• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

Taffybag39

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/19
I’m thinking going rose gold 15500 on strap. Yes there will be a weight difference compared to the gen but slightly so as I’m not going with the rose gold bracelet. I haven’t gone with a rose gold rep before, but does the rose gold colour change or fade over time? Anyone who has experience with a rose gold rep , would be great to hear some feedback.

p.s I’m not going full gold with bracelet because the weight is a big giveaway, but I’m assuming that won’t be much of a problem with the strap rose gold model. Also bracelets are easily scratched and scratching a rose gold rep can be a disaster.

The factory pink gold plating on all the 15500 reps I have seen have coloration which has been significantly different then the pink gold found on gen 15500’s. Normally I wouldn’t say anything, but you seem to be searching for something as gen like as possible, based on you comments about weight difference, so I figured you may want to know about the color difference.

Also note that neither JF or ZF make a pink gold 15500 rep, that I have seen. The only ones I found were OMF factory, and I can not speak to the accuracies of those models, and they also sell them with blue, black and white dials, and as far as I know AP only makes the black dial and pink gold variation if the 15500.

Kmmas

7/4/15
Thankyou for the info.

yes I’m sorry I think I got confused. JF makes a 15400 in gold. Does that have the coloration issue aswell that you mentioned?

yes I’m trying to stay as close to the gen as possible but wanted to go gold a bit, obviously if it’s close to the gen. if even JF 1has colour issues like you mention then I’d rather skip altogether and try to control my gold bug :(

The factory pink gold plating on all the 15500 reps I have seen have coloration which has been significantly different then the pink gold found on gen 15500’s. Normally I wouldn’t say anything, but you seem to be searching for something as gen like as possible, based on you comments about weight difference, so I figured you may want to know about the color difference.

Also note that neither JF or ZF make a pink gold 15500 rep, that I have seen. The only ones I found were OMF factory, and I can not speak to the accuracies of those models, and they also sell them with blue, black and white dials, and as far as I know AP only makes the black dial and pink gold variation if the 15500.

Taffybag39

26/7/19
Thankyou for the info.

yes I’m sorry I think I got confused. JF makes a 15400 in gold. Does that have the coloration issue aswell that you mentioned?

I am not sure about the 15400, it’s probably best to ask in the 15400 thread. Or ask legend in a PM. He loves responding to PM’s chock full o questions.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
For someone as active and knowledgeable as yourself, I'm shocked to hear you rarely wear watches! My assumption was that you'd have a watch wrapped around your wrist all day, every day!

Thank you. That's interesting to hear and has helped me make my decision! ZF 15500 with the Grey dial is going to be my next purchase!

I do have a decent collection but lets just say I wear watches 1-2 days a week. I do spend a lot of time working using hands, and watches aren't really conducive to the process and adds nothing except scratch/marring risks. I did however wear my gen grey 15500 yesterday so you can look at it in the AP pics section if you want as I posted a pic.

Reactions: Allure

bupeapoop

5/9/20
How is the grey dial vs gen these days?

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to ask. Legend would be your best bet. All I know is the Grey dial alongside that Stainless Steel bracelet looks incredible.

From what I've heard though, the Grey dial is no where near as close to Gen as the Blue dial is. That's why when you see most Reps, it always seems to be the Blue dial in circulation. That's my guess anyway!

Reactions: Aplex

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'm afraid I'm not the best person to ask. Legend would be your best bet. All I know is the Grey dial alongside that Stainless Steel bracelet looks incredible.

From what I've heard though, the Grey dial is no where near as close to Gen as the Blue dial is. That's why when you see most Reps, it always seems to be the Blue dial in circulation. That's my guess anyway!

I may not necessarily be the best person to ask but I’m one of those who know among many.

The rep grey is still darker and glossier than the gen one but the dial color can be modded to look very close to the gen.

Here is a gen grey 15500 dial. You can see the lighter grey, crisp tapisseries and the superb finish which the rep is lacking.
88363e22010d7f9889a5cebee768d814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Aplex

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I may not necessarily be the best person to ask but I’m one of those who know among many.

The rep grey is still darker and glossier than the gen one but the dial color can be modded to look very close to the gen.

Here is a gen grey 15500 dial. You can see the lighter grey, crisp tapisseries and the superb finish which the rep is lacking.
88363e22010d7f9889a5cebee768d814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aplex

11/11/18
Thanks both!

The grey dial is a beauty. Not like gen as I can see. But I think if we don’t compare side by side the difference won’t be noticed in a second.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I won’t. Maybe you can be kind enough to answer here :)

A properly plated and maintained RG 15400 will be reasonably durable. I will recommend you look for Nikz19 to do this. The last I heard, he plates dinner plates with platinum and has his dinner on them at home. In fact the guy plates everything he could lay his hands on, and rumor has it that he has a gold plated brother who gets kidnapped every few weeks.
So Nikz19 is your guy.

Aplex

11/11/18
Does anyone know if ZF has lost some factory’s/machines during the current raids?

I have read they are in business again but can they deliver the old quality as before the raids?

Dragonfly35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
Does anyone know if ZF has lost some factory’s/machines during the current raids?

I have read they are in business again but can they deliver the old quality as before the raids?

You have to ask to the chineese policeman who made the seizure....

Jasian

20/4/21
Wow....its so beautiful! I am sure it looks more stunning in actual. Can share which factory and anything else u did to the watch besides the above stated?

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

Last edited: