• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

APNL2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/4/20
The date is slightly misaligned on a few dates, but its perfectly acceptable. And many genuine models have similar issues, like Pateks for example... so meh it's not really noticeable on wrist. Really from first hand experience of two of them, never bothered me and I'm quite picky.

As for the screws? What do you mean? On the two that I've had they were perfect? They don't quite look as warm as white gold... but they're steel so what do you expect? Or am I missing something?

It's a great rep, don't miss out!

Yes the date is too high for most days, It is something that bother me, otherwise it is a fanastically beautiful watch. When the date alignment is resolved, I also order 1.

The screws are a little too low, but they generally look good.

Greets

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
Perfectly aligned dw, the blue on a RO strike every time! Stunning, more i see 15500 blue dial more i want to buy a 15500,i remember myself when i was saying that the 15500 was ugly, when we say in my country, only idiots don't change their minds.

The 15500 looks even better in real life. The 'empty space' is exaggerated in pictures. It makes the 15400 look a bit old hat in comparison.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes the date is too high for most days, It is something that bother me, otherwise it is a fanastically beautiful watch. When the date alignment is resolved, I also order 1.

The screws are a little too low, but they generally look good.

Greets

So... no JF 15500 for you this time? :hehehe:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Perfectly aligned dw, the blue on a RO strike every time! Stunning, more i see 15500 blue dial more i want to buy a 15500,i remember myself when i was saying that the 15500 was ugly, when we say in my country, only idiots don't change their minds.

I came to Canossa as well. The more I see it the more I like it and knowinf the rep is that close is really easing my mind ( i prefer 15202 for dimensions but a grey or maybe white dial in future 15500 could be a nice addition)

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
I do not own a single rep so maybe I’m not qualified to give this advice....

Legend, I am very surprised reading this... Why wouldn’t you own any single rep ??.... That is a genuine question...

your contribution to this community is 2nd to none... but for you not to own any single rep I find it odd...

Please do not misread me , I am not being judgmental or anything maybe just overly curious...

Cheers

Reactions: legend

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi
Alea iacta est!
Finally I too decided to buy my first rep. The choice went on the ZF AP 15500 black dial, especially after reading your very useful comments and suggestions. Thank you all!
As a discreet AP connoisseur, I know I will have to "tolerate" some flaws and shortcomings that any rep has, but I'm pretty sure I made a good purchase. In pics the watch is extraordinarily beautiful and seems to be very well made and, as I said, your comments have been truly illuminating.
I purchased from KSwatches after a very fast and friendly exchange of emails. The watch was in stock in the UK and is on its way to my home in Rome. So I avoided the long process of a purchase from China. As soon as I receive it, I will be happy to share my new purchase with you and to know what you think. Thanks again!
wlxIF.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gilrob and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Legend, I am very surprised reading this... Why wouldn’t you own any single rep ??.... That is a genuine question...

your contribution to this community is 2nd to none... but for you not to own any single rep I find it odd...

Please do not misread me , I am not being judgmental or anything maybe just overly curious...

Cheers

No worries fire007 I’ll answer you directly.
Before I joined RWI back in 2010 I was already a gen watch collector. In between 2010-2018 was when I experimented with various reps and I was still building my gen collection slowly during this time.
I sold off my last rep in 2018 and decided to stay with gens not because the reps aren’t good enough for me, but because I realized that with a pedantic nature like mine, flaws and tells may not be seen by others, but I was very much aware of them. I wear watches mostly for myself and you understand that each rep or franken will eventually reach the “it’s not perfect to me” moment.
At one time I was one of the most prolific owners of AP frankens here (I had 12 at a single time in 2015-2016) but sold each one off as even the best build failed my expectation eventually.
Right now I own over 30 pieces of gen AP, Rolex and Patek and I also own some frivolous pieces like sevenfriday and azimuth.
Reps are excellent for wearing and for serving as beaters. But I am a watch collector and I enjoy admiring watch calibers and brand heritage and on a social level, enjoying various launch events offered by the brand boutiques.
So this is my personal journey and everyone’s is different. For those who purely enjoy wearing watches for their own enjoyment, reps serve that purpose very well. The fact is I do not enjoy wearing Rolex or Patek watches and most of these watches in my collection are brand new and unworn and I admit I hoard them like a dragon hoards treasure. There is the occasional Patek like the 5270G which I put on for some events but for daily wears, it’s mostly either AP or some micro brand or no watch at all.
I like reps as much as the next guy here and the reps these days look unbelievably good on the wrist. It’s just that my spectrum of enjoying watches goes far beyond just wearing them and I do like the ownership perks and privileges which come from being a high-tiered client at the gen boutiques.

Ben_Stokes

14/4/20
Before I joined RWI back in 2010 I was already a gen watch collector. In between 2010-2018 was when I experimented with various reps and I was still building my gen collection slowly during this time.
I sold off my last rep in 2018 and decided to stay with gens not because the reps aren’t good enough for me, but because I realized that with a pedantic nature like mine, flaws and tells may not be seen by others, but I was very much aware of them. I wear watches mostly for myself and you understand that each rep or franken will eventually reach the “it’s not perfect to me” moment.
At one time I was one of the most prolific owners of AP frankens here (I had 12 at a single time in 2015-2016) but sold each one off as even the best build failed my expectation eventually.
Right now I own over 30 pieces of gen AP, Rolex and Patek and I also own some frivolous pieces like sevenfriday and azimuth.
Reps are excellent for wearing and for serving as beaters. But I am a watch collector and I enjoy admiring watch calibers and brand heritage and on a social level, enjoying various launch events offered by the brand boutiques.
So this is my personal journey and everyone’s is different. For those who purely enjoy wearing watches for their own enjoyment, reps serve that purpose very well. The fact is I do not enjoy wearing Rolex or Patek watches and most of these watches in my collection are brand new and unworn and I admit I hoard them like a dragon hoards treasure. There is the occasional Patek like the 5270G which I put on for some events but for daily wears, it’s mostly either AP or some micro brand or no watch at all.
I like reps as much as the next guy here and the reps these days look unbelievably good on the wrist. It’s just that my spectrum of enjoying watches goes far beyond just wearing them and I do like the ownership perks and privileges which come from being a high-tiered client at the gen boutiques.

I'm exactly in the same boat, although I started off with reps, bought my 1st Gen (JLC Reverso Grande Date), then bought more reps such as Rolexes. AP, Patek. I then progressed in my career & had 1 experience with a rep where the links became loose & it fell of my wrist. Although no one saw me & I wasn't at work, it was always at the back of my mind it could happen when it would be highly embarassing.

So I gradually sold off my reps, got a Rolex Bluesey Gen, Gen AP15400 and my favourite, a Piaget polo 45.

Now I'm down to 3 Gens - the Piaget, Rolex DJ41 & Cartier de Santos. I have 1 rep, a blue YM which I've lost lol.

And I too like the feeling of achievement and owning such timepieces, investing into the brand and the perks of owning Gens going into Boutiques. Just very small touches but when I went into the Cartier boutique on my birthday, I got to have their Cartier champagne, if I go on another day I always get to use their lounge, drink some coffee & some freebies that they sometimes give out. It may sound like very small benefits but it's all part of the overall experience for me

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'm exactly in the same boat, although I started off with reps, bought my 1st Gen (JLC Reverso Grande Date), then bought more reps such as Rolexes. AP, Patek. I then progressed in my career & had 1 experience with a rep where the links became loose & it fell of my wrist. Although no one saw me & I wasn't at work, it was always at the back of my mind it could happen when it would be highly embarassing.

So I gradually sold off my reps, got a Rolex Bluesey Gen, Gen AP15400 and my favourite, a Piaget polo 45.

Now I'm down to 3 Gens - the Piaget, Rolex DJ41 & Cartier de Santos. I have 1 rep, a blue YM which I've lost lol.

And I too like the feeling of achievement and owning such timepieces, investing into the brand and the perks of owning Gens going into Boutiques. Just very small touches but when I went into the Cartier boutique on my birthday, I got to have their Cartier champagne, if I go on another day I always get to use their lounge, drink some coffee & some freebies that they sometimes give out. It may sound like very small benefits but it's all part of the overall experience for me

Yes. You get it. It’s exactly what I’m speaking of in a nutshell. :qtip2:

Reactions: Allure

Ben_Stokes

14/4/20
Yes. You get it. It’s exactly what I’m speaking of in a nutshell. :qtip2:

Thanks mate

But don't get me wrong, there is still a place for reps and cheaper Gens. I just got myself a CasioOak as a gym watch, and really enjoying it so far.

Also, when I travel I have never taken my Rolexes on any trips or my AP and I just feel with a nice rep you can still present yourself as a watch nerd but not risk thousands of dollars worth of timepieces if you leave it in your hotel room or in a taxi somewhere in a foreign country

Hertzen

12/4/20
Also, when I travel I have never taken my Rolexes on any trips or my AP and I just feel with a nice rep you can still present yourself as a watch nerd but not risk thousands of dollars worth of timepieces if you leave it in your hotel room or in a taxi somewhere in a foreign country

Same for me. Before I always took my gens when I went on relatively safe trips (e.g. trips to large cities with a SO) and did not take watches to the trips where I know that amount of fun might be too much. Now I would just take my rep for second type of trips : )

dla329

27/10/19
Here is a comparison between gen and zf 15500 (black one) under Micro lens:
https://youtu.be/MSIgAiX5Mn4

It looks good enough to me. He partially have to use 30x Zoom to see some diffrents in Dial an Hands.

The bezel finish need to be improven, but could maybe fixed by a watch smith or the next Version.

Luizin2004

Renowned Member
11/1/11

Respect.

And i know what you mean.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
legend thank you for your kind answer .

i hear where you are coming from.

I believe gens are pretty good investments if you are savvy at it and know what/how to buy them.

I sold my gens to fund an investment I could not pass on... Now I get pretty solid cash flows out of it... I could go back in the Gen game...

But I somehow can’t help think that I can pretty much the same satisfaction owning a quality rep for a fraction of the price = that is truly where the value is for reps...

Of course they are no gens and devil is in the details but they are certainly good enough for me and do the job which is pleasing my eyes and wrist :)

cheers