• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is it about AP

tom1912

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/2/19
australia
A couple of years ago when I just started work in my early twenties, I began noticing watches. It was partly for status symbol and partly for fashion . My very first watch was a longines legend diver, followed by a omega seamaster then a submariner. During this couple of years I've began to slowly fall more love with watches. The complications movements history and design, I'll spend hours reading about watch making (even though i can hardly understand or remember of it).

Then it suddenly hit. I remember seeing a friends royal oak offshore and lost it. Because I cannot afford a 20k watch at this time. I would spend countless hours on these forums lurking and looking at ap reps. Stuff from modders like legend so good and all of the wristshot makes me want to get a rep. Eventually i got an diver rep and since then I've stop wearing all my other watches, they all look unappealing to to me now all i can think of is 15400 and roo. I'm looking the get the roo navy and a 15400. Argh

Do you think i could be save from the AP bug? Helpppppppppp

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
I would say - don't try to escape and it will be much easier to cope with the pain... or the pleasure you gain from this hobby ;)

welcome to RWI!

tom1912

20/2/19
australia
I would say - don't try to escape and it will be much easier to cope with the pain... or the pleasure you gain from this hobby ;)

welcome to RWI!
Well said. I forsee that it's going to be both pleasure and pain! Pleasure for me and painful for my wallet. Im from Malaysia where the average income is 3000 ringgit Malaysia which is about 735 usd! Fully modded rep ap going for 1100usd!

Because of our weak currency this hobby is going to be very expensive haha. But its still afforable then saving up for gen ????

Gen royal oak 120k
Toyota corollea atis RM 110k

Reactions: Tompa

tom1912

20/2/19
australia
Move into a smaller house + Eat less + Sell your car and walk + Don't have kids = Buy more AP's
Haha sir, in Malaysia we need to have a car to travel around as the public transport system is lack lustre. And my baby girl is almost 7months now! All i can do is to increase my income with investments and savings by buying rep for now and maybe in 10 years time i can start buying gens!

tom1912

20/2/19
australia
It's too late, you're hooked.
Indeed I am! Haha but wearing a diver which cost half my car if gen taught me quite a few things.

1stly) Most people really don't care about your watch. Been wearing this for a couple of weeks and most people dont know or don't care what this is

2) and those people who actually owns gen ap or notice your watches do not know enough to call you out. Ive friends who own many luxury watches APs included and they can't tell by naked eye inspecting my diver .

3) wear your rep with confidence, the biggest tell will usually not be ur watch but you. How you carry urself in public setting!

Cheers all

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hello tom1912

Welcome firstly to the AP section. There is nothing wrong with your shift of preference. I have encountered and also experienced shifts to and away from brands, including AP.
The watch has an angular masculine appeal for me visually, and good wrist presence, something I look for in a daily wear. For me, the signature octagonal bezel alludes to a rebellious design, one that refuses to conform to the then-norms of being circular, square, rectangular or even tonneau. To me personally, AP is about the confluence of ruggedness, sportiness and an extension of how I express myself. Not all qualities associated with the brand are effable or tactile, like any other watch brand, but the connection is felt when you put it on your wrist and you know that it is the one (at least in that moment lol). Of course with AP being what it is, it is not difficult for someone wearing the watch to come across as tawdry or ostentatious under specific circumstances.
I am glad you are enjoying the brand like the rest of us here.
I hope you enjoy yourself and pick up the pertinent knowledge along the way to help you enjoy the full gamut of pleasures this hobby brings.

tom1912

20/2/19
australia
Hello tom1912

For me, the signature octagonal bezel alludes to a rebellious design, one that refuses to conform to the then-norms of being circular, square, rectangular or even tonneau. To me personally, AP is about the confluence of ruggedness, sportiness and an extension of how I express myself.

Sir ! You put it eloquently what I want to describe ! AP's like the person I'm working hard to be , Classy Yet Rugged Sporty yet Refined ! I might be remembering wrongly but I think I read somewhere that you use to have 12 franken AP at one time and now you have 12 Gen ! Its truly amazing thing to see how by our blood and tears and swear and goals we evolve with time and the things we love ! That 12 Rep to Gen story inspires me alot in terms of my personal goals. To work hard for something I love and value and finally achieving it !
And thank you for your warm welcome sir,

Reactions: hackkakid

hackkakid

18/1/19
Merica
I was hit with the bug as well. I told myself for a long time the AP's were too big for my 6.5in wrist. I decided to pickup a 15400 out of curiosity, and then a couple ROO's and now I want an AP to match every outfit, pair of shoes, belt, car and dog I own :p

Reactions: Tompa

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I was hit with the bug as well. I told myself for a long time the AP's were too big for my 6.5in wrist. I decided to pickup a 15400 out of curiosity, and then a couple ROO's and now I want an AP to match every outfit, pair of shoes, belt, car and dog I own :p

dog you say? OK then I have to ask you, what dog goes with a 15400? lol

Reactions: Allure and Garuda

tom1912

20/2/19
australia

Man I feel you ! Im just starting on my journey looking for a 15400 to wear long sleeve work shirt with, A ROO navy/safari/panda to wear it for smart casual occasion , my current diver with jeans and maybe an FC diver for working out ! ! Oh man. Can't wait ! gotta eat plain bread for a couple of months ! I am looking to get all of these but with modification first and then franken. Once I've learnt that the DW positioning is too near to the tachy, I cannot unsee it man. Thats why when I've got money to go for the mods then I'll start getting the ROOs

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
If you think you’re in deep now, wait until you’ve got a box full of parts to go in frankens ;-) some of them will sit there for months or years until it all comes together

Reactions: legend and Garuda

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
If you think you’re in deep now, wait until you’ve got a box full of parts to go in frankens ;-) some of them will sit there for months or years until it all comes together

Oh you show off. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure