• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are Mikey Hands still available?

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
I've searched around but haven't found anything definitive. I know that he has retired from producing date wheels, but hands too?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
No more hands either

Reactions: Floyd334

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Thanks for the replies gents. Just as I get into the hobby, one of the most important craftsmen to the rep AP community stops producing his great products... Typical!

Hopefully some other skilled individual will realize the opportunity but I won't hold my breath.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Haven’t you heard, the new thing is to bash frankens that don’t have gen hands, Mikey hands are for peasants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Haven’t you heard, the new thing is to bash frankens that don’t have gen hands, Mikey hands are for peasants

do sense there is slight tension in the atmosphere with franken builds. owners without gen hands are walking on egg shells and no longer write a review or post wristies. slight shame!? we use to enjoy reading the detailed reviews by the daytona's tinitonsi's tosobo's, now we just look at QC pictures for xf diver and 15400 v4 :D

Reactions: MasterWatch

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15

*shows clips of mobs lifting big “gen hands are a must” banners*

Reactions: MrBeasy

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Haven’t we all heard about the over sensitive apparent users of Mikey Hands that wish their hands were gen and now get extremely butthurt when someone mentions hands?

Idk if true or not but I’ve heard that this weird thing surfaced where one could see some people run away when someone else looked at their Franken too close covering their watch with their hands.

Come on guys, wtaf is wrong here. Nobody gives two f's if you have Mikey Hands in your watch or not. Just be ready to accept criticism for it, if the owner can live with it or doesn’t mind the difference, I have absolutely no problem with that but what does it show if people get overly sensitive about such critical comments? Hmm..

Reactions: legend

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Haven’t we all heard about the over sensitive apparent users of Mikey Hands that wish their hands were gen and now get extremely butthurt when someone mentions hands?

Idk if true or not but I’ve heard that this weird thing surfaced where one could see some people run away when someone else looked at their Franken too close covering their watch with their hands.

Come on guys, wtaf is wrong here. Nobody gives two f's if you have Mikey Hands in your watch or not. Just be ready to accept criticism for it, if the owner can live with it or doesn’t mind the difference, I have absolutely no problem with that but what does it show if people get overly sensitive about such critical comments? Hmm..

In my humble opinion in the past 6 (?) months there has been a crescendo of harsh criticism, uncalled for, in regards to royal oak offshore frankens.

I see i’m not the only one noticing it and i believe it is not healthy for the community.
Again, in my humble opinion.

Reactions: Garuda

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
In my humble opinion in the past 6 (?) months there has been a crescendo of harsh criticism, uncalled for, in regards to royal oak offshore frankens.

I see i’m not the only one noticing it and i believe it is not healthy for the community.

Everything not perfect needs criticism until it can be called perfect. I for one can say that most of you guys should know me and my way of expressing on here, so I'm a bit baffled at how everyone seems to be crying around.

What was Mikey's original intention in making the DWs, in making the hands? To get a good aftermarket alternative for stuff that was so scarce or not usable in gen form (hands / DWs). And I have every piece of respect for Mikey and he knows that. For what he did for our hobby, we can't ever make that up to him.

Additional to that there's been ever so many people overhyping their frankens by making them better than they are. Wordings like Super Duper Franken, Genstein, you name it, I've seen it.

Mikey hands are great for what they are - an aftermarket alternative to gen hands. Nothing else. And as I said, if someone is fine with that, he can also take criticism and obviously state that he doesn't care too much about the hands being gen or not. Which I and most certainly others can and will respect.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18

Well, if any of the butthurt few want to sell me a couple of sets of those disgraceful Mikey hands please send me a PM!

Having only been around here for a few months, I've done a lot of reading through old threads to try to educate myself as much as possible so that I can make good purchases and understand as many of the minuscule differences between rep, modded and franken as possible. I have definitely noticed that the older threads (or posts within threads) seem much less critical and much more enthusiastic.

Shame I missed the good'ol days!

hackkakid

18/1/19
Merica
I am in the same boat, got in a bit too late and most of the really nice AP's are no longer available from TD's and the aftermarket parts market has seemed to dry up quite a bit :-(

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13
do sense there is slight tension in the atmosphere with franken builds. owners without gen hands are walking on egg shells and no longer write a review or post wristies. slight shame!? we use to enjoy reading the detailed reviews by the daytona's tinitonsi's tosobo's, now we just look at QC pictures for xf diver and 15400 v4 :D

I thought I was the only one thinking the same thing haha. The AP forum has lost a bit of excitement for a while now and yes seems like we just look at QC pics of the Diver , few so called V2 44mm's a lot of 15400 V3&V4 QC's. That's what it's come to , that's why we take it out on poor newbie's who post new threads just to ask questions that already have answers if they typed in the search box LOOOOL. Hope things pick up later this year haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Garuda

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Everything not perfect needs criticism until it can be called perfect. I for one can say that most of you guys should know me and my way of expressing on here, so I'm a bit baffled at how everyone seems to be crying around.

the over critical comments do not help after people drop $4.5k on a fresh build. not everyone here is thick skinned or willing to pay $800 on pair hands so they just become lurkers and the knowledge base slowly diminishes.

building AP/Patek frankens is not like rolex franken where you find reasonably priced genuine dials, hands, crown, datewheels. if they miss a gen part have a word over a beer + pot vaseline instead of going full no lube. :D

Last edited:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
the over critical comments do not help after people drop $4.5k on a fresh build. not everyone here is thick skinned or willing to pay $800 on pair hands so they just become lurkers and the knowledge base slowly diminishes.

building AP/Patek frankens is not like rolex franken where you find reasonably priced genuine dials, hands, crown, datewheels. if they miss a gen part just give them a wink instead of breakdown to why their build is so inferior to gen.

But neither does worshipping these kind of builds. I haven't seen an overly critical comment in quite a while mate. Even if, at the end of the day any franken no matter which gen parts it has will remain exactly that- a franken.

I really value your and SuperLory s opinions so I'm more than happy to talk this out to not only share my point of view but also see others.

Dantona1984

6/2/17
England
Like a few guys in the thread, I’m fairly new to the scene but have read through a fair few threads to catch up.

Most franken models I’ve seen (in the sales section) usually consist of gen dial & tech, mikey DW & hands. Thinner case, and cyclops changed. Would changing the mikey DW and hands to gen justify calling it a super franken?

Interested as I’d love to assemble one myself (not build).

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Like a few guys in the thread, I’m fairly new to the scene but have read through a fair few threads to catch up.

Most franken models I’ve seen (in the sales section) usually consist of gen dial & tech, mikey DW & hands. Thinner case, and cyclops changed. Would changing the mikey DW and hands to gen justify calling it a super franken?

Interested as I’d love to assemble one myself (not build).
Gen datewheel won’t fit a lwo. You’d need a gen movement as well for that.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15

This is what my comment was aimed at, I see a lot of comments about frankens being incomplete, unwearable etc just because they don’t have gen hands. Different people have different limits to what they will spend on a replica, not everyone wants to drop $500 on a set of hands only they will see. I personally have never even sought out gen hands

I agree that people need to realise putting a gen dial in a modded JF doesn’t equal a super franken, and in sales threads, potential buyers should be made aware of this.

Gen hands are just another sprinkle of glitter on your pig of a replica watch, as the saying goes. It’s never going to be the real thing