• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has anyone done a franken 15706 XF?

uphoto

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/6/18
I’m in love with this watch and taking it to another level. I have a powermatic 80 movement coming in a donor watch and 2 x AR crystal and new cyclops being done soon from prof.

Looking at dials, rear cover and tachy maybe too. What do you guys think or what has been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’m in love with this watch and taking it to another level. I have a powermatic 80 movement coming in a donor watch and 2 x AR crystal and new cyclops being done soon from prof.

Looking at dials, rear cover and tachy maybe too. What do you guys think or what has been done.

I personally think that the p80 movement is the wrong choice. The original A2836 can be converted to low beat and it has the instant date change feature as per gen. Also the factory dw for the ceramic diver is very good. In theory of course you can get as many gen parts as you can but in reality I think that they’re a lot more rare to come by.
Besides, you’re not going to have a lot more visual distinction after you’ve completed your franken with gen dial etc. I will advise you to just go the modded route and if that does not satisfy you, then neither will a franken of this model and you will need to go gen.

Reactions: Allure and Pdatoon

uphoto

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/6/18
I was going more for reliability and longer power reserve with the powermatic, maybe wrong on those but it was much easier to have something that drops in and done.

After the crystal and cyclops change I have a feeling maybe just the back case and maybe a gen band might be enough to hold me over, I've always liked the dial on the XF v2 and maybe seeing it a little clearer will be enough.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I was going more for reliability and longer power reserve with the powermatic, maybe wrong on those but it was much easier to have something that drops in and done.

After the crystal and cyclops change I have a feeling maybe just the back case and maybe a gen band might be enough to hold me over, I've always liked the dial on the XF v2 and maybe seeing it a little clearer will be enough.

Of course the P80 remains a viable option as a replacement movement and your preference is eventually the deciding factor.
It is not a “more reliable” movement in terms of maintenability but it works well enough as an option as mentioned.
For this model of diver, just modding it without going down the franken route will yield you very good results visually and you can replace parts with gen ones as they come along.
Good luck with your project, sounds fun already.

Reactions: Allure