustytime around 4 weeks ago and it finally arrived. Wow! I am simply blown away with the quality. I have barely taken it off and am constantly staring at my wrist.

I just wanted to say a sincere thank you to all of you who have generously shared your knowledge and helped shape my decision. It’s incredibly valuable for newbies like me who are just getting started.

Looks realy good on you. Congrats

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: bobgeldof

bobgeldof

Looking Around
9/1/20
Tompa Thanks mate, I was a little unsure of what it would look like as my wrist is around 7.5 inches but I’m happy how it turned out

Reactions: Tompa

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
[

Looks amazing with correct wrist proportions. Enjoy in good health!!

Also, get out of the forum soon :D:D It starts with one and then your collection will multiply exponentially. I can personally vouch for that.

Grillo

Supporter
Certified
8/1/20
Germany
Looks amazing with correct wrist proportions. Enjoy in good health!!

Also, get out of the forum soon :D:D It starts with one and then your collection will multiply exponentially. I can personally vouch for that.

You’re sooo right...it can infect you immediately :D:D

ryan4240

2/2/20

Looks marvellous! My first one was a 15400 ZF :)

Mr.RobotAI

18/5/20
Tompa Thanks mate, I was a little unsure of what it would look like as my wrist is around 7.5 inches but I’m happy how it turned out

The 15500 is for wrists above 7 inches (18cm). As you can see on your 7.5 inches wrist, it looks perfect!

Congrats and enjoy your watch! ;)

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
I’d like to add that MY ZF 15500’s crown is quite sharp at the edges, may need to soften that part too. Its quite uncomfortable when unscrewing and screwing in the crown.
Haven’t seen anyone mention that yet, could just be my bad luck getting a really sharp crown.

Last edited:

goldenring

Horology Curious
5/7/20
Germany
Received mine today afters just two weeks from China to Germany. It's my first Rep in general and I have got to admit that I am highly pleased and suprised by the quality provided. Looks like the Rep Game has just won a new admirer ;-)

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
0a0jb.jpg

What are yo doing to me? I just decided to go for the black, no I have to start all over again ;-). Looks great on your wrist, mine's 7,5 as well. So this is reassuring.

Last edited:

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
What are yo doing to me? I just decided to go for the black, no I have to start all over again ;-). Looks great on your wrist, mine's 7,5 as well. So this is reassuring.

I've had all the dial variants in real life. Black is the clear winner in the 15500 imo, so trust me you're not hard done by. If you go maybe 10-20 pages back I posted a comparison of them all. Black has the most contrast, stunning dial that appears black and shades of grey. Blue imo was too electric in certain light, and looked a bit too pale. But this is entirely personal, but trust me. Black is excellent. None of them are bad, but black was my favourite by a strong margin.

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
I've had all the dial variants in real life. Black is the clear winner in the 15500 imo, so trust me you're not hard done by. If you go maybe 10-20 pages back I posted a comparison of them all. Black has the most contrast, stunning dial that appears black and shades of grey. Blue imo was too electric in certain light, and looked a bit too pale. But this is entirely personal, but trust me. Black is excellent. None of them are bad, but black was my favourite by a strong margin.

You've been of great help!!