Announcement

Collapse

IMAGE SHARING IMPROVEMENT

Use ClickPix.org , an easy way to share your images !
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
See more
See less

Franken Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franken Advice

Hi there,

A friend of mine was speaking to me about ways to build an AP to almost near perfection using custom/rep and genuine parts, but would like to understand how its done and what's necessary to complete a franken project.

Would appreciate any input as I'm looking to get into building.

Regards,
    AmirMK

The most important is money. Get ready USD 7-8 K thats what i gather from reading the forum.

And parts might not even be available even if you get the funds.

Comment

Originally posted by AmirMK View Post
      Hi there,

A friend of mine was speaking to me about ways to build an AP to almost near perfection using custom/rep and genuine parts, but would like to understand how its done and what's necessary to complete a franken project.

Would appreciate any input as I'm looking to get into building.

Regards,
      AmirMK
      red1
      Princewilliam
      SuperLory

Better you guys than me or QueTip replying this lol. For the greater good of the community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by legend; 01-03-19, 07:28.

Comment

Before taking on a project of this magnitude, have you taken apart a watch and put it back together before? .. If not, you might want to practice on some cheap beaters before you get in over your head, then you'll be on the forum looking for someone to finish your project that may be beyond help... I've seen it before, just sayin' .. ….
        Midnight Rider[S][/S]

Comment

Originally posted by tom1912 View Post
          The most important is money. Get ready USD 7-8 K thats what i gather from reading the forum.

Money Tom? What I learned recently is that money can't buy you love, and gen AP hands. And love is the less difficult of the two lol

Comment

Originally posted by legend View Post

Money Tom? What I learned recently is that money can't buy you love, and gen AP hands. And love is the less difficult of the two lol
            Oh my ! is it that hard to gen AP parts?

Comment

OP,

there are at least 2 tutorials on the sister forum, both written up by some of the finest guys in the community, Mikey2008 and Edgematic:
              https://www.repgeek.com/ap-tutorials...d-franken.html

https://www.repgeek.com/ap-tutorials...-ap-price.html

First post is the more recent one.

And legend - no love for me? Not good enough to give guidance on ap frankens? I’m disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by tosoboso View Post
                OP,

there are at least 2 tutorials on the sister forum, both written up by some of the finest guys in the community, Mikey2008 and Edgematic:

And legend - no love for me? Not good enough to give guidance on ap frankens? I’m disappointed
                I see you as a genstein guy T. And the advice you dispense are not for beginners definitely lol.

Comment

red1
                  Princewilliam
                  SuperLory

Better you guys than me or QueTip replying this lol. For the greater good of the community

What do i know ...i dont even have 1..
                  I'm in love with the shape of Roo // Sucker for 3-6-9 dials

Comment

As already linked. There are dozens of tutorials and threads on Frankens. But I'm having a good day so here you go.

What you need is:

A competent watchmaker (we have that on RWI )
                    A JF / Noob base that can be modified, insides is all for the bin.
                    Genuine dial, tachy and hands / all of which will come very expensive and rare depending on what you want. You can use mikey hands too and the rep tachy if you're not too picky but I would advise against.
                    LWO283 aka ETA2892 with the DD module.
                    A deep wallet
                    A lot of patience
                    A lot more luck

Of course, sky is the limit and we can add more and more genuine parts. The more you'll add, the closer it'll be to what you're wanting to achieve. legend

TitleistRolex: my question wasn't to ask "Hey QueDick can you tell any flaws of this watch or that watch?!"
                    RM#1:
                    I’ll give you my cell and FaceTime me and I’ll show you wealth you petty lil child

QFOAHDT

Comment

Originally posted by tosoboso View Post
                      OP,

this is getting too funny. click on mikeys sig link to check stock. that domain link will have legend QueTip laughing on the floor.
                      Last edited by Garuda; 09-03-19, 17:06.

Comment

Originally posted by tom1912 View Post

Hi there,

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I've already sourced the necessary gen parts (e.g. Dial/Tachymeter), and also have a budget of around that price so that sounds great!

However, I'm curious to know how to go around sourcing custom parts (e.g. hands/date wheel) - however as QueTip explained, this shouldn't be a problem as there are members that can source these parts (Mikey2008 & Edgematic), which is idea.
                        FYI: Sourcing gen hands is virtually impossible in my experience..

Thanks again guys

Comment

Hi there,

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I've already sourced the necessary gen parts (e.g. Dial/Tachymeter), and also have a budget of around that price so that sounds great!

However, I'm curious to know how to go around sourcing custom parts (e.g. hands/date wheel) - however as QueTip explained, this shouldn't be a problem as there are members that can source these parts (Mikey2008 & Edgematic), which is idea.

Thanks again guys
                          Yes whatever you do, don’t call your build a “super duper mega ultra genlike franken” after you’ve completed it if it’s not. Lol.
                          Do share your build with us though!

Comment

Hi there,

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks again guys
                            Mikey Hands and datewheels are out of stock. Omega dw aka edge v2 is still in stock. Good luck getting the Mikey parts though.

TitleistRolex: my question wasn't to ask "Hey QueDick can you tell any flaws of this watch or that watch?!"
                            RM#1:
                            I’ll give you my cell and FaceTime me and I’ll show you wealth you petty lil child

QFOAHDT

Comment

Yes whatever you do, don’t call your build a “super duper mega ultra genlike franken” after you’ve completed it if it’s not. Lol.

Oh boy, I actually have one of those on the way. Shall I cancel it?) Dear god, it’s so hard to plan things around here

Comment

Working...
                              X