• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quick Review of a JF 15202 39mm Blue from legend

nubirth

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Pictures are below if you want to skip directly to them. Excuse my substandard phone camera.

After a lot of lurking I finally bit the bullet late last year and decided to go for a blue JF 15202. But, through the course of my extensive lurking I had come to know the shortcomings of this model, so I resolved to only proceed on the basis that it be modded. The stock thickness defeats the purpose in my opinion, and my boney wrist doesn't do much to aid matters. Any other tidying up would also be handled in the process; realignment of markers, logo etc. and thus would save me the hassle of having to worry about whether the piece provided by the TD was up to scratch (for the record the piece provided was pretty good).

With that in mind I set out to look for a modder on this board and couldn't help but notice the threads that would appear from time to time from satisfied customers of legend. I was impressed with the finish and attention to detail I saw, as well as his extensive knowledge contribution to the board, so I knew I'd likely be in reliable hands. Phone numbers were duly exchanged and off we went.

Let me start by saying that, as this was to be my first AP, I had no issues with waiting. Even if it had taken months that would've been fine by me. So I went into the project with what I believe to be the right frame of mind, as opposed to the instant gratification mentality that can exist. Nothing wrong with the latter I guess, but I'm generally a very patient person and prefer to let professionals get on with their craft rather than be capricious and pester and stifle them.

We agreed to thin as best as possible, silence the rotor, and remove 6 links (ended up being 5 as that's the max on this model). I sent payment in late December and I received my watch last week. I would call that a fairly quick turnaround for the work requested. There was a slight hiccup when the TD almost sent the wrong watch but as legend sent me QC pics, I was able to prevent this and the correct model was sent. At the beginning of the process, he told me to leave him to it, which I did, bar one query as we approached Chinese New Year.

I'm thrilled with the piece. It sits at about 8.8mm thickness, fits my wrist as perfectly as any bracelet ever will given the shape and thinness of my wrist, is waterproofed to 5 ATM and was also given a general clean to remove some marks and blemishes from the factory. Nothing really new to note on this model as it's been covered extensively on this board: the blue face isn't as good as the quartz, the printing on the face is woeful and the bracelet is superb. All of which I was aware of. So no real complaints from me. I managed my expectations accordingly.

It's worth adding that I'm doing this review of my own volition. I wasn’t asked to do it. I'm genuinely very happy with the piece and I felt it was right to give a large part of the credit for that to legend. Moreover, I didn't ask the price of his services prior to engaging him, yet I found the final pricing to be very reasonable for the work carried out. This was more down to trust and being able to see that he has a genuine passion for horology, over just running his operation purely for financial gain. So I had no real concerns.

I'd say to those of you who are willing to be patient for an excellent end product should consider legend's services. For those of you who are, shall we say, generally chomping at the bit in life, perhaps it might be an idea to look for a different modder. I believe he worked on 9 watches in this batch - that's no mean feat. Despite this he was still able to provide me with exactly what I wanted. That's definitely in part down to just leaving him to it so that he could give full attention to all his present customers' pieces.

One thing I may do in the coming days is put this model alongside the quartz $139 model so that those of you who are looking for a side-by-side comparison have some insight. The face is certainly superior on the quartz but that's about it. The bracelet makes it a no go for me even at the very low price point. The less said about that appalling ordeal the better. I'll document that in a separate review.

Some pics from the TD:

0217cb5fd4c0eb0f03.jpg

031b42c4a3cf7024f5.jpg

044eb5858846c87d7c.jpg

05709547f7c07ea79f.jpg

After thinning:

06698624090361e90f.jpg

Ready to ship:

078e105061bb9027a3.jpg

In the sunlight:

08290586073102db79.jpg

092fc6a0a5f4792b6b.jpg

10022696fcb2f2b87e.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
nubirth thank you for the kind review I appreciate your patience and trust throughout the process.
Your level of writing is certainly impressive.
I am glad you found the watch palatable, and though it is not gen-perfect, it is a nice piece to don on the wrist in terms of comfort and presence.
Thank you also for being a lot more patient than I have been during the waiting process. I always recognize and appreciate a fine gentleman like you, even if I know that I am not always being one myself. :D

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Can you put inside quarz dial?

odonreps

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/18
Legend worked on my 5711, also excellent job, thinned beautifully, markers aligned. I recommend him highly.

Reactions: legend

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Someone can answer me please?
Is it possible to put quarz dial in JF 15202?

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17

I have the same question...

Also would be nice the side-by-side comparison with the quartz.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Beautifully done, great review. Not many of us bought these out of spite to JF because of the big time flaws to gen. However as a watch on it's own, it's great.

Reactions: phdsjain

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Whether the quartz dial can fit the JF watch will depend on:

1. Movement size and thickness
2. Date window position
3. Whether stem lines up or not.

Some modding will be very likely be needed if it can be made to fit. I am in contact with nubirth to send his JF and quartz watches to me to try to get this done.

Reactions: Allure and vcappp

mid106

23/4/19

Hi.
I moved the movement and dial of Quartz 15202 to JF 15202,and made the case thinner.
(Case:JF 15202 Movement and Dial:15202 Quartz)

Because the type and length of the stem differ between the 15202 quartz and the JF 15202,
I have prepared one stem for the 15202 quartz.
The 15202 quartz movement is “HATTORI VJ52B Quartz Movement”.
To attach the 15202 quartz movement to the JF 15202 case,
use part of the movement spacer originally attached to the 15202 quartz.

Specifically, the JF15202 case is smaller than the 15202 quartz case,
so the movement space originally mounted on the 15202 quartz does not fit completely into the JF15202 case.
Therefore, it is necessary to cut this movement space to a suitable length and use it.

[About stem]
I used Crown removed from Stem, which was originally attached to JF 15202.

[About crown]
If you can remove Crown from the stem attached to the 15202 quartz, it is possible to use that stem.
If you can not remove it well, you will have to prepare another stem for "HATTORI VJ52B Quartz Movement".
In either case, adjusting the stem length is required.
You can find how to adjust the stem length on YouTube etc.

[About stem and crown]
The crown of JF15202 can be fitted with a stem of 15202 quartz.
In other words, the crown of JF15202 can be attached to the stem for "HATTORI VJ52B Quartz Movement".

I hope you find my description informative.

↓Case:JF15202, Movement and Dial:15202 Quartz
Case:JF 15202    Movement and Dial:15202 Quartz

↓Case:JF15202, Movement and Dial:15202 Quartz
Case:JF 15202  Movement and Dial:15202 Quartz

Reactions: phdsjain

mid106

23/4/19
I have the same question...

Also would be nice the side-by-side comparison with the quartz.

Hi.
I hope you find above my description informative.:)

Last edited:

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
sweeet...and are you using a closed caseback right ?

mid106

23/4/19
sweeet...and are you using a closed caseback right ?

The caseback is not a closed caseback, but uses the JF AP 15202's original caseback.
I once removed the glass from the case back and made the case thinner.

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Can you explain how you made the JF caseback thin? I would like to do the same thing on my 15300 BP. Does the rotor turn the same?