• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jf ap 15400 v5

Zofz013

Horology Curious
14/3/19
It's hard to count it as a super rep imo. Anyone that gets close enough to see the hands will see that it is a rep due to the center pinhole. Also, if it ever gets off your wrist the open case back loses it all. But it is a stunning watch still with the gen white dial and i think it's good enough to wear anywhere.

Im new to this. and just got my AP15400 rep. can you tell me more about the hands and the centre pinhole? What are we looking for? Any help will be much appreciated! =)

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
Im new to this. and just got my AP15400 rep. can you tell me more about the hands and the centre pinhole? What are we looking for? Any help will be much appreciated! =)

I am not an expert and perhaps legend can chime in and correct me and educate us if i get the explanation wrong. Essentially, the hands just dont look the part in terms of quality. What's more obvious to the naked eye is that on the rep, there's a pinhole at the center of the hands while on the gen there's a cap instead of a pinhole. While minuscule, once you see it you cannot unsee and can always spot it whenever you're looking for it.

Reactions: legend and Faj

Zofz013

Horology Curious
14/3/19
I am not an expert and perhaps legend can chime in and correct me and educate us if i get the explanation wrong. Essentially, the hands just dont look the part in terms of quality. What's more obvious to the naked eye is that on the rep, there's a pinhole at the center of the hands while on the gen there's a cap instead of a pinhole. While minuscule, once you see it you cannot unsee and can always spot it whenever you're looking for it.

I'll be damed. Yes u are right. Now I cant unsee it! My eyes! What have i done!

Faj

10/3/19
I'll be dammed. Yes u are right. Now I cant unsee it! My eyes! What have i done!

... and not only to yourself, you have done that to me too - darn it. :shok:

still thank you for asking this question - I was wondering too.
Like "What the heck they are talking about" - still a newbie.

I am better in pulling the trigger ordering new stuff rather than eating the fruits of knowledge :blink:

Reactions: MaSTeRVoRTeX

MrOptional

8/10/18
here is something from my personal experience... just when you are ready just get the latest watch you can afford, and that's it. also these new versions pop up like crazy, always something better is going to come out tomorrow.
I ordered 15400 v3 in November, received in in December. When I got it in the mail, within few days v4 came out. I think it had slightly better DW and printing, not really noticeable. A month later v5 came out with better engravings... and more $$.. I am happy with my v3. When v10 comes out I might upgrade ) :)

so yea just pull the trigger on v5 and thats it.

Reactions: Faj

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
here is something from my personal experience... just when you are ready just get the latest watch you can afford, and that's it. also these new versions pop up like crazy, always something better is going to come out tomorrow.
I ordered 15400 v3 in November, received in in December. When I got it in the mail, within few days v4 came out. I think it had slightly better DW and printing, not really noticeable. A month later v5 came out with better engravings... and more $$.. I am happy with my v3. When v10 comes out I might upgrade ) :)

so yea just pull the trigger on v5 and thats it.

Doesn’t matter what version they release M. It’ll never be like the gen. As long as you understand and accept that it’ll always be a rep with flaws, you’ll be happy with a v3 or v900. New releases in this hobby are mostly marketing ploys with very little substantial improvements. That’s why there’s so many versions, each one with 1-2 tiny improvements (and maybe some regressions)accompanied by large marketing hype.
To me there’s only 2 versions for every watch:
1. Gen
2. Not gen. V1-V9999 are in this category. Frankens are also in this category but with the correct gen parts, some frankens can be pretty convincingly visually.

Yes this hobby is about rep watches and customizing or upgrading them to make them better for ourselves. But at the same time we need to learn that new version releases for reps are mostly designed to increase sales and capitalize on market interest for a given watch, rather than cater to what they actually want. I generally enjoy member-improved builds (modded pieces, frankens etc) more than new stock factory releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
... and not only to yourself, you have done that to me too - darn it. :shok:

still thank you for asking this question - I was wondering too.
Like "What the heck they are talking about" - still a newbie.

I am better in pulling the trigger ordering new stuff rather than eating the fruits of knowledge :blink:

Glad to be of some help. I'm also a newbie like you guys but i've learnt from the best in this game legend . Ultimately, buy and wear what you like. There's only a few people out there who own gens and have studied reps enough to spot the differences. The rest of the society couldn't even care less about what you have on your wrist or may mistaken it as a Rolex. But nothing substitutes the joy of having a gen on the wrist and I urge members to not confuse reps with gen.

Raziel70707

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/3/19
Yup, newbie with new eyes now lol never even noticed that till now.

Pope

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/2/19
N0tail_ Tigerdragon
heres a pic of my jf15400 v5 modded by rnrprof
He put in a gen dial (bought from eBay), re-lumed the hour, minute, and second hands to match the gen dial lume. He also silenced the rotor, waterproofed it, and installed the 2xar crystal. It’s pretty close to perfect now, but would still do a case thinning if anyone in CONUS is reading this and can do that sort of thing :)

Could you share pics of before/after to compare the JF dial with the gen?

Reactions: Rolemars

Cgeezy14

Horology Curious
16/1/19
BlackJaguar i bought the v5 and my bracelet was also sharp around the edges so I just pulled the trigger on a gen bracelet. Will have it in hand tomorrow :D

Reactions: vcappp

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
BlackJaguar i bought the v5 and my bracelet was also sharp around the edges so I just pulled the trigger on a gen bracelet. Will have it in hand tomorrow :D

You won't regret it. The feel of the gen bracelet is day and night with the rep. It really takes the watch to the next level.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
I think going rate online is about $2,000, but I paid $1,500 for it (got a deal from a buddy).

Reactions: vcappp

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Anyone with a gen bracelet can post here some pictures for comparison? :)