• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
i think many of us AT THIS POINT would do with a non working chrono a-la-ARF Daytona but thinner (also i can't believe they have to be 15mm++ right now but that's another story) and with proper dw position

Even the chrono function on the gen sucks, ironically. Just last month, I had a friend who bought a brand new gen 44mm from AP, and while waiting for the paperwork to be filled, engaged the chrono in the boutique, and the chrono hand basically reset to the 58 seconds marker instead of the 60 seconds one. So watch was handed back to the SA, even before it was worn lol.
Anecdotes aside, I do agree that from an aesthetic point of view, the chrono should be sacrificed if it improves the thickness, and DW position (using the A2892/A2824 movement for example). I am not a fan of the chronograph function, even on gen watches. If I really need to time something, I use my phone.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Even the chrono function on the gen sucks, ironically. Just last month, I had a friend who bought a brand new gen 44mm from AP, and while waiting for the paperwork to be filled, engaged the chrono in the boutique, and the chrono hand basically reset to the 58 seconds marker instead of the 60 seconds one. So watch was handed back to the SA, even before it was worn lol.
Anecdotes aside, I do agree that from an aesthetic point of view, the chrono should be sacrificed if it improves the thickness, and DW position (using the A2892/A2824 movement for example). I am not a fan of the chronograph function, even on gen watches. If I really need to time something, I use my phone.

yeah nobody likes to fiddle with the chrono if they know it's a time bomb (a7750 / LWO / gen). I played with my noob daytona a bit once only just to see the hand moving past 1 minute but as you said if i need to time anything the phone is a much better option

Reactions: legend

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
It will remain a dream for a long time to come, though the gen AP caliber is nothing to be impressed about technically.
It is still using a stacked chrono module and it is still prone to issues with the chronograph. I believe that factory decisions are based on demand, and technical feasibility, in that order.
I have NO doubt that the factories can clone the AP3126/3840 caliber with enough demand and price each rep at what.. $1200-1500?
I consider the gen ROO movement to be dated vs its competitors, and an upgrade is long due.
Who knows, maybe the rep makers will start cloning the 2019 42mm ROO with the 3-6-9 subdials layout instead. I would have bought that in gen when offered, if not for the condom shaped hands lol.

Holy words... my 15400 had to be serviced after less than 5 years because it was losing more than 5 minutes a day...never had any issues with other brands...I have Rollies who have been on my wrist for 10 years without need to be serviced. Fully agree with you.

XLR8R

Renowned Member
16/8/18
A2892 and Duboiz Depraz 2020 module would be the best alternative for the closed back ROO models. Only thing they need to rep is that module inorder to create rep LWO movement that would solve our issues at ROO datewheel position issue. Calibre 3126 is Calibre 3120 + DD2020 module on top of it so that is that.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoyania

Kmmas

7/4/15
Is the ZF 15500 officially out yet? Don’t see any pics around. oP posted this in July, it’s november now, so I would assume it’s out?

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Is the ZF 15500 officially out yet? Don’t see any pics around. oP posted this in July, it’s november now, so I would assume it’s out?

Kobe said december for the release date

Reactions: Kmmas

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

The 15500 was designed by AP to be difficult to replicate but I will always enjoy seeing the rep makers challenge this and succeed, at least providing a passing semblance of the gen, if they cannot get the engineering replicated.
JF got the 15500 case proportions completely wrong and I think it’s back to the drawing room for them on this. I hope ZF does a better job. The 15500 is a beautiful sporty royal oak and I do want a decent rep to be released. Here’s mine while waiting.
ae3c11bce3cce64798092b5dcd4e64bb.jpg

Kmmas

7/4/15
The 15500 was designed by AP to be difficult to replicate but I will always enjoy seeing the rep makers challenge this and succeed, at least providing a passing semblance of the gen, if they cannot get the engineering replicated.
JF got the 15500 case proportions completely wrong and I think it’s back to the drawing room for them on this. I hope ZF does a better job. The 15500 is a beautiful sporty royal oak and I do want a decent rep to be released. Here’s mine while waiting.
ae3c11bce3cce64798092b5dcd4e64bb.jpg

Is that a Gen? Beautiful!

Last edited:

Shadow_

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
11/6/09
does gen comes in usual black blue white and gray? so hard to see them around, can't believe even those are getting flipped

Shadow_

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
11/6/09
Hope they come out with a “no grooved logo box” dial soon

kobe24

Renowned Member
19/7/16
ZF is still fixing the DW font.

I think no maker can print the correct 15500 DW, it's too hard for rep DW printer.

Let's see whether they can make it out.

P1111649.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
ZF is still fixing the DW font.

I think no maker can print the correct 15500 DW, it's too hard for rep DW printer.

Let's see whether they can make it out.

In your opinion what’s wrong with the rep 15500 dw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Thanks kobe24 for the feedback, for a 1st iteration it's not that bad (personal advice here)