• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
What's the consensus on the colour options for the 15500 ZF? Any most accurate colour? Hoping for the blue!

If you like an accurate dial color, you’ll need to get the gen. This is a rep and none of the colors are 1:1, and all are close enough. Why don’t you get the color you like instead, unless you are looking to pass off the watch as a gen? In which case, again only the gen will do.
Get the color you like and enjoy the watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xilikon

20/8/19
Congratulations. I agree that your date is well centered in the calendar window, its perfect. If you have the time can you provide us with the lug to lug measurement or overall length? Thank you.

I will take measures tonight after work with pleasure.

Pflovee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/4/19
US
Just received it today, which was unexpectedly fast. I really love it and the date is well centered (if i tilt just slighty, it look not centered but when i look dead straight, it is). It’s a very lovely watch !

icXvI.jpg

icT64.jpg

ickjc.jpg

So beautiful. I was waiting for this since last year. Cant wait to order mine ????

krkqm2008

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/4/18
Dallas Texas
legend how does the open case back movement look to you ? I know the 15400 is a dead give away because the balance wheel doesn’t have those little ball looking things on it , but what about the looks of this movement? Still a dead give away?

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
legend how does the open case back movement look to you ? I know the 15400 is a dead give away because the balance wheel doesn’t have those little ball looking things on it , but what about the looks of this movement? Still a dead give away?

Nothing like gen but you won’t be wearing it reversed do you? LOL
The miyota compared to AP caliber is twisted like it was in the 15400

Reactions: krkqm2008

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

It’s a dead giveaway of course, not just the balance wheel but the entire caliber. The looks of the jewel, engravings and finish are nothing like the gen. For the balance wheel it’s not about the way it looks but the position of it VS the gen.
Were you referring to the rotor assembly instead when you mentioned bearings? Be it 15400 or 15500, they use the same base movement and neither of them resembles the gen in the slightest.
But I agree with aristole, the movement decorations are perfunctory at best and insignificant when watch is worn on the wrist. The decorations are pointless because nobody should want to admire a miyota 9015 movement, decorated with faux plates and faux jewels and poor finishing and engravings. The miyota 9015 is a movement befitting a $400 watch and reliable and a good alternative to the gen caliber: both make the watch tick on the wrist and aren’t seen when watch is worn.

So if you’re asking me, yes the caliber is a tell. An instant tell when viewed by someone who knows what to look for. But it is a tell which does not matter when you’re wearing the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Waiting on QC for the blue - it's underwhelming in the TD pics but hopefully Tim's QC in natural light will help me realise if it's worth it or I flip for a grey one

Xilikon

20/8/19
Waiting on QC for the blue - it's underwhelming in the TD pics but hopefully Tim's QC in natural light will help me realise if it's worth it or I flip for a grey one

QC pics is usually underwhelming but when you see on your wrist, it's a real beauty. I have the grey one and posted photos here ;)

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
QC pics is usually underwhelming but when you see on your wrist, it's a real beauty. I have the grey one and posted photos here ;)

Agree but the blue dial lacks sunburst on TD pics, almost looks like a matte blue. With Tim’s QC the lighting isn’t generally artificial so should get a better representation of the watch

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
If its anything like the 15400 from zf the sunburst is very feint in comparison to jf. Not sure whats more gen like but i do prefer the sunburst from jf. Especially the earlier models.

N0tail_

1/6/17
Anything V3-V5 onwards looks dull in comparison to the ZF, only the JF V2 had a nice blue sunburst. I never understand why people say the JF has a sunburst, I bought a JF V3 and V4 thinking the dial colour was updated but it looks like trash compared to the original blue V2 I had.

JF pales in comparison to the ZF.

6-A395-AC9-6-A36-4-D0-F-AF3-D-E9-B8243-D3-B03.jpg

Reactions: Rolemars

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Anything V3-V5 onwards looks dull in comparison to the ZF, only the JF V2 had a nice blue sunburst. I never understand why people say the JF has a sunburst, I bought a JF V3 and V4 thinking the dial colour was updated but it looks like trash compared to the original blue V2 I had.

JF pales in comparison to the ZF.

I mostly agree with you.
Looks wise, the JF V3-V5 blue isn't inaccurate, but rather, replicates a different series compared with the ZF. (late H-I vs J/K)
Both variants exist in gen, and I agree with you that the ZF dial color looks better compared with the recent JF ones.
I will personally think of swapping the datewheel over if you own both the JF and ZF.. the ZF date font seems to be a tad too small vs gen upon casual inspection. I have not studied this in detail to verify this though. I also will not be too hung up over the "sunburst"(or lack of).. gen color exists in a few variants and mine is almost matte, but it is still a gen.

Once again, don't compare pics or video online vs the rep in hand. Do a proper comparison with both in hand to be conclusive about color and tone. :)

Reactions: Allure

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Im working on the 15400 mega comparison. Got pics of both zf colours, blue v2 jf, black v5, hopefully blue v5 and omf blue. Plus legends gen when he gets a minute :)

Last edited:

Xilikon

20/8/19
Im working on the 15400 mega comparison. Got pics of both zf colours, blue v2 jf, black v5, hopefully blue v5 and omf blue. Plus legends gen when he gets a minute :)

Here, it's the 15500, not the 15400 in case you got things mixed up.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Here, it's the 15500, not the 15400 in case you got things mixed up.
I know its just the sunburst effect was mentioned and although jf dont make a 15500 i was just saying that the zf 15400 doesn’t have as much of an obvious sunburst as the jf. Other than that the zf is better in almost every aspect.

Xilikon

20/8/19
I know its just the sunburst effect was mentioned and although jf dont make a 15500 i was just saying that the zf 15400 doesn’t have as much of an obvious sunburst as the jf. Other than that the zf is better in almost every aspect.

If it is just about the dial and effects, then it's a good idea to compare :thumbup: