• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Tbh it was surprising to me that Shampoo had some spot effects on my bracelet!! Better get my head and scalp checked after seeing what it did to my ZF bracelet!!

Actually don't worry about it anymore.. I am 100% your bracelet issue can be resolved with a refinish/rebrush. Unless your bracelet starts sprouting hair on it, I will kindly advise for you to go easy on the shampoo next time. :hehehe:

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
Well breathe and relax a little sir.

There is no rule against responding to older posts. Additionally, an opinion 6 or 8 months ago can be equally valid as something said today. In this case, watcho's post does help members thinking the "gen movement" route see the reality of the situation. Maybe he was being witty, maybe sarcastic, but the essence of his message remains valid: one cannot just get a gen movement easily currently. I will rather have a member take time to peruse threads and contents which have been written (and sometimes respond to older posts), rather than starting a new thread and asking foolish questions like "which is the best version for the 15500?"
Calling him names does not make you better than him (though it may make you feel better momentarily).
If you sit back and see the wider perspective, its just another opinion in the forum, like yours, mine and anyone's else. If you disagree with it, just move along, I am pretty sure you can find something you agree with.

I have been a member for five years and I have put just shy of one hundred posts under my belt. Usually, I am not keen on sharing my opinion on topics that I do not feel knowledgeable or passionate enough about. I have much rather learned and educated myself in the shadows of anonymity. Reading what more knowledgeable people than I were generously sharing with the community has complemented my personal research and experience. And it served me well.

The following observation is just empirical at this point, but it can be confirmed by many of the valuable members of this forum. Over time I came to the conclusion that the members who keep adding real value to this community were considerate, humble and respectful beginning with their very first written contribution. Their goal was not to impress, but to learn and to further their education. In time, most of them have given back to the community a multiplier of what they have received from it.
Most of the rookies are not spoonfed, but encouraged to start their own quest for knowledge. The vast majority of the questions they ask are answered with an invitation to reading and educating themselves. At first I thought that this was harsh, but I learned that this would help separate some quasy parasitical characters, quick to pick someone else's brain and disappear, from the knowledge-thirsty newbies, who instinctively felt motivated to go back to reading.

In my view, the anecdotical "there are no stupid questions" has been imposed on society by the same people who have flooded schools and our public life with "participation awards", creating a false and toxic narrative of equality and justice. These people, the very same proponents of "participation awards", are frustrated losers, whose brains are too latent to answer the questions: and what about the merrituous ones, what about the flagships, the people who work hard and perform to win the competition? How about the asiduous competitor, the one that most likely has put bread on many a people's tables and furthered society with their passion, work and performance? How do we incentivise those people to keep performing on a high level? What is their motivation to become number 1, what is their drive to hold that cup in their hands, when everybody else has one? This is a hot topic and there is so much more to be said about it than I could in a jiffy commentary.
We are not equal. From the moment we are born, we are in competition with eachother, on many levels. Back in the day, when this world was still a sane place, people were rewarded based on merrit, performance, hard work, not on participation.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just ignorant people who ask questions. And yes, A, you could take it to the bank, that I was being sarcastic. I won't be sarcastic with you, or any other valuable member here. Literally 50+ watches later in my experience as a watch afficionado, I can't even start a conversation with you about AP, for example, without scrutinizing it first in my brain. This is beyond respect for your interlocutor, this is about self-respect, just as much.
If people are too ignorant to respect themselves, then so be it. But to come and demand to be respected, that is rich.

And before this turns into a never-ending saga, the original OP was just archetypical. It was never directed to him personally. If he chose to take it that way and to respond in a defectuous manner, that's on him. I will still apologize for my lack of sensibility and go back to my sweet anonymity. It served me just fine so far. Life has proven me right.
Good luck you all in your endeavour, wherever your path might lead you.
Until next time.

Reactions: vcappp and tripdog

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
Actually don't worry about it anymore.. I am 100% your bracelet issue can be resolved with a refinish/rebrush. Unless your bracelet starts sprouting hair on it, I will kindly advise for you to go easy on the shampoo next time. :hehehe:

Can't end it here on a (melo)dramatic note, so fuck it.
Laughing my ass of, brother. I mean, I can literally picture that furry bracelet being carried to a barber shop for a trim... :rollingonthefloor:
Rock on, A and keep that torch high, so that whenever members go astray, or feel lost, they can spot it and find their way back here.

Mr.RobotAI

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/5/20
Well surely the concerns are always on the front side of the watch but I have a concern regarding its back-case. Perhaps legend can comment on my concern?

The movement of the watch on gens are positioned differently than the Reps. It looks like the Reps has gone further clockwise. (I would post a picture but don't know how to in this forum, have tried before...)

Is that something that can be fixed and adjusted? Or if the movement is positioned like the Gen it will affect the datewheel for instance or even the crown wouldn't be able to be inserted? If you need further explanation I can try again lol.

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Well surely the concerns are always on the front side of the watch but I have a concern regarding its back-case. Perhaps legend can comment on my concern?

The movement of the watch on gens are positioned differently than the Reps. It looks like the Reps has gone further clockwise. (I would post a picture but don't know how to in this forum, have tried before...)

Is that something that can be fixed and adjusted? Or if the movement is positioned like the Gen it will affect the datewheel for instance or even the crown wouldn't be able to be inserted? If you need further explanation I can try again lol.

Different movement thus the location of the balance wheel is different. No way to fix that unless you use a gen cal which you source and buy at any Walmart. :qtip2:

Reactions: Pdatoon

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
SY4ft.jpg

I'm soooo close to pushing the flag button on you now.

Last edited:

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
The following observation is just empirical at this point, but it can be confirmed by many of the valuable members of this forum. Over time I came to the conclusion that the members who keep adding real value to this community were considerate, humble and respectful beginning with their very first written contribution. Their goal was not to impress, but to learn and to further their education. In time, most of them have given back to the community a multiplier of what they have received from it.

:drinks_cheers:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Like my contemporary and better QueTip explained, this is a tell which cannot be resolved as long as a different movement is used. Position of balance wheel, decoration, jewels, engraving, rotor quality all will differ from the gen.
The good thing is that these cannot be seen as long as you keep the watch on the wrist. That is one reason why reps should be worn only for self-enjoyment and put aside when off the wrist. I know a guy, a Patek collector locally (who owns many Patek gens), who wore his PPF 5711 to a meet-up for a joke and the way he extolled on the rep made everyone want one lol. Nobody knew called it out as a rep despite him taking the watch off and passing it round the table. The greatest tell always for any rep is the wearer. In this case, the guy has successfully passed off (albeit as a joke) a rep as a gen among fellow gen collectors. I think that confidence and profile are much more important than tells on the watch per se, especially for the movement and such.
To convincingly wear and carry off any watch at all, one needs to examine if he can first carry off the gen in real life. If the answer is yes, 90% of the issue is resolved. Don't worry about the movement decoration and type. If you like it, buy it. These reps are very well made and will serve the needs of most owners well.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Different movement thus the location of the balance wheel is different. No way to fix that unless you use a gen cal which you source and buy at any Walmart. :qtip2:

i am fucked ... Neither walmart nor 7 eleven here :-(

:itchyandscratchy: