• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Movement broken on first day - AP JF - 9.5

Nobody69

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/2/19
Hi there guys,

I just received a AP JF diver v9.5 from one of the TD's on this forum and disappointingly i realized that the movement was flawed. At this point, I've had the watch for no longer than an hour until I realized the minute hand/hour hand do not move upon winding the watch, however the second hand works. I am able to set the time, it just does not move upon setting the watch.

I've researched that perhaps it could be a loose canon pinion but not 100% certain.

I did reach out to the TD however awaiting to hear options. I probably would like to avoid shipping the watch back and forth so considering fixing it at a local watch maker or having them replace the movement.

I was curious, will any 2824 movement fit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sw...473496?hash=item239f0fe198:g:mO0AAOSwCpRbCJV7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clone-eta-...=264106259951ccc2830d2f90487197b4a66c71c9971f

^I have listed the above two, and do not know much about watch movements or replacements. I am debating on either two, however cost wise I am unsure what makes sense. Would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction and also a rough estimate as to how much I should pay a watch maker to fix the watch and or replace the movement?

Sedonut

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/7/17
I like the gen ETA, but I think it only makes sense to spend that much money if you really like the watch.

As it is new, I think I would send it back.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
go powermatic 80 for low beat if you were think ETA replacement. does the v9.5 have colorless cyclops? i would upgrade

Reactions: gilrob

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Don’t return it. The wait is onerous, there is risks involved with China customs and there is no guarantee that the movement in the returned watch, either replaced or repaired, will be any better.

Get the movement upgraded or at least serviced. If you’re keeping the watch, it’s a small investment and you can have a reliable daily wearer to be happy over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Hi, I would also not return it but would ask a local watch repair shop for advice. Gen eta 2824 has my preference

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
As Garuda stated - go with the Tissot powermatic 80 movement. You can find watches on ebay for around $250 and the movement is a straight swap. Any competent watchsmith (make sure that they are willing to work on reps first) should be able to replace & service the movement inexpensively.

Reactions: gilrob

Nobody69

3/2/19
Can someone quote me how much it would cost to swap a movement? No idea what a reasonable price is

tom1912

20/2/19
australia
If you're in Asia try contacting legend to do the whole works for you. Change to a reliable movement and upgrade certain things. Im sure you'll love it man. I got my ap from him and wearing it daily without a problem.

But beworn my friend , once you start on this path it'll be hard to turn back as the watches are so awesome. Going to get my 3rd watch in 2 months from him????????????

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
That $23 movement is a POS. I bought two to practice on and that is about all they are good for, and just barely. I would go with a gen ETA, no doubts.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Doud

I'm Pretty Popular
5/11/12
Where are you based? Sending back to TDs is a long and painful experience... You should send it to a trusted Rwi modder, if you are in Europe I would recommend Domi, he is amazing!
As for the movement I would also go for a powermatic 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk