• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

Xilikon

20/8/19
Did you mean you have to find the gen ZF factory because there's fake ZF factories? Can't wait t see that anti-piracy campaign...

FAKE REPS ARE FOR FAKE... whatever.

What I see about fake ZF or noob factories is trying to pass DHGate grade watches for those factories and ask 10x more money. I can see this as a real problem if you try to sneak to someone who doesn't know much about reps.

Takel98

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
22/7/19
Europe

hi everyone, I have this slight problem with my 15500, the hour hand runs slightly behind the minute hand, this should be a simple fix but don’t know to try it myself(I have some experience opening watches but not that much only worked on watches that were somewhat cheap) or take it/send it to a watchmaker, let me know if someone already worked on this model.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
hi everyone, I have this slight problem with my 15500, the hour hand runs slightly behind the minute hand, this should be a simple fix but don’t know to try it myself(I have some experience opening watches but not that much only worked on watches that were somewhat cheap) or take it/send it to a watchmaker, let me know if someone already worked on this model.

You just need a hands reset. Simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
Guys could anyone figure a way to get the gen dial yet for the 15500?

This might come across as being sarcastic: it has been already figured out by Audemars Piguet. I hope you didn't mean this seriously. But if you did, try buying a gen dial, or a gen watch. The latter comes with case, bracelet, crystal, movement, hands, crown, etc. which might be the right way to approach your concern.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This might come across as being sarcastic: it has been already figured out by Audemars Piguet. I hope you didn't mean this seriously. But if you did, try buying a gen dial, or a gen watch. The latter comes with case, bracelet, crystal, movement, hands, crown, etc. which might be the right way to approach your concern.

I personally like this advice. The boundaries between gen and rep is always clear and distinct and it’s one or the other. Frankens are not gen and hence rep.
It’s the same reason my APs are all gen down to the last screw, that’s the only way for me to stop picking on them but guess what, I’ve discovered and live with the facts that even gens have defects and are sometimes not 1:1 to the pics AP puts out to tell the world what the watch is supposed to look like. :hehehe:

watcho

Known Member
26/5/15
I personally like this advice. The boundaries between gen and rep is always clear and distinct and it’s one or the other. Frankens are not gen and hence rep.
It’s the same reason my APs are all gen down to the last screw, that’s the only way for me to stop picking on them but guess what, I’ve discovered and live with the facts that even gens have defects and are sometimes not 1:1 to the pics AP puts out to tell the world what the watch is supposed to look like. :hehehe:

I could not agree more with your comment, legend.
I do not have a trained eye for technical details and the worst idea I could come up with, would probably be to attempt to open up watch, but I can distinguish little flaws and inconsistencies between iterations of the same gen model, at least visually. These inconsistencies will be less visible in gens, but they are there, regardless. These are hand made mechanical machineries and humans are not robots. That is probably one of the reasons why watches are all unique and I mean this literally.

Maybe one more comment, related to Don5665's post above. I think I can understand his angle. People wear reps for different reasons:
Some seem to be fascinated by the effort that has been put into reps by the rep manufacturers. Sometimes these reps look strikingly similar to gens and sell for just a fraction of a gen. There seems to be a disconnect in the ratio built quality : price rep vs. gen, but I think this topic has been exhaustively covered before. Rep manufacturers, to a certain extent, might very well be the driving force behind gen manufacturers' continous efforts to improve their models and their technical sophistication.
I guess these rep owners are guys with a propensity and admiration for fine mechanical craftsmanship. Nothing wrong with that, right? I truly respect this approach.

Others appear to wear them with the intention of dissimulating the replica status and would crumble in shame if they were to be called out on wearing a rep. I venture to say that this is the less "advisable" approach, but justifiable, nonetheless. I hope these people make out the lesser percenteage of us all, but hey, to each its own. I am not here to criticise them and I would reiterate that every watch afficionado is entitled to his own justification for wearing a rep. Less justifiable and in fact rather deceiptful would be if these were used to induce the appearance of wearing a gen, while pursuing less decent purposes, to put it euphemistically.
The vast majority of these guys would just simply love to have their reps look as genlike as possible and I respect that too, even it sometimes may be bordering compulsion and overreactions. A gen is a gen and rep is a rep, as you very well said earlier. As long as wearing a rep does not become a vector for active dissimulation and deceptiveness, this is perfectly justifiable as well, in my book.

Lastly, another category would be people wearing them in lieu of the same iteration in gen, while the latter are tucked away, for too many reasons to be listed here. I could not venture to prognosticate a percentage, but I think it is substantial among us.

This is not supposed to be a comprehensive enumeration of all the reasons why people are attracted to reps, but in my humble opinion, I think it covers at least 75% of the spectrum, or maybe more, correct me if I am wrong.
One thing seems to be common among us all. We are all attracted to these fine pieces of "haute horlogerie". Whether or not they are genuine, it should be for each and every one of us to decide for ourselves. Stay happy and healthy guys, enjoy life and the weekend ahead! Peace and may you be guided by good and altruistic thoughts.

James2020

1/6/20
For those who have 15500, how much power reserve are you getting ? I presume this Miyota 9015-based mvmt should get about 30+ hours?

Asking becos mine seems to be on the low side. Wore it for about 6 hours yesterday till about 10pm. I was out and about so the watch was getting wound up when I wore it. At about 2pm today, I realised it was about 2 hours slow

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

Adaxa123

Known Member
1/2/20
37c187df9627d99c7b349cf246cb7c15.jpg

Good Morning!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: vcappp

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
For those who have 15500, how much power reserve are you getting ? I presume this Miyota 9015-based mvmt should get about 30+ hours?

Asking becos mine seems to be on the low side. Wore it for about 6 hours yesterday till about 10pm. I was out and about so the watch was getting wound up when I wore it. At about 2pm today, I realised it was about 2 hours slow

Mine is getting about 70hrs.

Adaxa123

Known Member
1/2/20
Yes, the silver dial looks stunning.
The only thing that bothers me about the watch is the pretty loud rotor - I might need to get that oiled. Anyone has any experience doing that?

James2020

1/6/20
Yes, the silver dial looks stunning.
The only thing that bothers me about the watch is the pretty loud rotor - I might need to get that oiled. Anyone has any experience doing that?

Yes, I would highly recommend you get a watchsmith to do it. It made a significant improvement on mine.

Reactions: Tony12345

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Yes, I would highly recommend you get a watchsmith to do it. It made a significant improvement on mine.

Maybe I got lucky, my blue dial is zero noise. Even if I shake it hard, I can hear rotor but nowhere loud (own 6 Miyotas, so I know how it sounds:D)

Reactions: vcappp

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
This is the most accurate dial color for the ZF 15500 IMHO.

A - Stop making such comments. I own blue and grey already. Trying hard to resist and you are not helping. My wallet holes are already very deep. :p

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I could not agree more with your comment, legend.
I do not have a trained eye for technical details and the worst idea I could come up with, would probably be to attempt to open up watch, but I can distinguish little flaws and inconsistencies between iterations of the same gen model, at least visually. These inconsistencies will be less visible in gens, but they are there, regardless. These are hand made mechanical machineries and humans are not robots. That is probably one of the reasons why watches are all unique and I mean this literally.

Maybe one more comment, related to Don5665's post above. I think I can understand his angle. People wear reps for different reasons:
Some seem to be fascinated by the effort that has been put into reps by the rep manufacturers. Sometimes these reps look strikingly similar to gens and sell for just a fraction of a gen. There seems to be a disconnect in the ratio built quality : price rep vs. gen, but I think this topic has been exhaustively covered before. Rep manufacturers, to a certain extent, might very well be the driving force behind gen manufacturers' continous efforts to improve their models and their technical sophistication.
I guess these rep owners are guys with a propensity and admiration for fine mechanical craftsmanship. Nothing wrong with that, right? I truly respect this approach.

Others appear to wear them with the intention of dissimulating the replica status and would crumble in shame if they were to be called out on wearing a rep. I venture to say that this is the less "advisable" approach, but justifiable, nonetheless. I hope these people make out the lesser percenteage of us all, but hey, to each its own. I am not here to criticise them and I would reiterate that every watch afficionado is entitled to his own justification for wearing a rep. Less justifiable and in fact rather deceiptful would be if these were used to induce the appearance of wearing a gen, while pursuing less decent purposes, to put it euphemistically.
The vast majority of these guys would just simply love to have their reps look as genlike as possible and I respect that too, even it sometimes may be bordering compulsion and overreactions. A gen is a gen and rep is a rep, as you very well said earlier. As long as wearing a rep does not become a vector for active dissimulation and deceptiveness, this is perfectly justifiable as well, in my book.

Lastly, another category would be people wearing them in lieu of the same iteration in gen, while the latter are tucked away, for too many reasons to be listed here. I could not venture to prognosticate a percentage, but I think it is substantial among us.

This is not supposed to be a comprehensive enumeration of all the reasons why people are attracted to reps, but in my humble opinion, I think it covers at least 75% of the spectrum, or maybe more, correct me if I am wrong.
One thing seems to be common among us all. We are all attracted to these fine pieces of "haute horlogerie". Whether or not they are genuine, it should be for each and every one of us to decide for ourselves. Stay happy and healthy guys, enjoy life and the weekend ahead! Peace and may you be guided by good and altruistic thoughts.

I think you’ve covered it well.

To me these reps are marvels and novelties and should be worn as such, and enjoyed for what they are. No matter how gen-like or otherwise they look, the owner will ALWAYS know that it isn’t, even if it looks 1:1 on the wrist. A ZF15500 isn’t an Audemars Piguet and will never be even if a gen dial is put into it, but it is a very nice watch to wear for the entertainment and amusement of oneself. For $400-500 one can get a very nice watch to wear and in real life mostly nobody will care if the watch is gen or not. That’s the reality of it sir.
Even a $5000 franken AP isn’t an AP and most of them look exactly like their namesake: a franken watch which contains some AP parts. None of them will ever be mistaken for an AP if you know where to look. But I have to say they look nice as watches, accuracy to gen aside and they are very interesting (if expensive) novelties to wear. As long as they please the owner, they are worth the purchase price.

Reactions: Allure and vcappp

Hertzen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/20
Legend, I think you should write a post about you gen / rep philosophy (which I totally agree with) and just send people the link to it every time the topic is raised. Or just copy-paste a paragraph or two. So far I'm impressed by your ability to state the same over and over again in different words (no punt).

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperLory

wei915

Horology Curious
21/10/19
Legend, I think you should right a post about you gen / rep philosophy (which I totally agree with) and just send people the link to it every time the topic is raised. Or just copy-paste a paragraph or two. So far I'm impressed by your ability to state the same over and over again in a different words (no punt).

May I suggest creating a sticky post instead:p