• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Default Making a JF AP 15400 more gen like?

ddking

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/18
ap2017110509-01.jpg

What can a man do to make this more gen like... I'm thinking thinning the case, changing the date wheel and reluming the dial... also is there any mods we can do to the dials for a more gen like sparkle?

If you looked at this watch on wrist what are the obvioussly tells?

Where can I source a gen/mikey font wheel?

So I am interested in modding the dial, perhaps removing the markets and logo and refitting them perfectly to match gen, alos maybe a clear lacquer or something to help the dial pop a bit more?

Mikey date wheel would be nice, but sosurcing them? or getting another mate up.

Prof crystal?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The watch model in the pic will never be gen-like, no matter what you do to it.

1. Dial tapisseries and printing are off
2. Rose gold color is off for the case
3. Hands center is wrong. Hands are not as refined as gen
4. Weight of case is off.
5. Datewheel isn't accurate.
6. miyota movement is of course totally different from gen caliber. Turn the watch over and the joke will be on you
7. If I have to nitpick on the finer details: The markers shape and bezel screws finish look wrong too.

Do whatever mods you want and align the markers and logo to get a watch which is visually nice and one which pleases you. Yes.
But NOTHING you do will make the watch gen-like, and you need to manage your expectations and stop using this unrealistic benchmark. If you are expecting your watch to be 1:1 from gen after all the mods you mentioned, you will be sorely disappointed after spending a good amount of money to mod the watch. Even if you put a gen dial in this, it will look exactly like a 15400 replica with a gen dial. In this hobby, if you aim to please yourself, you can have many nice watches. But if you want a "gen-like" watch, this is the wrong brand. AP is one of the worst replica brands in terms of accuracy of details. That is why so many members opted to go down the franken route for AP watches they really like. But even those are not perfect, though admittedly more "gen-like".

Manage your expectations wisely and you will be a happy camper no matter what the rest of the world thinks. My definition of "gen-like" had been criticized by veterans like SuperLory and red1 but I do suspect that it is also because they like to sledgehammer my posts randomly :p

If you really like this watch and are serious about making it gen-like, it is possible, but it involves a lot more time and money than the paltry mods you mentioned.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
There isn’t much a man could do to make this watch more gen like, a wizard might be able to help

Stick to the stainless 15400 if you are looking for less flaws, but it’s still not going yo be “gen like”

If a thinner watch and aligned markers are important to you then legend is the man to talk to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: legend