• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Where are the new AP reps or is JF just milking us on the current ones?

trtr

Renowned Member
10/3/13
Noticing there's been no decent new AP reps out. Even on intimes insights they were supposedly working on the rose gold diver and the new 44mm's. All I'm seeing lately is JF releasing new versions of the 15400 with minimal updates and price increases? I can't be the only one wondering where the new reps are.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Nope me too..

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Yes offcourse. But if the make some new modell ppl maybe buy som more AP’s . I think they only go for 15400 and 15703/15710 in the future

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Some competition from the other big players would probably pace things up and improve the quality. Maybe the demand is simply not high enough.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Some competition from the other big players would probably pace things up and improve the quality. Maybe the demand is simply not high enough.

i'm a huge offshore fan but they are the worst deal out htere..you have to spend 700USd and you can't even fool my grandma because the flaws are so evident..One has better deals with other watches

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
i'm a huge offshore fan but they are the worst deal out htere..you have to spend 700USd and you can't even fool my grandma because the flaws are so evident..One has better deals with other watches

Exactly this.

If they produced 800$-900$ versions of ROO that were as good as their 15400 or Diver I would be all over it. I would probably buy 3-4 watches... but the current one are terrible. The only good ROO is the Diver.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I had no idea your grandma is a watchmaker bro. Can she take some of my work too, I'm getting busy. lol

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Exactly this.

If they produced 800$-900$ versions of ROO that were as good as their 15400 or Diver I would be all over it. I would probably buy 3-4 watches... but the current one are terrible. The only good ROO is the Diver.

Just do what Noob did for the Daytona and it’s game over...

Also, grandmas are hard to fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperLory

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Surprised to see people complaining about the lack of new models when they methodically dissect any new release to point out its obvious and not so obvious flaws as if looking for an excuse to not buy it. It’s hard to think of anyone that enthusiastically buys v1 of anything. Then it should be little surprise that JF or any other factory would not release anything new :) I can assure you that the v5 15400 would not fool my daughter (who recently found a way of activating the chrono on my ROO - on a side note, it actually worked as it should and properly reset to 0 even if people in generally complain about ROO movements :)

Reactions: sn95

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I’m very happy with my first ROO which arrived today. But it’s probably the least convincing rep I’ve owned yet the most expensive one. So that way it’s not a good deal.

Even so it’s looking great to me and I have no regrets. I don’t know if it’s fooling anyone which is not my goal in the first place anyway. It feels premium to me even though it has some to me obvious flaws.

Now I’m waiting for a nice croc strap to arrive. The one it came with is really poor and too small for me.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I’m very happy with my first ROO which arrived today. But it’s probably the least convincing rep I’ve owned yet the most expensive one. So that way it’s not a good deal.

It’s this same insane logic that says a $5000 Franken makes sense. Guilty here.

Last edited:

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Just do what Noob did for the Daytona and it’s game over...

This. We'd still be as picky as those saying the noob bezel is an instant tell but the advancement would be tremendous.

And bye bye frankens..

Reactions: xartan

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Ugh. I wish someone would push JF a bit. The lack of competition for the 15202 is just making this a massive struggle.

watchtiger

22/11/16
Endless discussion time and time again about how JF just wont invest in a clone movement for say a ROO or even just a Royal Oak Chronograph.

OMF Factory came out with the 15400 with wrong yet better printing and now you see JF finally copying the same printing most esp for “SWISS MADE” in the V5. Dont think JF even nudged at OMF and their Royal Oak though.

They’re reps for a reason but damn, look how the Noob Daytona changed the game as everyone here has already mentioned. Perhaps one day for these AP reps...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Even so it’s looking great to me and I have no regrets. I don’t know if it’s fooling anyone which is not my goal in the first place anyway. It feels premium to me even though it has some to me obvious flaws.

Now I’m waiting for a nice croc strap to arrive. The one it came with is really poor and too small for me.

This should be the quintessential attitude in the hobby toward AP reps. Yes they’re generally not accurate and yes they’re not going to fool anyone who knows what to look for.

But yet, those aren’t your concerns. You wear one because you like the look and feel of it. To hell with “gen-like” this or that, it’s your watch of choice and that’s that.

We are an eclectic variety of enthusiasts gathered here and we play the game within our own boundaries. Nobody is going to look down upon a rep for for what it is, but contention often begins when watches are often misrepresented for what they are, with terms like “superfranken”, “most gen like”, “best besides gen” and “rare and coveted” being thrown around like bad jokes. I know everyone has different opinions and that any modded/franken AP watch will be interpreted subjectively but because opinions and perspectives differ we are always going to debate and discuss. And that is not a bad thing at all.
I do not think AP reps are trash. The build quality of AP reps in the recent years have evolved tremendously and it’s impressive to to see the evolution of the productions of the factories. So yes you can get very nice watches for a couple of hundred dollars. But the reps and gens are in entirely different leagues and each should be enjoyed for what it is.
I agree with the general sentiment that the divers and royal oaks are being churned out at a near-frenetic pace but that’s because it’s what the market laps up. Production is always driven by demand and motivated by profit. Even in the wild I’ve been spotting more AP divers and 15400 and I personally think that >90% of them are reps and there is nothing wrong at all with that. Everyone can decide what goes on their wrists. For me a true “AP super rep” is good news for our community but if you’re in a circle of AP rep enthusiasts where you live and work, chances are that you’re going to see the same watch show up a lot more on familiar wrists. For me personally I do like the current development of the AP reps where you still see a garden variety of APs in the picture thread, regardless of whether they are gen, franken or rep or modded. For me this community is about learning and we tend to do that better with variety and knowledge being shared and for that to happen there needs to be more than just a uniform knowledge level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk