• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

Tony12345

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/20
So which is gen guys?
7ba6d5784732d730516acd651a6c8904.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the left one from ZF?
It’s criticism on a high level and maybe it’s only the lightning or the angle, but aren’t the indexes a little more bulky?

just ordered one myself and can’t make it unseen, that’s why I’m interested.

If so, it’s surely not noticeable on wrist and especially not without having a gen next to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Hey J I know for a FACT that many post their reps and frankens on Instagram. I’ve seen them myself. I do not know if they are members from here but I know for a fact that it’s happening like you said.
The thing about owning reps is that one needs to come to terms very quickly with what they are and what they are not. Many of these reps are definitely “nice watches” without a doubt but none of them are actual luxury brand watches and therein lines the disparity: you have on your wrist a watch which resembles an X brand model and clearly carries the brand logo but isn’t really one. You therefore have a definite percentage of guys passing them off as gen and others wearing them as replicas and enjoying them as they are, and the people in between. It is something not discussed here openly and I don’t see the need to start doing so now. You see guys asking questions like which color is closest to gen and they get defensive or evasive when asked why.

No matter what color you choose, the watch is 100% rep and that is totally ok. It’s a hobby many enjoy in their own capacity and for their own reason. Nobody will care about the watch more than the owner does and the owner already knows 100% what his watch is about so there is no reason for anyone to worry about being called out when wearing a rep. If the anxiety is persistent, it’s where the gens come in. Just go out and buy one and end the worry forever.

Preach

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Is the left one from ZF?
It’s criticism on a high level and maybe it’s only the lightning or the angle, but aren’t the indexes a little more bulky?

just ordered one myself and can’t make it unseen, that’s why I’m interested.

If so, it’s surely not noticeable on wrist and especially not without having a gen next to it.

Yes you’re right Tony.
The lume strips on the minute markers are indeed thicker but this is not noticeable unless you have a gen next to it, AND scrutinize both.
I didn’t highlight any tells in the pic I posted as I did not find it meaningful to do so after my gen VS rep comparison post on the grey 15500. If you want to call out flaws, the dial color and finish on the gen is also different but like I mentioned before a matte white gen variant dial exists for the 15400.

Sure, one can take impressive macro shots of all the details and make a YouTube video detailing all the differences and I’m not denying the educational and entertainment value of such a video. Many of us will watch it or have done so.

Yet how much of these differences will translate to real life call-outs? Under a 10x and between gen pieces of the same model, even variances will exist but you can imagine that won’t matter in real life.

Adaxa123

Known Member
1/2/20
Hey J I know for a FACT that many post their reps and frankens on Instagram. I’ve seen them myself. I do not know if they are members from here but I know for a fact that it’s happening like you said.
The thing about owning reps is that one needs to come to terms very quickly with what they are and what they are not. Many of these reps are definitely “nice watches” without a doubt but none of them are actual luxury brand watches and therein lines the disparity: you have on your wrist a watch which resembles an X brand model and clearly carries the brand logo but isn’t really one. You therefore have a definite percentage of guys passing them off as gen and others wearing them as replicas and enjoying them as they are, and the people in between. It is something not discussed here openly and I don’t see the need to start doing so now. You see guys asking questions like which color is closest to gen and they get defensive or evasive when asked why.

No matter what color you choose, the watch is 100% rep and that is totally ok. It’s a hobby many enjoy in their own capacity and for their own reason. Nobody will care about the watch more than the owner does and the owner already knows 100% what his watch is about so there is no reason for anyone to worry about being called out when wearing a rep. If the anxiety is persistent, it’s where the gens come in. Just go out and buy one and end the worry forever.

I absolutely agree 100%. Thanks for your very informative posts.

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Imagine a real life scenario where both watches are worn at the same table in a restaurant. It is a lot more difficult to discern which is which.

Since you insist... let’s meet up at Odette but bill on you... lol ! :) ...

Reactions: legend

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Exactly my philosophy. They are so close (not only this pair, but so many others too) that one can take some sort of satisfaction in disrupting what I feel it is a disonnance in the quality to price ratio between the gen and the rep, movements aside. No matter how much I respect Patek Philippe as a brand, so far I could never justify paying a horrendous "premium" on MSRP or lining up for years on end to get one. It defies the purpose of measuring time, which should be the core principle of why these watches were originally manufactured, duh?! I'd rather take a Jaeger LeCoultre off the shelf and enjoy a watch which just as much, if not more prestige that the "holy trinity". Not here to antagonize or to start a debate on the legitimacy of this trinity, just trying to prove the point that these beauties are meant to be worn and enjoyed.
Purists might argue that time is a linear function and both above AP iterations measure it quite comparably (and in fact a smartphone does that even more precisely), but this is a different topic for another day, I should say.
The joy of wearing one or the other is equal, or quite comparable, even though the intrinsic value is not. This, among others, should be defining for the backbone of this hobby, despite all negativists' opinions. Those people would most likely call the left one a gen in perfect unison, or if we applied basic probability theory, would ideally call either one 50:50 gen/rep.

That was deep stuff... :):):):)

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
That was deep stuff... :):):):)

Sorry about that! It was waaaaay past any human being's regular bedtime and the boundaries between reality and fantasy started to blur! I read the post this morning and went: "I won't touch the stuff this guy is on!" :D

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Sorry about that! It was waaaaay past any human being's regular bedtime and the boundaries between reality and fantasy started to blur! I read the post this morning and went: "I won't touch the stuff this guy is on!" :D

No worries for me , I was just teasing ! Just do you man !! :):):)

Reactions: watcho

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
Absolutely, plus add in aged eyes too!

Reality is only people that complain about these reps are the ones that are posting them on instagram and trying to pretend they're something they're not.
These rep 15500 are just exceptional, the bracelet quality is the bit that gets me! (considering AP attribute over 30% of the retail cost to the Bracelet)

Fully agreed. I wouldn't know about Instagram, since I don't use mainstream social media, but your statement is accurate. My empirical observations led me to believe the same. What gets me even more is the fact that AP attributes that much value to what it is an accessory, in my humble opinion. Granted, an AP on a strap made out of wicker would look odd, but the real value lies in what it used to be designed as a mechanical timekeeping machine. The rest is "just" accessory to a broader strategy intended to keep our account balances on a permanent rollercoaster. :cry:

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
Just go out and buy one and end the worry forever.

Wish this statement of yours would end my worry forever. Unfortunately my "worries" begin anew with the presentation of a new model! :cryingbadly:

asuwere

2/6/19
So which is gen guys?

Right is gen. The dead giveaway to me is the matte dial on the ZF. It's one of the main highlights on the RO so definitely a big thing to not have. I know there are matte gen dials but still.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
I wonder if people recognized the right one as gen, if the left one did not have the plastic around the watch and is brand new. They look pretty much the same to me and on the wrist I cannot imagine that even the biggest experts see the difference.

well you might be right but for me the biggest lack in the rep is not the color, is the "diamond" aspect of the dial when expose to natural light... this I haven't seen so fare on any rep photo. just talking about photo as I do not own any of these rep model.
when I said right , I din't look at the case shape or brushing or dial color, I just looked at the dial texture....

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
Just received my QC photos for my white/silver 15500 from Li, sharing in case any are interested: https://imgur.com/a/fTmmutR

Beautiful piece, GL'd and praying to the gods of shipping and customs for a safe and speedy journey.

Li is a gentleman and a scholar.

Reactions: Xilikon

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
This is how I picture them:

61a945b8f24f4a6ebbf7bb73f905f682.jpg

Sorry, though, no phone number or address at hand!

asuwere

2/6/19
well you might be right but for me the biggest lack in the rep is not the color, is the "diamond" aspect of the dial when expose to natural light... this I haven't seen so fare on any rep photo. just talking about photo as I do not own any of these rep model.
when I said right , I din't look at the case shape or brushing or dial color, I just looked at the dial texture....

The "diamond" aspect is also referred to as "sunburst". But yeah, not much of that effect on the ZF dials at all.

Reactions: vcappp

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Actually I like that The white dial goes full matte... for jf versions the issue was that they always showed a sunburst with a silvery tint whereas a lot of gen pics show a matte coke white dial (that I love) and that’s why I thought the left was gen

asuwere

2/6/19
Actually I like that The white dial goes full matte... for jf versions the issue was that they always showed a sunburst with a silvery tint whereas a lot of gen pics show a matte coke white dial (that I love) and that’s why I thought the left was gen

Guess that's why AP makes both styles. Someone prefers one or the other. The white 15400 ZF looks like it has some sunburst from photos I've seen. The white 15400 JF and OMF also look like they have too much sunburst.

Reactions: vcappp and d3s19n