• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

**** V4 - What AP are you wearing today??? ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

littowun

Known Member
1/6/19
Not Applicable
stock Noob Schumacher "Platinum"

might be placebo but feels heavier than my Noob Schumacher Ti. Maybe the Ti was actually made of its namesake? Would explain the $80 difference. But they’re probably both stainless :megalol:

drove 30 miles to find some highly rated BBQ. Sketchy area...might get stabbed...but first, lemme take a wristie

20190822-130450.jpg

20190822-153924.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shylock Eins

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
stock Noob Schumacher "Platinum"

might be placebo but feels heavier than my Noob Schumacher Ti. Maybe the Ti was actually made of its namesake? Would explain the $80 difference. But they’re probably both stainless :megalol:

drove 30 miles to find some highly rated BBQ. Sketchy area...might get stabbed...but first, lemme take a wristie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The titanium case is made of titanium.
The "platinum" case is made of stainless steel.

Reactions: Allure and littowun

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Crazy watch T! Thats what i call a franken. How did you find this hands T.? Must be imposible..

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Gen hands are always needed for a proper AP franken. They are smack in the middle of the dial, prominent features on their own, and something the eyes cannot avoid seeing each time you look at the watch. The gen hands are very refined and crafted with white gold, and the beautiful shape, finish and stack of the hands are something which no aftermarket hands (to date) can replicate. The aftermarket hands I've seen always appear too flat and 2D vs the 3D gen hands. The geometry is incorrect too and of course the finish is completely off. On its own, any franken with rep/aftermarket hands will appear alright, but put them side by side vs the gen and you will see that they are completely different. It changes the look of the watch and is something best seen and not described.
I do not think gen hands will become more accessible, with the tightening of control of AP parts. So if you come across a set, T, grab it even if you have to pay a high price. There is just no substitute when it comes to gen AP hands. Believe me I have seen and handled enough AP gens, frankens and modded reps to make this statement.

I like the Panda posted by flying-tommy as it is a classic and in the gen world it is a watch from the previous generation AP which holds its value well. I still own the gen 42mm Panda, though it is mostly kept in the safe these days. I do foresee a Panda re-issue by AP, one with ceramic bezel, pushers and crown. Something like what you did with your panda, but perhaps with the dial tweaked a little, and of course the pushers and crown upgraded to ceramic.

Most AP frankens are a lot more "franken" than AP but what matters is that they serve to please their owners. Even among frankens, there are different grades of builds. Flying-tommy has gotten the concept of it correct, not just because of his understanding of the importance of gen hands, but also because of the way he planned and executed each project. Of course, he will be limited by the non-gen AP calibers used, but that's why they are called frankens instead of gens.. In fact he reminds me of an old friend, one of the original AP franken builders, who left the hobby a few years ago. Same meticulousness and attention to detail, same high caliber builds, same humility. We need more guys like him when it comes to the AP franken game.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Well minimally, that tachy was trimmed or replaced. And the datewheel looks like the old Noob one... so I will say that the watch cannot be stock.

looks like aflop custom tachy in fact

having said that the dw seems to be in line with 2 and 4 tho. I mean the angle is tricky etc etc but man

this was mine with custom tachy

2017-10-05-08.19.48678d6074bbebc874.jpg

Reactions: legend

dullidulli

Certified
3/6/13

having said that the dw seems to be in line with 2 and 4 tho. I mean the angle is tricky etc etc but man

Well, was not my intention to make so much „noise“ about this watch. Bought it a couple of years ago but do not remember the TD any more.
It is neither JF nor Noob (think JF had not produced APs so far these days).
It came like this out of the box incl. the shaved tachy. But indeed date window seems to be more aligned.
Apart from that, both case, screws, and dial is minor to Noob and JF.

b1484e104a81ab3cec14db10ca497afd.jpg

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Well, was not my intention to make so much „noise“ about this watch. Bought it a couple of years ago but do not remember the TD any more.
It is neither JF nor Noob (think JF had not produced APs so far these days).
It came like this out of the box incl. the shaved tachy. But indeed date window seems to be more aligned.
Apart from that, both case, screws, and dial is minor to Noob and JF.

b1484e104a81ab3cec14db10ca497afd.jpg

I think I know...it was on one TD website and everybody went gaga for a while couple of years ago but then I can't remember if QueTip or who else said it was actually an inferior product. I mean I can see the dial is nothing spectacular but the dw position is accurate..why can't we start from there...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Well I think you said it in your post above SL.. it is the "one-off" release. In your pic with the aflop tachy, the hands look way better, and the dial looks more refined as well.
The aflop tachy edges sits direct on the dial without the "step ledge" shown in the other safari.
But I am sure that at this point, you are secretly admiring your franken safari and appreciating all the upgrades done for it over the stock rep. ;)

Back to the "mystery" watch, do you think that the dw used is the same as the old noob one? Looking at it brought on nostalgia about the good ol' days where Noob ruled the ROO scene.

Reactions: Allure

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Back to the "mystery" watch, do you think that the dw used is the same as the old noob one? Looking at it brought on nostalgia about the good ol' days where Noob ruled the ROO scene.

yeah totally old school noob dw

good ol'days

we were young and we were reckless

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Gen hands are always needed for a proper AP franken. They are smack in the middle of the dial, prominent features on their own, and something the eyes cannot avoid seeing each time you look at the watch. The gen hands are very refined and crafted with white gold, and the beautiful shape, finish and stack of the hands are something which no aftermarket hands (to date) can replicate. The aftermarket hands I've seen always appear too flat and 2D vs the 3D gen hands. The geometry is incorrect too and of course the finish is completely off. On its own, any franken with rep/aftermarket hands will appear alright, but put them side by side vs the gen and you will see that they are completely different. It changes the look of the watch and is something best seen and not described.
I do not think gen hands will become more accessible, with the tightening of control of AP parts. So if you come across a set, T, grab it even if you have to pay a high price. There is just no substitute when it comes to gen AP hands. Believe me I have seen and handled enough AP gens, frankens and modded reps to make this statement.

I like the Panda posted by flying-tommy as it is a classic and in the gen world it is a watch from the previous generation AP which holds its value well. I still own the gen 42mm Panda, though it is mostly kept in the safe these days. I do foresee a Panda re-issue by AP, one with ceramic bezel, pushers and crown. Something like what you did with your panda, but perhaps with the dial tweaked a little, and of course the pushers and crown upgraded to ceramic.

Most AP frankens are a lot more "franken" than AP but what matters is that they serve to please their owners. Even among frankens, there are different grades of builds. Flying-tommy has gotten the concept of it correct, not just because of his understanding of the importance of gen hands, but also because of the way he planned and executed each project. Of course, he will be limited by the non-gen AP calibers used, but that's why they are called frankens instead of gens.. In fact he reminds me of an old friend, one of the original AP franken builders, who left the hobby a few years ago. Same meticulousness and attention to detail, same high caliber builds, same humility. We need more guys like him when it comes to the AP franken game.

Thank you very much Legend.

I can only say true words!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.