• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

KC0h

Horology Curious
28/12/19
I’ve been following this discussion for a while now. Very interesting.

Just purchased one this morning. I’ll let you know when I receive QC pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
The datewheel font does not have the micro-gaps at the joints of the arms. The lower joint of the "2" in 28 should have the micro gap at a 45 degree angle and it's missing. The font they presented earlier looked 'good enough', and due to date wheel printers lacking that type of micro equipment, I bet ZF just wanted to release it for now. Look specifically at the 8 in "18" and the "2" in "12" to see

P1111649.jpg

WumqL.png

These are great observations.
I am partial to that font style which has been used for subdial numeral markings on some AP ROOs since at least the late G or H series.
It’s not obvious, but it is highly stylized and perhaps another example of evolution of the design language towards modernity while perhaps serving a small anti counterfeiting purpose.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The datewheel font does not have the micro-gaps at the joints of the arms. The lower joint of the "2" in 28 should have the micro gap at a 45 degree angle and it's missing. The font they presented earlier looked 'good enough', and due to date wheel printers lacking that type of micro equipment, I bet ZF just wanted to release it for now. Look specifically at the 8 in "18" and the "2" in "12" to see

]

Thank you kindly, this is very useful information for me, and helps me to appreciate the intricate details of the gen datewheel.

Reactions: Allure

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Puretime is still the prototpye dial, look at "Swiss Made" its still misses the texture like the prototype watch on page 1. Iam so sick of this prototype bullshit.

They did the same shit with the 15400 which has still the prototype dial on their page lol (look at swiss made its still the wrong dial).

SHB i think you did mentioned it right? With the 15400 dial and the flat swiss made.

Yes, from what i've heard from a contact and confirmed by Kobe24, there's two version of the dial, the actual and the flat swiss made that match an other series of 15400.
Been tried to order the flat version, zf said not ready yet, maybe after cny (contact words). This is for the 15400.

For the 15500 the story might be different, this might be just the prototype given to td's and final product might be differ.

Note: Not an expert at all with the 15500.

Reactions: vcappp

jcguo0516

4/12/18
is the black dial available yet? recently bought a blue dial 15400, xf 15202, with the black dial 15500, i will have the holy trinity of AP

Last edited:

reppists

MULTI ACCOUNT
10/3/18
I'll answer some of the questions regarding to the movement, ZF knew exactly the datewheel window is further to the right compared to the 15400 before they started the project, one of the solutions is to create a wider datewheel disk as well as a disk holder to reach to the further right. Since ZF wants to rush the product out before CNY, they couldn't bother to modify the balance wheel position to the correct 7-8 O'Clock position, basically just slap in some decoration plates is fine (it's a tell anyways if you see the movement)