• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
How about on a diver? On mine you can the bottom of the previous date, but only on the 20’s.

Barely visible from straight on, but more visible from an angle:
IMHO T, if you can see the next date at any angle, the date can be better aligned, from an aesthetic point of view. The good news is that this can be done by a modder and not necessarily achieved only at QC level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and teaston

teaston

20/3/16
UK
IMHO T, if you can see the next date at any angle, the date can be better aligned, from an aesthetic point of view. The good news is that this can be done by a modder and not necessarily achieved only at QC level.

What would be involved in realigning the dw on a 9015?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
What would be involved in realigning the dw on a 9015?

Fundamentally the first step is to dismantle the movement and remount the datewheel properly. (We are talking about micro to minor adjustments here) It’s also a good time to check the date gears for damage and dirt and clean them out where necessary.

The above won’t apply if it’s a flaw with the datewheel printing. And you can tell this if only certain dates are misaligned VS the entire datewheel being misaligned consistently the same way for every date.

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi
Hello everyone! I'm new in this forum and I'm learning a lot by reading the various discussions. I am an AP enthusiast and personally I own two vintage gen Royal Oaks (also because of my vintage age :))) ). I would like ask you a question: I have always known that the octagonal screws of the bezel of the Royal Oak gen are in white gold (rhodium-plated), what material is used in the rep? I could not find anything on this matter. I ask this question because the white gold screws are very (well) noticeable on the steel bezel. Thank you!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hello everyone! I'm new in this forum and I'm learning a lot by reading the various discussions. I am an AP enthusiast and personally I own two vintage gen Royal Oaks (also because of my vintage age :))) ). I would like ask you a question: I have always known that the octagonal screws of the bezel of the Royal Oak gen are in white gold (rhodium-plated), what material is used in the rep? I could not find anything on this matter. I ask this question because the white gold screws are very (well) noticeable on the steel bezel. Thank you!

The bezel screws on the reps are made from 316L stainless steel, and have a polished finish.

Reactions: Allure

teaston

20/3/16
UK
Fundamentally the first step is to dismantle the movement and remount the datewheel properly. (We are talking about micro to minor adjustments here) It’s also a good time to check the date gears for damage and dirt and clean them out where necessary.

The above won’t apply if it’s a flaw with the datewheel printing. And you can tell this if only certain dates are misaligned VS the entire datewheel being misaligned consistently the same way for every date.

It’s definitely the entire datewheel misaligned by the same amount on every date. Only on the 20s it’s possible to see the previous date due to the location of the bottom left corner of the 2 digit.

So is it possible to realign the dw, or does the dwo need to be detached from the dw and glued back in the correct position?

Reactions: Swiss_goupil

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It’s definitely the entire datewheel misaligned by the same amount on every date. Only on the 20s it’s possible to see the previous date due to the location of the bottom left corner of the 2 digit.

So is it possible to realign the dw, or does the dwo need to be detached from the dw and glued back in the correct position?

For different cases, different things need to be done. I’ve aligned both DW+DWO and DWO alone. It all depends as you can well imagine.
Aligning DWO is an onerous task for me haha, so all the best with that mate!

teaston

20/3/16
UK
For different cases, different things need to be done. I’ve aligned both DW+DWO and DWO alone. It all depends as you can well imagine.
Aligning DWO is an onerous task for me haha, so all the best with that mate!

I won’t be trying that on my own then!

Also at extreme angle there is a visible white line at the left of the date window, but only from about 18 to 29, so I guess the dwo is also installed very slightly off centre on the dw!

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Here’s my grey dial being taken for a spin around the house while in lockdown:

VXPBDh.jpg

VXP5h6.jpg

VXPrks.jpg

VXPmKq.jpg

From a search in chrono it seems there may be two grey dial variants, some darker like this and some very light like Legends but I’m sure he can chime in if I’m incorrect

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

From a search in chrono it seems there may be two grey dial variants, some darker like this and some very light like Legends but I’m sure he can chime in if I’m incorrect

It’s just the lighting S. There’s just one grey. It can look light or dark depending on the light.
I like your grey dial and the way you wear it. Keep it up mate.

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi
The bezel screws on the reps are made from 316L stainless steel, and have a polished finish.

Thanks Legend for your reply! I wonder, why such a distinctive element has been overlooked in the best reps? The warm white of the white gold screws (hexagonal, not octagonal, sorry for that) is immediately visible to the naked eye, more than the many defects highlighted in the discussions but which are visible only with a magnifying glass. Or is it a type of stainless steel that imitates the warmth of white gold? Sorry for my insistence but it seems to me that is a very important detail :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks Legend for your reply! I wonder, why such a distinctive element has been overlooked in the best reps? The warm white of the white gold screws (hexagonal, not octagonal, sorry for that) is immediately visible to the naked eye, more than the many defects highlighted in the discussions but which are visible only with a magnifying glass. Or is it a type of stainless steel that imitates the warmth of white gold? Sorry for my insistence but it seems to me that is a very important detail :)

I do get it that different aspects of the watch are important to us. And it’s interesting what you brought up, because hardly anyone will say the same! To answer your question the rep bezel screws are just polished stainless steel and they will not look like white gold if you know what to look for.

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi
I do get it that different aspects of the watch are important to us. And it’s interesting what you brought up, because hardly anyone will say the same! To answer your question the rep bezel screws are just polished stainless steel and they will not look like white gold if you know what to look for.

I really appreciate your wise answer, thanks for your patience, Legend.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I really appreciate your wise answer, thanks for your patience, Legend.

I appreciate your reply too. Usually for a guy who appreciates what I post, 10 are waiting in line to throw rocks at me. :hehehe:
Seriously though thank you for bringing a rarely discussed aspect of the ROO into consideration. I’ll go look at my gens to see if I can spot the difference you have spoken of.

prolex_

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
27/4/20

VXPBDh.jpg

VXP5h6.jpg

VXPrks.jpg

VXPmKq.jpg

Looks great! Is it the ZF?

Reactions: ettorefranco

Legacyy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/3/20
For the dw, it is very acceptable for a rep. I have seen gen 15500s with less than perfect date alignment too.
Don't be too fastidious about the watch, it will never be mistaken for a gen even if it has a perfect date alignment.
Thanks for being honest.

I actually bought it for the look of the watch and dial, which I think is really awesome.
I doubt anyone will know or even recognize the brand of the watch.

Gesendet von meinem ANE-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: legend

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi

Thanks Legend!
This ugly pic of my day date RO taken with my iPhone shows what I'm talking about. IMO a Royal Oak rep that does not have those inserts (screws, clock hands, logo, etc.) in warm white like white gold, will be immediately recognizable as a fake.
Or maybe the last RO no longer have this feature? Maybe I'm not updated :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Thanks Legend!
This ugly pic of my day date RO taken with my iPhone shows what I'm talking about. IMO a Royal Oak rep that does not have those inserts (screws, clock hands, logo, etc.) in warm white like white gold, will be immediately recognizable as a fake.
Or maybe the last RO no longer have this feature? Maybe I'm not updated :)

Oh, that looks pretty obvious on your RO.
The modern ones have the screws almost the same tone as the steel.
cfcd48cae30a56da6d2400f60ec8b66a.jpg

d42bb1e5638c40c1d63c32f9885274ce.jpg

Are you able to see the difference on mine above?

Reactions: Allure and Rolemars