• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jf ap 15400 v5

Cgeezy14

Horology Curious
16/1/19
N0tail_ Tigerdragon
heres a pic of my jf15400 v5 modded by rnrprof
He put in a gen dial (bought from eBay), re-lumed the hour, minute, and second hands to match the gen dial lume. He also silenced the rotor, waterproofed it, and installed the 2xar crystal. It’s pretty close to perfect now, but would still do a case thinning if anyone in CONUS is reading this and can do that sort of thing :)

Reactions: SliverSurfer

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Oops forgot the link there...

Fantastic mate!!!

Next time use the bbcodes for the pics here instead of the URL!

VIIyyD.jpg

VIIKBs.jpg

VIIIHU.jpg

Looks absolutely amazing! I'm thinking of building a very similar franken, but with black or blue dial :) What was the total cost of this beauty? Did you buy the dial yourself?
Cheers

Cgeezy14

Horology Curious
16/1/19
ruimpinho i bought the dial myself for $1000 on eBay from a trusted seller. He was selling a black one for the same price and I contacted him to source me a white dial. Took him about a week. The watch itself was around $450 from puretime. The mods that I mentioned cost me about $400 including shipping. All together around $1,850. I considered buying a gen bracelet but that would put me around $3,500 for the whole piece and although I’m sure it would be worth it, the bracelet on the rep is actually pretty good. It’s a pretty hefty tag but if this isn’t now a super rep, I don’t know what is.

mich.bal

Known Member
15/5/17
It's an amazing beautiful piece but... I think that JF white dial is very close to Gen dial and 1000$ is too much for a very little difference.
If I have to spend these money for mod mine with a Gen dial, I will l consider only the blue dial. This is my Humble thought

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
ruimpinho i bought the dial myself for $1000 on eBay from a trusted seller. He was selling a black one for the same price and I contacted him to source me a white dial. Took him about a week. The watch itself was around $450 from puretime. The mods that I mentioned cost me about $400 including shipping. All together around $1,850. I considered buying a gen bracelet but that would put me around $3,500 for the whole piece and although I’m sure it would be worth it, the bracelet on the rep is actually pretty good. It’s a pretty hefty tag but if this isn’t now a super rep, I don’t know what is.

It's hard to count it as a super rep imo. Anyone that gets close enough to see the hands will see that it is a rep due to the center pinhole. Also, if it ever gets off your wrist the open case back loses it all. But it is a stunning watch still with the gen white dial and i think it's good enough to wear anywhere.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Definitely not a super rep IMHO. The hands are a dead giveaway and not to mention the miyota movement is nothing like the gen.
Even theREALgoat ‘s 15400 which has a gen AP caliber installed isn’t perfect and the hands remained a tell.
If you own the gen like I do you will be able to tell the differences in any version of the rep.
Having said that, difference or not, it’s a good substitute for wearing the gen like I said. Just enjoy your watch for what it is but please do not ever imagine that it is 1:1 with the gen. They will never be in the same league, but both rep and gen can easily enjoyed for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I’m on your side of thinking with ‘super rep’ label, watches should be cloned correctly inside and out. But in the user defence with the franken, a 2824 inside a TC sub is nothing like its Gen counterpart But was still regarded as a super replica on the case bracelet hands and dial aesthetics. So I can see where the term can mean something different to different people.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’m on your side of thinking with ‘super rep’ label, watches should be cloned correctly inside and out. But in the user defence with the franken, a 2824 inside a TC sub is nothing like its Gen counterpart But was still regarded as a super replica on the case bracelet hands and dial aesthetics. So I can see where the term can mean something different to different people.

Yes labels are subjective I agree and what’s most important is that the wearer likes the watch and thinks it’s fantastic. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIONONE

28/4/17
no from me, except the swiss made

the dial is more refined - even though it is still not like the gen and there are still printing issues on some watches.

the DW is now decent - the dial layout is now more balanced (AP choose the font on purpose) - even if some could say it is a bit too big

the finish of the case+bracelet is magnificent for a rep - huge improvement

the hands are also improved - again - better 3D-effect (not comparable to the gen but definitely better) even if they are still not the same like the gen...

in the end there are of course updates which make the V2 less appealing towards the V5 - are the updates worth the extra money? i doubt it but you will get definitely a better rep in terms of gen-likeness - and as the V5 is the only thing you can officially get these days (and no more V2J, V3 etc. from our dealers) it is the best option for now and IMO a big upgrade as it looks more appealing over all.

And facing the fact that it is a rep it has to be properly build so its visual appearance is decent - one could say a better case finish - more refined details etc. etc. add a proper amount of beauty to the watch - may it not be entirely (and never will be) exact like the gen.

Petergilsbergen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
22/2/19
the dial is more refined - even though it is still not like the gen and there are still printing issues on some watches.

the DW is now decent - the dial layout is now more balanced (AP choose the font on purpose) - even if some could say it is a bit too big

the finish of the case+bracelet is magnificent for a rep - huge improvement

the hands are also improved - again - better 3D-effect (not comparable to the gen but definitely better) even if they are still not the same like the gen...

in the end there are of course updates which make the V2 less appealing towards the V5 - are the updates worth the extra money? i doubt it but you will get definitely a better rep in terms of gen-likeness - and as the V5 is the only thing you can officially get these days (and no more V2J, V3 etc. from our dealers) it is the best option for now and IMO a big upgrade as it looks more appealing over all.

And facing the fact that it is a rep it has to be properly build so its visual appearance is decent - one could say a better case finish - more refined details etc. etc. add a proper amount of beauty to the watch - may it not be entirely (and never will be) exact like the gen.

huge improvement on the bracelet sounds the best not that the bracelet on my v2 is bad but if the v5 is better that makes me very curious!
hmm maybe i'm upgrading to the grey dial

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
huge improvement on the bracelet sounds the best not that the bracelet on my v2 is bad but if the v5 is better that makes me very curious!
hmm maybe i'm upgrading to the grey dial

Be careful, though. Not sure about the v5, but my v4 bracelet was NOT buttery smooth and still had sharp edges. I ultimately bought a gen bracelet, and it's almost perfect now.

Reactions: legend

BIONONE

28/4/17
Be careful, though. Not sure about the v5, but my v4 bracelet was NOT buttery smooth and still had sharp edges. I ultimately bought a gen bracelet, and it's almost perfect now.

i was more referring to the visual finish. so your addition brings more light into my statement, thanks.