• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PT Posted a new 26331 Chrono by OMF.... Was Thickness Updated?

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Still 14 mm vs. 11 mm, center hand stack too big, non functional registers at 3 and 6.

If they were going to kill the registers at 3 and 6 why not just go full faux, fix center hands, put in a miyota and keep it 11 mm

A grail franken however if you can get all the gen parts

Reactions: csthe

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Still 14 mm vs. 11 mm, center hand stack too big, non functional registers at 3 and 6.

If they were going to kill the registers at 3 and 6 why not just go full faux, fix center hands, put in a miyota and keep it 11 mm

Hell, I am happy with my ARF Daytona with faux subdials, I agree they should do the same here. Is there any AP chrono that is about the same size as the 26331 that is a proper rep?

flofas

3/10/13
Europe

What would it take to franken it though? I've seen tosoboso 's franken where he used a Cartier 205 movement, gen dial, gen datewheel and gen hands. Cartier 205s and gen dials are not very hard to find but can you do it without gen datewheel and gen hands? And then pop them those in whenever you find them? That is the question...

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Hell, I am happy with my ARF Daytona with faux subdials, I agree they should do the same here. Is there any AP chrono that is about the same size as the 26331 that is a proper rep?

If you go for a Quartz you will have proper thicknes.. but its a Quartz so maybe not the same ”fun” :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
If you go for a Quartz you will have proper thicknes.. but its a Quartz so maybe not the same ”fun” :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Yeah, quartz is no good... would prefer a faux dial auto chrono like on the ARF. Who am I to ask for things though, it is up to our friends in China

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
A franken ROC that’s worthwhile is either a labor of love or an act of stubborn defiance and futility. As much as I love the effort and skill that went into @tosoboso’s build, his watch is truly a unicorn due to the rarity of parts and confluence of luck required to pull it off. I say if you’re spending $8k-$10k on a franken you can probably afford the gen watch and should go ahead and get that instead, because $20k at the boutique (use the same skills you use as a parts hound to haggle and charm the staff) for the real deal is a 1000x more secure investment.

Reactions: SuperLory

flofas

3/10/13
Europe
A franken ROC that’s worthwhile is either a labor of love or an act of stubborn defiance and futility. As much as I love the effort and skill that went into @tosoboso’s build, his watch is truly a unicorn due to the rarity of parts and confluence of luck required to pull it off. I say if you’re spending $8k-$10k on a franken you can probably afford the gen watch and should go ahead and get that instead, because $20k at the boutique (use the same skills you use as a parts hound to haggle and charm the staff) for the real deal is a 1000x more secure investment.

Thats a great way to put it. I guess frankening is best reserved for those easy-to-mod watches such as the newer Noob & ARF rolex releases, and the JF ROOs.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Thats a great way to put it. I guess frankening is best reserved for those easy-to-mod watches such as the newer Noob & ARF rolex releases, and the JF ROOs.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the ROC for a number of reasons that have been covered extensively. It is a Daytona killer if there ever was one. And I would do what tosoboso did in a heartbeat if i had the parts lined up, gaining from the considerable knowledge he has acquired from blazing this trail. At the same time I am considering taking the plunge for the gen at some point. The nice folks at the boutique are willing to deal it seems. If the difference is spending $7-9k for a really nice franken vs. having a $21-24k gen it will be tough.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the ROC for a number of reasons that have been covered extensively. It is a Daytona killer if there ever was one. And I would do what tosoboso did in a heartbeat if i had the parts lined up, gaining from the considerable knowledge he has acquired from blazing this trail. At the same time I am considering taking the plunge for the gen at some point. The nice folks at the boutique are willing to deal it seems. If the difference is spending $7-9k for a really nice franken vs. having a $21-24k gen it will be tough.

It’s a matter of personal preference, but the ROC is a watch I will likely never consider owning. I own both the gen black and white 116500LN ceramic Daytonas and a gen 116505 rose gold Daytona and to me the ROC does not compare at all with the Daytona, if I am to consider both as similar watches.
That is just my personal preference. I love the royal oak offshore and the 41mm royal oak classic (15400/15500) but never took to the ROC. However I’ll be happy to share your joy when you get your gen (or franken) as I do enjoy viewing beauties on the wrists of others. Let’s just say that for this specific model, it’s a watch I’ll enjoy looking at from afar rather than something I’ll enjoy owning.
Looking forward to your wristshots! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
The Daytona is a beautifully engineered watch with a standard-bearing movement. I use my chronos for utility but I’m also signing dates all day long. The date function is a must have for me... you have a truly enviable collection my friend.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The Daytona is a beautifully engineered watch with a standard-bearing movement. I use my chronos for utility but I’m also signing dates all day long. The date function is a must have for me... you have a truly enviable collection my friend.

I get what you mean my friend. If the date feature is a requirement for you, then in your case, it IS superior to the Daytona naturally!
I am just curious if you prefer the ROC over the 42mm ROO on bracelet personally?

Reactions: Allure

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I recently passed up a white gen 116500 at retail price, just couldn’t find the value in it :) I would choose the ROC over the Daytona all day any day :)

Jurgenk Even from a frankening point of view, the ROC is so much more interesting. Too bad those hands sets and dws are so hard to come by. There are still a few white dws available here and there so if someone could modd the hands for you you might have a way of building a white dial ROC franken :)

legend - I find the 11mm ROC much more wearable than a 42mm ROO on a bracelet. It catches far less door handles and walls, if any :)

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
making a good 10k profit flipping it straight away wasn't a good value motivation ? ;)

The dealers in the UK are working under instructions from the maker and are keeping the warranty and papers for a whole year after the sale :)

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
The dealers in the UK are working under instructions from the maker and are keeping the warranty and papers for a whole year after the sale :)

Without paperwork, you could still make a few k!

My honest opinion, is it is one of the best models out today by Rolex. They did not maxi the case like on the Sub, they just modernized a 20 year old watch with an updated clasp (which was done about 8 or so years ago) and a nice modern ceramic bezel. It retains a beautiful size, and robust movement.

I guess the 26331 convo is done as there is no real update to the super thick case (damn it!) a mm or two we could get away with... this is just too much.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I recently passed up a white gen 116500 at retail price, just couldn’t find the value in it :) I would choose the ROC over the Daytona all day any day :)

Jurgenk Even from a frankening point of view, the ROC is so much more interesting. Too bad those hands sets and dws are so hard to come by. There are still a few white dws available here and there so if someone could modd the hands for you you might have a way of building a white dial ROC franken :)

legend - I find the 11mm ROC much more wearable than a 42mm ROO on a bracelet. It catches far less door handles and walls, if any :)

Much respect to you for pulling off that project tosoboso, it’s a grail of a franken and a grail watch for me.

After adjusting my whole way of carrying my watch hand to allow wearing a 14.3-14.6 x 42 mm watch with huge lugs, anything that is less than 13 mm is just easy. Packing many of the design cues and all the functionality of a ROO in an 11 mm package is very appealing.

Last edited: