• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

It...is...here...ap rg ro 15400 jf v5

farcast

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/18
I live in a country that has a very hot and humid climate. Do you think the rg will fade?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I live in a country that has a very hot and humid climate. Do you think the rg will fade?

Eventually the gold plating, no matter how thick or marvelous the factory markets it, will tarnish on the plated crown if you operate it enough.
The good news is that it can always be replated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Gotti

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/18
Eventually the gold plating, no matter how thick or marvelous the factory markets it, will tarnish on the plated crown if you operate it enough.
The good news is that it can always be replated.

Would thicker replating with real gold not help against fading? I mean if there is enough thickness of the gold.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Would thicker replating with real gold not help against fading? I mean if there is enough thickness of the gold.

Yes in theory a thicker plating will slow down the fading process but it will eventually still wear down enough for the base material (SS or brass in most cases) to be visible. It may take years of constant wear and friction for that to happen though.
But to the factories’ credit I’ve not seen any RG plating fade on the V3 and later versions of the 15400 reps yet.

corleone911

6/11/17
Yes in theory a thicker plating will slow down the fading process but it will eventually still wear down enough for the base material (SS or brass in most cases) to be visible. It may take years of constant wear and friction for that to happen though.
But to the factories’ credit I’ve not seen any RG plating fade on the V3 and later versions of the 15400 reps yet.

What about the inside bracelet where the clasp rubbing against the bracelet. Does the color fade of there ?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
What about the inside bracelet where the clasp rubbing against the bracelet. Does the color fade of there ?

Same applies to all areas which are in contact with the skin or subject to touch (crown, clasp).
The difference between a good plating and a bad one isn’t that one wears out and the other doesn’t, but the length of time taken for the plating to wear off. Ultimately given enough time, friction, chemical/mineral contact and heat/sunlight/corrosion all plating will wear but proper care will slow down the process. Remember that even for the plating on old RG reps (say about 5-7 years back) can look intact even today given proper care. The plating should last many years especially for sparing wear and if proper care is taken.
I will not worry too much about the plating.

cvij23

Horology Curious
26/6/18
Beware trusting a “TD” and saying OK when they send you blurry QC pics, you might end up with a misaligned AP logo and shitty Swiss Made print...

All that after having to chase them really long for the QC pictures plus paying for UK forwarding and then using a cheaper and longer shipping method (really “intime”)

86668ec9920300c73db173d53c2083ed-full.jpg

Last edited:

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I have not ordered my AP rose gold 15400 JF V5 yet. I'm close to pulling the trigger but would like to know how those of you that have received theirs think the watch is. Mostly I am referring to the feel of it in terms of weight. I know it won't weigh the same as gen but just curious if it is heavier than the stainless steel version at all.

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
I have not ordered my AP rose gold 15400 JF V5 yet. I'm close to pulling the trigger but would like to know how those of you that have received theirs think the watch is. Mostly I am referring to the feel of it in terms of weight. I know it won't weigh the same as gen but just curious if it is heavier than the stainless steel version at all.

Not sure it helps because i have one with the leather strap and it feels not that heavy. I ordered the SS plated bracelet. Will let you know once i receive it.

V21UNb.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

In theory a gold plated SS watch will weigh more than an SS watch. But remember that plating is done to achieve a visual effect and not for the material weight. The weight of any gold plated watch will be close to the base watch before plating and the plating will not increase the weight substantially in feel on on the scales.

corleone911

6/11/17
Would be great of they use a heavier material like tungsten. This would be a closer heavy gold feeling.....

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Would be great of they use a heavier material like tungsten. This would be a closer heavy gold feeling.....

The reason why heavier materials like tungsten and tantalum (7.5 and 6.5 hardness on the Mohs scale respectively) are not used extensively is simply because they are a lot tougher than steel to work with and thereby making the production process a lot more costly.
I have used lead before to fill gaps in the watch case to simulate weight. Of course lead is a lot softer than steel and suitable only as an internal “filling” rather than to construct actual external parts.

Reactions: Allure and csthe

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
The reason why heavier materials like tungsten and tantalum (7.5 and 6.5 hardness on the Mohs scale respectively) are not used extensively is simply because they are a lot tougher than steel to work with and thereby making the production process a lot more costly.
I have used lead before to fill gaps in the watch case to simulate weight. Of course lead is a lot softer than steel and suitable only as an internal “filling” rather than to construct actual external parts.

So why factories are not using lead to "rep" the weight?

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
I've always wondered about using lead as well. Where would it fit though? The inside of the case is already pretty snug. :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I've always wondered about using lead as well. Where would it fit though? The inside of the case is already pretty snug. :)

I’ve used lead for a RG ROO franken case before two years back and not the 15400.
It increased the weight slightly but nowhere near to the weight of the gen watch head. Made the watch heftier though but if you ask me now, it was not worth the trouble.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
So why factories are not using lead to "rep" the weight?

Given the soft nature of lead, it can be utilized as a filling in the case and not as a case material. Besides, lead is toxic to the skin and unsafe for use for skin-contact products, like watches and jewellery.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Given the soft nature of lead, it can be utilized as a filling in the case and not as a case material. Besides, lead is toxic to the skin and unsafe for use for skin-contact products, like watches and jewellery.

Thanks for the explanation mate. So no other heavy metal cheap alternative?

corleone911

6/11/17

Wow thanks for the information! Always enjoy sharing your great experience and knowledge!

Reactions: Pdatoon