• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jf ap 15400 v5

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
I used to own the v3 in blue but sold it on M2M now thinking about getting the v5. How good is the grey compared to gen? Any significant changes from v3 to v5 except date font and bracelet?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Gen bracelet fit on rep case would make the watch look more fake IMO.

Money would have been better spent on a gen dial / hands imo. The rep bracelet is actually really well finished.

+1 and I fully agree.
The bracelet of the rep isn’t the primary weak point/tell. The stiffness of the bracelet can be corrected with patience and some work and likewise for the smoothness of the edges and the finish.
Nobody is going to mistake a rep 15400 as a gen just because it has a gen bracelet. It’s like fitting pirelli racing tires on a chery QQ and saying that it’s now a sports car.
The miyota movement is still the cheap little engine running the watch and the hands remain an obvious tell. Fitting a gen bracelet is redundant and an unnecessary and disproportionate expense but yes, to each his own and I respect that for some members, the bracelet is what matters most. And if the wearer is happy with it and is able to afford such an upgrade, why, so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Money would have been better spent on a gen dial / hands imo. The rep bracelet is actually really well finished.

To each their own. My AP 15400 has the rotor silenced, relumed, serviced, and fully modded by Vac, Prof 2x AR Crystal, case thinning mod, and Gen bracelet.

I prefer the blue dial, and regrettably the Gen blue dial is too cost prohibitive to swap. Gen hands is a good idea, though.

For me, I got a good enough price on the bracelet where it was worth it (and I can easily flip it back if I need to). To me, the gen bracelet takes it to the next level because of the buttery smootheness and extra little details that differ it from the rep. You can immediately tells it’s a rep when holding a rep bracelet (even when it’s modded). But having the Gen bracelet actually makes you enjoy wearing the watch and gives you the “feel” of a gen. The fit is seamless.

Again, I know I’m not in the majority, but for me I’m happy with the swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
To each their own. My AP 15400 has the rotor silenced, relumed, serviced, and fully modded by Vac, Prof 2x AR Crystal, case thinning mod, and Gen bracelet.

I prefer the blue dial, and regrettably the Gen blue dial is too cost prohibitive to swap. Gen hands is a good idea, though.

For me, I got a good enough price on the bracelet where it was worth it (and I can easily flip it back if I need to). To me, the gen bracelet takes it to the next level because of the buttery smootheness and extra little details that differ it from the rep. You can immediately tells it’s a rep when holding a rep bracelet (even when it’s modded). But having the Gen bracelet actually makes you enjoy wearing the watch and gives you the “feel” of a gen. The fit is seamless.

It is YOUR watch and of course you get to decide what makes you happy!
The majority of members aren’t you so of course what matters is the way you want your watch to look and feel, whether it’s nothing like the gen or 99% like it.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Also the pictures are from the old gen look at the highly brushed inner midlinks (the new ones use a different brush).

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I dip in and out of this thread, this may have been covered already. I noticed on
Two 15400 my friend had ordered, that the white and silver jf dials, the Swiss made text is printed on a flat surface created on the dial. On the blue and black dials it’s printed over the dial tapestry.

I’d never looked that close before but now I know why one looks significantly better than the other.

336d9a9971251cb6eb0f916d3b77888a.jpg
4f8a627b5efafe16d37ec574748e1154.jpg

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
stufuse good eye! I never saw a JF with SWISS MADE written on a plate. Only the new recently released OMF uses that technique.
Are you sure that white dial was a JF?

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
the they use the same dials like OMF because they make the same (only with black and blue included).

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
I dip in and out of this thread, this may have been covered already. I noticed on
Two 15400 my friend had ordered, that the white and silver jf dials, the Swiss made text is printed on a flat surface created on the dial. On the blue and black dials it’s printed over the dial tapestry.

I’d never looked that close before but now I know why one looks significantly better than the other.

336d9a9971251cb6eb0f916d3b77888a.jpg
4f8a627b5efafe16d37ec574748e1154.jpg

Who is the dealer who sent the silver dial model? Are you sure it if from JF ? The recent OMF uses that kind of technique for the dial.

Reactions: N0tail_

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16

That's the most important thing. No worries about what others think. You are enjoying your rep to your maximal pleasure and that's what matters. I can't speak for the feel of the rep but yes I do have the Gen and it's buttery smooth and perhaps that's what matters to some.

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
Releasing when? How's the RG on the older models compared to gen and will the color scrath off?