• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jf ap 15400 v5

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
VoJ8Cr.jpg

VoJwTF.jpg

VoJg4I.gif

New JF V5 in Rose Gold with the new dial :)

Very nice :)

Reactions: Rolemars

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Kind of cheating yes. But it looks fantastic. IMHO this is a really good improvement compared to previous iterations. :)

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
depends on the gen dial they use so many different dials these days its hard to follow.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Must be correct if you say so...

Rep V5 dial Top
Gen dial Below

633abdb76c93be89506a7f228923b6e9.jpg

MasterWatch is correct regarding his observation and I mostly agree with him.

Despite making the "SWISS MADE" print sharp (which they undeniably did), they achieved it by printing on back plates for each word. The rep print, despite being sharp, looks distinctly different from the gen "SWISS MADE" in terms of font (rep font is too thick, and uses an entirely different font), print style (gen print is direct on dial and therefore undulating and with tapisserie texture visible between the letters), and the overall words/letters positions relative to the tapisseries. I agree that the rep "SWISS MADE" printing looks sharp and nice but it will never be mistaken for the gen if you know your gens and what to look for.

OK having said that, this is a difference which cannot be observed effectively in real life unless you have your nose almost up against the watch. We scrutinize details in the forums based on static pictures, often enlarged X times, and we discuss and dissect details like true enthusiasts. And this is good because that is what the forums are for. But I will say that is a detail which matters more in pictures online than in real life. Just avoid saying that this or that feature is "gen-like" without first having the gen to compare in hand next to the rep. Yes, there are certain gen-like features in the AP reps which impress me. But this "SWISS MADE" print, despite being sharp and clear, is definitely not one of them.

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
MasterWatch is correct regarding his observation and I mostly agree with him.

Despite making the "SWISS MADE" print sharp (which they undeniably did), they achieved it by printing on back plates for each word. The rep print, despite being sharp, looks distinctly different from the gen "SWISS MADE" in terms of font (rep font is too thick, and uses an entirely different font), print style (gen print is direct on dial and therefore undulating and with tapisserie texture visible between the letters), and the overall words/letters positions relative to the tapisseries. I agree that the rep "SWISS MADE" printing looks sharp and nice but it will never be mistaken for the gen if you know your gens and what to look for.

OK having said that, this is a difference which cannot be observed effectively in real life unless you have your nose almost up against the watch. We scrutinize details in the forums based on static pictures, often enlarged X times, and we discuss and dissect details like true enthusiasts. And this is good because that is what the forums are for. But I will say that is a detail which matters more in pictures online than in real life. Just avoid saying that this or that feature is "gen-like" without first having the gen to compare in hand next to the rep. Yes, there are certain gen-like features in the AP reps which impress me. But this "SWISS MADE" print, despite being sharp and clear, is definitely not one of them.

What he said. Anyone saying he has this on a gen got duped and ended up with a rep :giggle:

Reactions: legend

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
100% agree with legend that this is a detail that you have to get uncomfortably close to notice. So is the faded "SWISS MADE" On previous versions of JF. They made sharper text at the cost of wrong font and wrong dial construction. And hence my comment of "1 step forward 2 steps back".

Therefore in my opinion it was better the way it was and I feel like as the other member said JF cheated to achive the Sharper Text. And I felt the same when OMF first did it to achive the "sharper text".

This is maybe my fault. But I personally hold JF at a higher standard than this, because they have done an incredible job of repping the 15400. Far better than any other 15400 till date and for them to follow on the foot steps of a competitor and cut corners was not expected and in my opinion should not be recognized as an "achievement".

Also, it's unbecoming, specialy of a TD to comment (with their email address) that their "Gen is the same, in terms of printing". Insinuating that the printing is closer to Gen, when it's not. I think is very misleading on thier part.

Reactions: legend and QueTip

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Long life to our beloved sWisS mAdE, burn in hell little plate!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
100% agree with legend that this is a detail that you have to get uncomfortably close to notice. So is the faded "SWISS MADE" On previous versions of JF. They made sharper text at the cost of wrong font and wrong dial construction. And hence my comment of "1 step forward 2 steps back".

Therefore in my opinion it was better the way it was and I feel like as the other member said JF cheated to achive the Sharper Text. And I felt the same when OMF first did it to achive the "sharper text".

This is maybe my fault. But I personally hold JF at a higher standard than this, because they have done an incredible job of repping the 15400. Far better than any other 15400 till date and for them to follow on the foot steps of a competitor and cut corners was not expected and in my opinion should not be recognized as an "achievement".

Also, it's unbecoming, specialy of a TD to comment (with their email address) that their "Gen is the same, in terms of printing". Insinuating that the printing is closer to Gen, when it's not. I think is very misleading on thier part.

You are 100% correct here M.

I do not understand the fuss about the dial printing "becoming better" when in actual fact, it is exchanging one flaw for another (or exchanging 1 for 2 others like you mentioned).
Before anyone rushes to compliment the updated V5 dial, take a careful look and see for yourself the differences. The print clarity per se is better. That is indisputable. But is it more accurate and "gen-like" and something to shout about? No it isn't. The font of the "SWISS MADE" is clearly wrong, and being printed on plates, it already changes the look of the area when scrutinized. Yes like I mentioned, we are splitting hairs here, and no this feature isn't discernible in real life. But since this is a forum for discussion of details, guys should be aware of the facts and be aware of what the gen is or isn't. The gen 100% ISN'T printed that way (for discussion sake) and dealers should be responsible enough not to imply that the V5 is a 1:1 dial just to push sales.

Lets dissect the V5 dial for the sake of correcting perceptions:

The dial tapisseries of the V5 are still wrong, especially around the edges. The rest of the printing on the dial still differs slightly from gen, the "SWISS MADE" printing is still totally wrong, and the finish of the dial still varies from gen. Do all these matter in real life on the wrist? No they mostly do not. I am certain that the V5 or even V4 or V3 can pass as gen on the wrists in the wild, but place any one of them next to a gen, and the differences become very apparent.You just cannot unsee the differences. I have nothing against reps. I enjoy the evolution that the hobby has taken, but members must not be taken in by dealer propaganda and be duped that the V5 is the better and ultimate dial. Far from it. It is like comparing the tastiest apple in the world to an orange. Nobody is denying that the apple is tasty, but it can never be an orange.
So it will make more sense for the V5 to be compared with the V4 instead of the gen. There is a lot more in common there and it is meaningful to observe and debate improvements of one over the other. Whatever batch of gen dial you can find, none of the "SWISS MADE" are plate printed. And yes, I have personally seen gen printing with missing lines in the "swiss made" wording too. Gens can be imperfect too so no need to place them on pedestals. What I am saying is that the gen and rep dials are just different and we should learn to discern the differences for ourselves and not blindly be taken in by marketing talk, comparisons to online pics or by purely listening to the opinions of others, mine included. The fact is, there is no way that the V5 dial printing is gen-like. We are talking about two little, barely readable words (in real life) here, but this will apply to every feature or nuance of any rep. Dealers like to use arbitrary marketing terms like "1:1", "like the genuine", "best clone" etc and most of them are just frivolous hogwash, though there are 1 or 2 instances which I do agree with the makers. For example, I do find the JF ROO crystals 1:1 to gen or very very close. I think that JF AP case finishes in general are 1:1 to gen or very close too.
To date, there is NO 1:1 rep. Especially for APs. What you get are nice watches on the wrist. To hell with accuracy, just enjoy it for what it is without pretense or false expectations. Imperfections exist in both the gens and reps, and I firmly believe that the main difference guy who wears the gens and one who wears the rep is not the sizes of their bank accounts, but simply their level of expectations of what goes on their wrist, and what they can/cannot live with. If someone can live with all the flaws of a miyota powered V5 15400, he is not going to care if the world dissects his watch and points out that he is wearing a rep. But it is important to know the flaws or tells of the rep watch you are wearing, so that you do not get caught in awkward situations, for your own sake. Screw the world, it is your watch and you wear it any damn way you wish. But at least know the differences or tells and stop calling a non gen-like feature "gen like" out of ignorance or blindness to truth. Nobody will look down on your personal choice of watches whatever it may be. But a lack of discernment or knowledge is another thing altogether, when ample opportunities exist here for all of us to learn.

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
To hell with accuracy, just enjoy it for what it is without pretense or false expectations. Imperfections exist in both the gens and reps, and I firmly believe that the main difference guy who wears the gens and one who wears the rep is not the sizes of their bank accounts, but simply their level of expectations of what goes on their wrist, and what they can/cannot live with. If someone can live with all the flaws of a miyota powered V5 15400, he is not going to care if the world dissects his watch and points out that he is wearing a rep. But it is important to know the flaws or tells of the rep watch you are wearing, so that you do not get caught in awkward situations, for your own sake. Screw the world, it is your watch and you wear it any damn way you wish. But at least know the differences or tells and stop calling a non gen-like feature "gen like" out of ignorance or blindness to truth. Nobody will look down on your personal choice of watches whatever it may be. But a lack of discernment or knowledge is another thing altogether, when ample opportunities exist here for all of us to learn.

Agree legend . To me, what matters in this kind of price bracket is if I love the look or not. I don't care too much if it is more or less gen-like. I'm not trying to deceive anyone. :)
I like the linearity of the new swiss made printing. Unless I am using a 2.5x loupe, it's really hard to tell any difference.
Just wear what you like and be happy. ;)

Reactions: Nivka and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Agree legend . To me, what matters in this kind of price bracket is if I love the look or not. I don't care too much if it is more or less gen-like. I'm not trying to deceive anyone. :)
I like the linearity of the new swiss made printing. Unless I am using a 2.5x loupe, it's really hard to tell any difference.

I think that knowing you (from your posts), you will get a gen if you want accuracy and a rep if you want a watch YOU find nice on your wrist. So that settles it and that was why I said your watch was very nice. And I meant every word of it sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure and Rolemars

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12

Don't get me wrong your watch looks stunning and you know and love what you have. I am glad you are proudly enjoying your watch and that's what this hobby is about.

My comments were about the TD saying it is Gen like. Which is false and erroneous on thier part. And this kind of cheap marketing ploy should not be used to make some quick sales off of uninformed buyers. Because they'll buy it thinking it's just like Gen and when they later find out that it's not it will ruin that sweet moment for them, and that's not what this hobby is about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolemars and legend

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
I think that knowing you (from your posts), you will get a gen if you want accuracy and a rep if you want a watch YOU find nice on your wrist. So that settles it and that was why I said your watch was very nice. And I meant every word of it sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you again for the words of wisdom!

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Don't trash the Dealers i saw so much JF versions with wrong parts, they are fucking it up not the dealers.

JF first used the old dial for the V5 then switched it on the RG version but not completly i saw QCs with old dials advertised as "new" RG gold version when it was clearly not. Like i said JF is fucking it up.

For the gen stuff maybe i don't remember wrong but didn't someone posted a picture/video with the plate stuff on gen too? Wasn't it that video where the one guy is comparing 2 different white/silver gen dials which looks completly different? But i can't be wrong i thought i saw something before, i will check for the youtube video later with the comparison.

I mean it is hard to believe that AP would do something like that but nobody thought Rolex would change the engravings from double laser engraved to one laser not engraved (to cut the costs) so i don't know has someone a new 2019/2018 gen dial to compare?

For the printing stuff, "Swiss Made" is so small i bet anyone would see the difference in real life and its not really a "tell", for me the whole tapseries is a tell :D because if you know gen you see that the tapseries is still completly wrong also the gen screws have a white gold look (more brownish/yellowish) which you can spot directly if you know the gen and the brushing etc etc etc so many tells.

At the end it is still a replica of 20k watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: csthe and Rolemars

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU

Precisely! :) One day I might get the genuine one, of course it's a totally different feeling. Right now I'm enjoying different models first to see what fits me best. I'm very glad this forum can count on experienced people who actually own the real thing, giving us an unbiased opinion on these new models. :drinks_cheers:

Don't get me wrong your watch looks stunning and you know and love what you have. I am glad you are proudly enjoying your watch and that's what this hobby is about.

My comments were about the TD saying it is Gen like. Which is false and erroneous on thier part. And this kind of cheap marketing ploy should not be used to make some quick sales off of uninformed buyers. Because they'll buy it thinking it's just like Gen and when they later find out that it's not it will ruin that sweet moment for them, and that's not what this hobby is about.

Thanks! Thankfully, I have studied the genuine 15400 for a while prior to this purchase. :) Just to be clear, my TD didn't state the new V5 was 1:1 or more gen-like. It was just me who said I prefer the new printing compared to previous JF iterations. Of course this will always be very subjective. But posts like yours are very healthy for people who don't really know what they're getting. :)
Cheers

VogLyp.jpg

Another wristshot to top things off :)

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Don't trash the Dealers i saw so much JF versions with wrong parts, they are fucking it up not the dealers.

JF first used the old dial for the V5 then switched it on the RG version but not completly i saw QCs with old dials advertised as "new" RG gold version when it was clearly not. Like i said JF is fucking it up.

For the gen stuff maybe i don't remember wrong but didn't someone posted a picture/video with the plate stuff on gen too? Wasn't it that video where the one guy is comparing 2 different white/silver gen dials which looks completly different? But i can't be wrong i thought i saw something before, i will check for the youtube video later with the comparison.

I mean it is hard to believe that AP would do something like that but nobody thought Rolex would change the engravings from double laser engraved to one laser not engraved (to cut the costs) so i don't know has someone a new 2019/2018 gen dial to compare?

For the printing stuff, "Swiss Made" is so small i bet anyone would see the difference in real life and its not really a "tell", for me the whole tapseries is a tell :D because if you know gen you see that the tapseries is still completly wrong also the gen screws have a white gold look (more brownish/yellowish) which you can spot directly if you know the gen and the brushing etc etc etc so many tells.

At the end it is still a replica of 20k watch.

Let me respond to your 6 paragraph long although mostly irrelevant (to the on going conversation) post with reference to only 2 sentences of your post. The Last and the First One.

No one is denying that it is a rep of a 20K+ watch (mind you the rose gold version is a 30K+ watch) and that there are no differences between Gen and Rep. Literally no one is saying this except the only person or entity in denial is a SINGLE TD (NOT DEALERS) by saying and I quote "Our Gen looks the same, in terms of printing". If this is not false advertising and over selling by your own definition I don't know what is... And they should not be put on blast for it? And if you think no one is criticizing JF, I encourage you read my post #362. The last line was for JF. And the TD you are trying to defend chimed in to say that their Gen sample is like what JF did printing wise. So your beloved TD is the one defending JF not anyone else.

So you might want to reevaluate your first sentence by referring to your own last one.

P.s. Please keep the f bombs to yourself. This is a civil forum and I believe we are all adults here (At least I know, I am).

Reactions: Rolemars