• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Polished Forged Carbon

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
I recently purchased a 44mm FC here in the m2m section. Easy and perfect transaction and the watch arrived exactly as described. I wasn't sure about the FC but wanted to buy one to see if I liked it or not. I was a little disappointed with the dull finish of the carbon fiber case when it arrived compared with pictures of the gen that I had seen so I did some research on polishing.

The only threads I could find with tutorials went the route of disassembling the watch, which I am not capable of doing. I'm quite handy with the masking tape and dremel so I just went for it... The only thing I removed were the plots & strap, then carefully masked around the bezel gasket, case back and pusher housings with good quality tape. I then used a 3 stage process starting with automotive compound followed by a cleaner polish and finished with high quality carnuba wax - all applied with my dremel polishing wheel set to speed 5. A cleaning with light soap followed by a final canuba layer buffed to high gloss finished the job in less than an hour.

I also read posts that stated the JF FC finish was 'good enough' and polishing is not necessary, which I do not agree with. This REALLY wakes up the carbon...! The patterns & textures really pop and the colours are much more variated. I highly recommend giving it a try - I had no issues with just masking the watch to protect - obviously be very careful with the dremmel!

Here's a before picture from the seller's ad:

edited-image_17.png

And the after shots:

edited-image_16.png

edited-image_13.png

edited-image_14.png

edited-image_15.png

Here are the polishing products used - left to right - 1. 3M Rubbing Compound 2. Menzerma Fine Grit Polishing Compound 3. P21S Carnuba Wax:

92787093-EFDC-4CF0-9CF6-211BDEEAE681.jpg

Rustoleum automotive masking tape carefully applied - ensuring to fully cover the bezel and case back gaskets. As mentioned above, plots & straps were removed also to help access:

CC2E15CF-8D43-4D05-B5F4-3E81FFF79CEF.jpg

Here are the Dremel bits - the pads on the left for applying, the grey bit on the right for buffing after stage 2 (Menzerma). Stage 1 (3M compound) took roughly 15 minutes with the Dremel set to speed 5, I then removed the compound thoroughly using a microfiber cloth. Stage 2 application took roughly 10 minutes with the Dremel at the same speed, I then buffed the case using the grey bit with the Dremel set to 4. Stage 3 - the P21S was applied by hand generously, I then carefully washed the watch with a wet/mild soapy microfiber and then dried it thoroughly before applying another coat of P21S. Final buff with a clean microfiber. You will also need to clean out the plot bar holes - I used a tooth pick & paper towel.

3D65FC4A-8390-4A60-AA13-43301D0E935D.jpg

Last edited:

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Great job !

Not sure where you read it but jf fc is indeed dull

Xf has a way shinier marbling on their fc diver. They sparkle in sunlight

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Great job !

Not sure where you read it but jf fc is indeed dull

Xf has a way shinier marbling on their fc diver. They sparkle in sunlight

Thanks

I can't remember which forum... I did a google search on polishing forged carbon AP's, so there were several links that I looked through.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Wish you had documented the masking and products used
I’d like to give it a try with my dremel

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
awesome job done!

Would also like to see/know what the process looked like - and what for tools were used.

Maybe you get another FC watch in the future and have the opportunity to make a nice tutorial hehe ;)

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
Wow well done! Def. brings the watch to life, does not look the same at all. Do you mind sharing which compound you use? I do have a bunch of detailing products and would be interested in giving this a try in the future.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Wish you had documented the masking and products used
I’d like to give it a try with my dremel

Carbon fiber and epoxy resin can polished with automotive polishing compounds to get the clear effect.
Polishing compounts are climate based on the gritt number that can "erase" - polish.
The factory polish on AP look close to 1200-2000 grit. A common medium compound of 1500-2000 grit should be ok.

Use soft mediums to apply, like soft sponge or fur. Do not stack in a point to be shinny. Pass it by and work again on it in different direction than before.

Polishing compounds are mostly harmless and washed away with water.
Home oriented compounds (like those that clean ceramic ovens etc) are considered close to 1500grit.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
awesome job done!

Would also like to see/know what the process looked like - and what for tools were used.

Maybe you get another FC watch in the future and have the opportunity to make a nice tutorial hehe ;)

I added to my original post to show the products tools etc used... Happy to answer any other questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperLory