• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Advice

CosmoKat

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
Hi there,

A friend of mine was speaking to me about ways to build an AP to almost near perfection using custom/rep and genuine parts, but would like to understand how its done and what's necessary to complete a franken project.

Would appreciate any input as I'm looking to get into building.

Regards,
AmirMK

tom1912

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/2/19
australia
The most important is money. Get ready USD 7-8 K thats what i gather from reading the forum.

And parts might not even be available even if you get the funds.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi there,

A friend of mine was speaking to me about ways to build an AP to almost near perfection using custom/rep and genuine parts, but would like to understand how its done and what's necessary to complete a franken project.

Would appreciate any input as I'm looking to get into building.

Regards,
AmirMK

red1
Princewilliam
SuperLory

Better you guys than me or QueTip replying this lol. For the greater good of the community :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
tenor.gif
Before taking on a project of this magnitude, have you taken apart a watch and put it back together before? .. If not, you might want to practice on some cheap beaters before you get in over your head, then you'll be on the forum looking for someone to finish your project that may be beyond help... I've seen it before, just sayin' .. ….

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The most important is money. Get ready USD 7-8 K thats what i gather from reading the forum.

Money Tom? What I learned recently is that money can't buy you love, and gen AP hands. And love is the less difficult of the two lol

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
OP,

there are at least 2 tutorials on the sister forum, both written up by some of the finest guys in the community, Mikey2008 and Edgematic:
https://www.repgeek.com/ap-tutorials/274962-guide-building-42mm-themed-franken.html

https://www.repgeek.com/ap-tutorials/225734-build-franken-ap-price.html

First post is the more recent one.

And legend - no love for me? Not good enough to give guidance on ap frankens? I’m disappointed :crazy:

I see you as a genstein guy T. And the advice you dispense are not for beginners definitely lol.

Reactions: Allure

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
As already linked. There are dozens of tutorials and threads on Frankens. But I'm having a good day so here you go.

What you need is:

A competent watchmaker (we have that on RWI ;) )
A JF / Noob base that can be modified, insides is all for the bin.
Genuine dial, tachy and hands / all of which will come very expensive and rare depending on what you want. You can use mikey hands too and the rep tachy if you're not too picky but I would advise against.
LWO283 aka ETA2892 with the DD module.
A deep wallet
A lot of patience
A lot more luck

Of course, sky is the limit and we can add more and more genuine parts. The more you'll add, the closer it'll be to what you're wanting to achieve. legend

Reactions: CosmoKat

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
OP,

there are at least 2 tutorials on the sister forum, both written up by some of the finest guys in the community, Mikey2008 and Edgematic:
https://www.repgeek.com/ap-tutorials...d-franken.html

https://www.repgeek.com/ap-tutorials...-ap-price.html

First post is the more recent one.

And legend - no love for me? Not good enough to give guidance on ap frankens? I’m disappointed :crazy:

this is getting too funny. click on mikeys sig link to check stock. that domain link will have legend QueTip laughing on the floor.

Last edited:

CosmoKat

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom

Hi there,

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I've already sourced the necessary gen parts (e.g. Dial/Tachymeter), and also have a budget of around that price so that sounds great!

However, I'm curious to know how to go around sourcing custom parts (e.g. hands/date wheel) - however as QueTip explained, this shouldn't be a problem as there are members that can source these parts (Mikey2008 & Edgematic), which is idea.
FYI: Sourcing gen hands is virtually impossible in my experience.. :boohoo:

Thanks again guys :eek:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi there,

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I've already sourced the necessary gen parts (e.g. Dial/Tachymeter), and also have a budget of around that price so that sounds great!

However, I'm curious to know how to go around sourcing custom parts (e.g. hands/date wheel) - however as QueTip explained, this shouldn't be a problem as there are members that can source these parts (Mikey2008 & Edgematic), which is idea.

Yes whatever you do, don’t call your build a “super duper mega ultra genlike franken” after you’ve completed it if it’s not. Lol.
Do share your build with us though! :)

Reactions: Allure and CosmoKat

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Hi there,

Appreciate the feedback.

Mikey Hands and datewheels are out of stock. Omega dw aka edge v2 is still in stock. Good luck getting the Mikey parts though.

Reactions: CosmoKat

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Yes whatever you do, don’t call your build a “super duper mega ultra genlike franken” after you’ve completed it if it’s not. Lol.

Oh boy, I actually have one of those on the way. Shall I cancel it?) Dear god, it’s so hard to plan things around here

Reactions: legend

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Hi there,

Appreciate the feedback.

You're pretty much out of luck on the Mikey dw same with the hands unfortunately. Keep an eye on m2m for a date wheel (not seen hands in a very long time). In my opinion the date wheel created by Legend is superior, the quality and finish is outstanding, not sure on availability drop him a pm if interested. Hopefully he keeps producing them.

Reactions: legend and CosmoKat

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Oh boy, I actually have one of those on the way. Shall I cancel it?) Dear god, it’s so hard to plan things around here

When you use the word “superfranken” T it likely means a genstein.

When newbies use it, often it has just a gen dial and tachy in it. Herein lies the main difference lol.

Reactions: Allure and CosmoKat