• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New gen 42mm ROO's 26480TI at SIHH 2019

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
Interesting, didn't catch this during the show. Not really impressed though, just looks like a larger bulkier version of the ROC.

The 38mm ROC that came out though...=D

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
My sales agent at AP introduced this to me a few weeks back.
I was not interested then, because like what nsk2135 said, it looks to me like a chunkier ROC with different pushers.
But I have never seen it in person, so will reserve my comments until I happen to view it and try it on.
The AP rep makers are doing an atrocious job in general replicating the ROOs, so I guess this is out of reach for them at this current moment.

Reactions: Allure

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
My first impression is that the dial is overly cluttered with too many printed lines and markers which IMO minimizes the effect of the tapisserie. Also I'm not keen on the shape or proportions of the hands - seems to me as though the designer was trying too hard to do something unexpected and lost sight of the elegance of the brand. As Legend stated this is one that you probably need to see and hold before you can form a firm opinion.

I could see this watch being quite stunning in the certain colour combinations.

Reactions: rj999

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I really like the thinness afforded by the integrated chronograph movement. I don’t love how the 42 mm size was accomplished by embedding the small caliber into a large case, as enlarging the bezel changes the geometry that makes the ROO so right. Also I don’t care for the 4:30 date window as it is too generic for so many chronos. Having said that, I would think that Noob with their mastery of the 3135 movement from their Daytona project should be able to switch 3 and 9 subdial functions and add a date complication to replicate the ROC movement used here.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Wow the thickness of this watch

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK
I like the everytng about the new ROOs apart from the 3,6,9 subdials but hey, that will grow on me I guess with the time. With that said, I like Cartier pasha and Santos chronos and they use same dial layout so I guess just the combination of both ROO and dial layout that makes my brain a bit confused.

Also as jurgenk mentioned maybe noob can modify their Daytona movement and add a date function to emulate the new in-house AP movement. If Daytona currently is 12.2mm adding a date to their movement will also add some thickness but I suspect it will be very close.

All in all if noob decide to embark on another AP journey there will be exciting times ahead of us.

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK
Jurgenk The layout for the ROOs and Daytona subdials is the same, so no need to swap anything, just add date module.

Reactions: Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Jurgenk The layout for the ROOs and Daytona subdials is the same, so no need to swap anything, just add date module.

You're absolutely right! This is totally doable, and should allow them to plug and play at the same time into any ROC!

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
„Just add a date module“ :D haha

you think the chinese manufacturers are capable of doing something like this without any help or blue print from a genuine sample?

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
„Just add a date module“ :D haha

you think the chinese manufacturers are capable of doing something like this without any help or blue print from a genuine sample?

They did a pretty good job of reverse engineering the quick set hour hand, 12 hour GMT and second hand hack on a Panerai 441/438 without cloning the in house P.9001 movement.

They added an additional set of plates on top of an A7750 for a non-sunken date and added a quick set date to reverse engineer the 7753 without cloning it.

So I think this is probably not beyond their capabilities.

Reactions: SuperLory

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
They did a pretty good job of reverse engineering the quick set hour hand, 12 hour GMT and second hand hack on a Panerai 441/438 without cloning the in house P.9001 movement.

They added an additional set of plates on top of an A7750 for a non-sunken date and added a quick set date to reverse engineer the 7753 without cloning it.

So I think this is probably not beyond their capabilities.

You have the point here, Sir.

I wasnt aware of the bespoken panerai models as i am not into them.

Thank you for the enlightenment!

Reactions: Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Yeah, I’ve been a bit surprised myself. We’re so used to seeing A7750 movements with dodgy transfer wheels to attain second subdials at 12 or 6 that invariably succumb to friction from metal on metal contact. You wouldn’t think decent custom complications would be a thing in the rep world.

Yet here we are, the Noob factory has cloned the SA4130 integrated chrono movement at substantial cost. Setting up a date complication on top of the thin SA4130 should not be a big deal... not trivial but not beyond their abilities.

Last edited: