• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Lol, at least the white dial is fked up.
Blue one seems alright

i'm the least concerned but couple of post above that blue dial 21 looks like font 21pt as opposed to the other font 20pt posted in photos

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Thankyou so much for taking the time to do that. It looks like its a little too high the dates? Its less obvious due to the darker DW. I wonder if all of them are like that actually.

Does anyone actually have perfect DW alignment? To be honest that is probably my most pet peeve is to have perfectly aligned dates. I cant stand non alignment due to my OCD. LOL

No it’s not high. It’s just the angle. I will take some straight on pics later.

People are being too picky with the DW. You can’t see it from arms length and even struggle and nose length!! It’s not like it has a cyclops that would scream faults on the DW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
No it’s not high. It’s just the angle. I will take some straight on pics later.

People are being too picky with the DW. You can’t see it from arms length and even struggle and nose length!! It’s not like it has a cyclops that would scream faults on the DW.

I agree.

Gen is gen and rep is rep but differences between the two are mostly for academic discussion in the forum and not exactly meaningful in real life at regular social distances.

lazik8

Looking Around
18/6/20
Australia
After reading many of your helpful comments and viewing pictures, I am thinking of buying the ZF 15500 which will be my first ever purchase of a rep watch. Now just trying to decided which color to go for!!!

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
After reading many of your helpful comments and viewing pictures, I am thinking of buying the ZF 15500 which will be my first ever purchase of a rep watch. Now just trying to decided which color to go for!!!

A very good choice for a first rep watch. My opinion so far is:

White - easier to see any DW discrepancy.

Black - dial really “pops”

Blue - Audemars Piguet “signature”. A real summer colour.

Grey - Very smart yet casual too.

“The choice........IS YOURS” (Said in a Cilla Black Blind Date commentary voice).

Above all, remember this - B.D.M

(Black Dials Matter).

Reactions: marcmarc and lazik8

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18

“The choice........IS YOURS” (Said in a Cilla Black Blind Date commentary voice).

(Black Dials Matter).

Nice summary and well said!! To me, the Grey and Blue are the "stand outs" for this model.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Nice summary and well said!! To me, the Grey and Blue are the "stand outs" for this model.

Have you seen them in real life? I would have said the same, but I've had them all in hand at the same time and the black is the clear winner (I understand its personal) but the shear contrast alone, is just wow. It's a real wow.

However as cookie said earlier, blue is iconic ap. The grey I'll be honest, its underwhelming to me! But hey that's what make this game fun, we all like and have different tastes!

Last edited:

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Have you seen them in real life? I would have said the same, but I've had them all in hand at the same time and the black is the clear winning (I understand its personal) but the shear contrast alone, is just wow. It's a real wow.

However as cookie said earlier, blue is iconic ap. The grey I'll be honest, its underwhelming to me! But hey that's what make this game fun, we all like and have different tastes!

I am going to get a Black one too. I will put it next to my blue and then make a decision to banish one to the m2m sales section!

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Have you seen them in real life? I would have said the same, but I've had them all in hand at the same time and the black is the clear winning (I understand its personal) but the shear contrast alone, is just wow. It's a real wow.

Yes, I own both blue and grey. By the nature of its color, Black will have the most contrast...have too many black dials (including a 15400 with gen black dial). At this stage, I am looking to keep it different.

As you said, to each his own. Can't go wrong with any of the colors in the end...

Reactions: lazik8

lazik8

Looking Around
18/6/20
Australia

(Black Dials Matter).

Thank you for that summary! B.D.M lol. Indeed they do matter, but I think I'll go for the ZF blue this time, although as I understand it, the colour is further from gen than the grey one. Is that right?

I currently own gen Sinn with a black dial, so that's why I thought maybe the blue rep ZF 15500 would be nice to have.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you for that summary! B.D.M lol. Indeed they do matter, but I think I'll go for the ZF blue this time, although as I understand it, the colour is further from gen than the grey one. Is that right?

I currently own gen Sinn with a black dial, so that's why I thought maybe the blue rep ZF 15500 would be nice to have.

One thing which is not discussed, but which makes a visual difference, is dial texture.
The gen and rep 15500 dial texture differs so no matter what color you choose, the finish will always choose different. There is no color currently which is 1:1 to gen. Some tout the black as being close, but if you put the gen and rep side by side, the color, texture and finish is still apparent even at an arm's length. I think the rational thing to do is to pick a color you prefer. If you like blue, then it is the correct color to pick. I think that ZF has done a very good job for a $500 watch.

lazik8

Looking Around
18/6/20
Australia
One thing which is not discussed, but which makes a visual difference, is dial texture.
The gen and rep 15500 dial texture differs so no matter what color you choose, the finish will always choose different. There is no color currently which is 1:1 to gen. Some tout the black as being close, but if you put the gen and rep side by side, the color, texture and finish is still apparent even at an arm's length. I think the rational thing to do is to pick a color you prefer. If you like blue, then it is the correct color to pick. I think that ZF has done a very good job for a $500 watch.

Yes I agree 100% re colour and texture. Until I can afford the gen, I am happy to spend some money on a decent rep. Based on so many reviews that I have read, ZF seem to have done a great job on this 15500 especially for a V1.

Reactions: legend

MambaMentality60

8/24
Patron
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
Has anyone handled both the ZF 15400 and ZF 15500? Are both their bracelets pretty much the same in terms of roughness, sharpness, and AP logo clasp issue?

Ben_Stokes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/20
The blue doesn't look bad, from the pics earlier in the thread. The previous RO reps seem to have the shiny sunburst effect which was too much - the Gen is much more dull and this is not far off. I've owned the Gen 15400 Blue before for a year before I sold it off.

As a RO owner for over a year, from a wearer's perspective the bracelet is so shiny it feels even flashier than wearing a solid god watch honestly. I only wore to work sporadically, meeting in-laws/reltaives rarely. But I think if I get the rep now I'd honestly be able to enjoy it more, AP is much more delicate than Rolexes or even other lux watches I own.

The reps are playing more of a part because even if you had the money there's literally less than 1% of getting this watch at the retail, more like double retail at the moment for this watch or 75% over retail for a secondhand RO. Which is totally crazy and not worth the money for this watch.

Kimmeren123

10/11/16
Norway
is there any DW mods awailable? also if i get one i will want xtal swap both sides rebrush to a more gen like brush pattern and a relume job, im about to pull the trigger but only if i can get all the work done in EU? if anyone is interested in modding/servicing my new watch swap xtals and sorce a better DW and use some quality lume i have a open wallet and im down to listen to sugestions! i want the gen feel without any gen parts, i have a franken Breitling SA that is basicly gen and ive spent more than a gen would normally run for so i wanna see what the modders can do!

Reactions: vcappp

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
is there any DW mods awailable? also if i get one i will want xtal swap both sides rebrush to a more gen like brush pattern and a relume job, im about to pull the trigger but only if i can get all the work done in EU? if anyone is interested in modding/servicing my new watch swap xtals and sorce a better DW and use some quality lume i have a open wallet and im down to listen to sugestions! i want the gen feel without any gen parts, i have a franken Breitling SA that is basicly gen and ive spent more than a gen would normally run for so i wanna see what the modders can do!

The crystal is very good and so is the lume. I wouldn't change them. Gen parts is pretty much impossible to find. The brushing on my watch is also superb. Maybe a modder could make it better I don't know.

The only things I want to do is soften the edges and clean the bracelet and silence the rotor. Mine isn't very loud but I like my watches silent.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Not doubting your ability or inclination to spend, but the mods you listed are hardly relevant to making the watch more "gen like".
The watch needs no crystal upgrade or relume job. Datewheel is also no concern in real life.
Breitling is a very different game from AP, in terms of price level and also watch feel, so it is not really an appropriate example.
Basically for this watch what you need (and can) do is to silence the rotor bearing assembly and also bevel and polish the bracelet and case edges for a softer and better finish.
Not much else needs to be done. The mods you listed will hardly be noticeable in real life.

The movement is already a huge inhibition to the watch having a gen feel. Likewise for the dial texture (though I mistook a rep for a gen in a pic wkim8732 posted :hehehe:)
Maybe other gen owners of the 15500 like W whom I just tagged can give further opinions and suggestions.

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Just had the silver/white delivered. Beautiful but shame about the datewheel - definitely a print issue 1-10 and 24-31 fine, the rest a little sunken

V3oHZq.jpg

V3oLns.jpg

V3oXrh.jpg

V3o3J0.jpg

V3o4fD.jpg

V3oaXF.jpg

V3orzU.jpg

V3o5xr.jpg

V3oAd8.jpg