• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jf ap 15400 v5

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Thanks for the reply KSWatches. Looks like I'll get the stainless steel version since it will be quite evident when holding and wearing a gold plated rep that it is definitely a rep based on the weight alone.

Thank you.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
tangokilo - 999 gold got ca 2,5x the weight of steel -

as the gen is made of an alloy of copper and gold and possibly various other components to achieve the AP rosegold look it is lighter than 999 fine gold.

You also have to keep in mind that the watch also includes the movement and movement holder which are not made of gold so it would be wrong to say „multiply the weight of the steel version with 2“

that said it is a bit hard to tell you the exact number due to the different factors.

But in the end the rep will be definitely lighter than the gen as it is just a plated steel rep.

Reactions: vcappp

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Hi Bionone, yes I agree one cannot just say it's 2x the weight in this case because there are other factors. If the gold plated rep will be noticeably lighter I will stick with stainless steel.

I actually was hoping that the rep makers would not only try to replicate the dimensions of these watches but also the weights, or at least list them as a data point for us to compare gen vs rep weights. For someone that actually owns gen versions it would be another potential tell that it is a rep and not gen if the weight is very different like thickness in some instances. But I think the stainless versions would be relatively comparable.

Thanks

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Rep caseback is thicker than gen, which adds weight but end of the day gold is gold

chigganv

30/1/19
Quick question, I have been emailing back and forth with Ryan of InTime and he states the 15400 JF rose gold V5 will be out in a matter of days.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the weight on these gold reps. How far off from the weight of a solid gold gen will the rep be? I know steel is a lighter element and these are just gold plated, but have these reps been treated with something else to make them more heavy like a solid gold gen? I am doubtful of that but just curious since if the weight of the gold plated AP 15400 JF V5 is not comparable or close to the weight of gen then I'll just get the stainless steel AP 15400 JF V5.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well thats fun because I was emailing with Puretime and they stated the 15400 JF V5 wont ever be made in gold :D
Let's see what happens. (I want to buy the gold version so I hope it comes)

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Required mods is just the thinning, right? Thickness is 10.5mm. So quite a tell

"Required/essential" is always relative. To me case thickness is not that bad. On pictures it looks very different but on your wrist 1mm is close to nothing. There is always something to complain about, whether is the thickness, dial print, etc. :) It's all about how much you are willing to spend to make it more gen like. A gen dial would cost more than double the price of a brand new JF V5 :)

SliverSurfer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/5/18
"Required/essential" is always relative. To me case thickness is not that bad. On pictures it looks very different but on your wrist 1mm is close to nothing. There is always something to complain about, whether is the thickness, dial print, etc. :) It's all about how much you are willing to spend to make it more gen like. A gen dial would cost more than double the price of a brand new JF V5 :)

Yes, agree. I’m happy to go that extra mile to make the watch as gen as possible. Happy to spend $2-3k on making it a franken as opposed to spend $20k on a gen. Anyways, the dial seems ok - what about the bracelet, do a gen fit (maybe it’s too expensive anyways)? Also, forgot to ask, how reliable is the movement?

Reactions: vcappp and Rolemars

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Yes, agree. I’m happy to go that extra mile to make the watch as gen as possible. Happy to spend $2-3k on making it a franken as opposed to spend $20k on a gen. Anyways, the dial seems ok - what about the bracelet, do a gen fit (maybe it’s too expensive anyways)? Also, forgot to ask, how reliable is the movement?

Yes, the watch accepts gen bracelet.

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU

If you're willing to go 2-3k for a total build then by all means do the case thinning :) I'd replace the crystal as well as the dial for the best possible look. Not sure a bracelet replacement is worth it. I think the one from JF is already pretty good. There are a couple topics here on RWI of Royal Oaks with gen dials, they look amazing :) Good luck!

atespo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/11/06
USA
My v5 blue dial will be here tomorrow, been wanting to pull the trigger on a 15400 for awhile now and figured the v5 was my best bet, I was really torn between blue and black but ultimately went blue.
Does anyone else have one in hand? I don't come around much and not too sure how long ago they started shipping the v5's.

Reactions: N0tail_

Faj

10/3/19
Are just the 15400 in 41 mm came out new (V5 batch), or is it the same for the 37 mm (15450)?

Being new to this, forgive my newbie question, naa.
Havin 17cm wrist I worry 41mm might be to much.

thanks!

hm11esh

4/9/18
Are just the 15400 in 41 mm came out new (V5 batch), or is it the same for the 37 mm (15450)?

thanks!

if I remember correctly then you want the 15450 for the 37mm size.

15202 for 39mm

Reactions: Faj

chigganv

30/1/19

thanks!

Its very easy to shorten the bracelet by removing links. All you need is a tiny (1mm) flat screwdriver.

I never fixed or bought a watch until last week (V5 JF 15400 blue dial). Even I could do it.
I removed 3 links and problem solved ;)

Reactions: Faj