• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15500 41mm

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
An example of the rep getting the case proportions wrong:

In the gen pictured below, the bezel extends almost all the way to the edge of the midcase and in the rep the space between bezel and midcase is too large. It’s visually wrong if you know what to look for.
ee71cafc7fdeaf7bd31d1e4eb1295810.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
The 15400 case seems slightly different from the 15500, right? I saw one in the flesh a few weeks ago and it appeared a bit slimmer around the bezel. And it’s officially just a bit thicker.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The 15400 case seems slightly different from the 15500, right? I saw one in the flesh a few weeks ago and it appeared a bit slimmer around the bezel. And it’s officially just a bit thicker.

Both are 41mm but the proportions are different. The midcase of the 15500 is thicker and the bezel also seems thicker in width.
The rep makers seem to be using the 15400 case to build the 15500 on and it looks plain wrong. It’s like trying to fit a man into a lady’s dress and trying to present the entire shebang as Mr Olympia.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Hopefully JF doesn't do the same.

JF seems to taking the time to cook one so... let's hope they don't say "hey why not just use our 15400 case and feed them with that?"
Kobe reported that JF and ZF got the gen (unlike OMF i guess), so let's just wait to see the final result.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
JF seems to taking the time to cook one so... let's hope they don't say "hey why not just use our 15400 case and feed them with that?"
Kobe reported that JF and ZF got the gen (unlike OMF i guess), so let's just wait to see the final result.

Actually it doesn’t matter if JF or ZF has the gen in hand or not. There has been countless cases of rep factories “having the gen in hand” and till today, none of the watches replicated from the “gens” are super reps. Not even close.
I am willing to bet you $100 that the release by JF or ZF will not be perfect either, not by far. They will still manage to royally screw up one detail or another. Lol

Reactions: Allure and SHB

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Actually it doesn’t matter if JF or ZF has the gen in hand or not. There has been countless cases of rep factories “having the gen in hand” and till today, none of the watches replicated from the “gens” are super reps. Not even close.
I am willing to bet you $100 that the release by JF or ZF will not be perfect either, not by far. They will still manage to royally screw up one detail or another. Lol

Don't kill our faith in it A :D

For being honest, I know both of them won't produce a single (AP) super rep but i'm pretty sure they won't (at least ZF) use the 15400 case, for the rest it's another story, also the open caseback with decoplate is the ultimate giveaway but well... when we're wearing our reps none of use wear it backside :D

You know what, i'm kinda happy that ZF come into the AP market, i'm tired of the JF monopoly (can't count OMF or FKF or whatever F since they're just to my eyes dhgate standards and using a JF as sample to "clone" lol ), with their excessive prices and lazy improvement, since they are the only one to releases the "HQ" APs they didn't bothered to push the quality higher (unlike noob by dropping APs and focusing on theirs rolex submariner/daytona), noob deserve the 500usd for their rolex, JF doesn't.

ZF is know for their good release at affordable prices (they also made some good job almost super rep like the tudor BBs and GMT or the JLC moonphase), make sure they will strike the AP market and JF will be in the need to (wake up) make something.

The next months will be decisive and i can't wait for the ZF 15400 and 15500.

My 2 cents and sorry for my broken english.

Last edited:

Chronoss

Horology Curious
27/8/13
I would love someone to do a gen vs rep test on a great quality rep with an average person that is no watch geek. I bet it will come close to a chance guess.

if anything, certainly in this test nobody will say one was shit because the upper case part was proportionately smaller than the lower case or anything like that.

instead of bashing all makers do, how about appreciating and being happy this even exists in the first place?

maybe something to think about, instead „this is shit, that is shit“.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I would love someone to do a gen vs rep test on a great quality rep with an average person that is no watch geek. I bet it will come close to a chance guess.

if anything, certainly in this test nobody will say one was shit because the upper case part was proportionately smaller than the lower case or anything like that.

instead of bashing all makers do, how about appreciating and being happy this even exists in the first place?

I agree with you that we bash makers, but they sell thoses bad rep at the price of a good one, if you're happy to pay 400 bucks for an (average) dhgate quality rep then...
Better adds 100 bucks and go with a clone movement from vsf/noob.

Reactions: Champsy

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Yes, we are in the hobby long enough to recognize that a rep will always be a rep with imperfections. The makers themselves should be responsible enough also to acknowledge this, instead of advertising their wares with words like "1:1", "replicated from gen" etc. All utter BS which leads to inflated expectations, false hope and ultimately, disappointment when the reps are dissected and reviewed on the forums. So on one end you get the factories trying to promote their watches as the best replicas on the planet, and on the other we have the experts who methodically take each claim down with their own research and observations.

I am grateful for this hobby, don't get me wrong. But let us also not forget that the very fundamental meaning of the word "replica", alludes to the fact that it is replicating an object. In this case, the object in question is the genuine watch. So there are absolute and subjective benchmarks to which the products from the makers are compared to. And the fact that many models have iterations like V2, V3-Vxx simply points to the fact that efforts exist in the game to improve the products better. The motivation of the improvements remain a moot point, but if the makers are to call their watches "custom novelties", all points of comparisons will cease.
As to how much flaws/tells one sees, this varies in individuals and honestly it does not matter if a non-watch geek or anyone else does not know. The fact is, it is up to the wearer to know and accept the tells.

You raise a good point ultimately: Everyone has the right to enjoy the hobby in his/her own capacity, and some do so in much greater depth and width than others. Many are just happy to buy a stock 15400 for example, strap it on and call it good, and others, not so. Feel free to ignore the dissensions because it is always subjective. You make your own judgement and enjoy your watch your own way and others will do the same. I understand your point, and it is a valid one for one end of the spectrum regarding member opinions.

Reactions: Allure and Spinboy7

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
regardless of accuracy to gen or beauty compared to 15400 it is a phenomenally good looking watch in its own right. I will be offering them with 2xar's silenced rotors, water tested etc. Im sure when the JF model comes out next year its going to be incredible, until then these are great

69A319A5-03D6-41E5-97F1-AD01DA0A0638c5b1af4c4e0a5c21.jpg

211023D7-E194-4D2B-84F8-8BF94F05A9594a22b3db84ff5961.jpg

958F0090-A404-4400-A844-13DE3CC0EEEE6a1679d4859e4be9.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
regardless of accuracy to gen or beauty compared to 15400 it is a phenomenally good looking watch in its own right. I will be offering them with 2xar's silenced rotors, water tested etc. Im sure when the JF model comes out next year its going to be incredible, until then these are great

I agree with you, what you showed are pics of a nice looking watch, though nothing at all like the AP 15500.
I actually think that for a customized watch, it does look very nice on its own, no comparisons with JF or gen or whatever needed.

Reactions: Allure

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Buddy, sorry but this has nothing to do with the real 15500 ????

Reactions: legend

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Lol bro, gen for reference

e81284570c212f44041825160a9b5ee9.jpg

62ade6e53b7f5a6fc34e2ea177012188.jpg

817d193c0638a3dbbc109008ebdde9f1.jpg

Love this in the blue dial , but gray looks amazing too if you prefer monochrome looks like some folks :)
Was this hard to get in blue?
Nice to see you back here!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Lol bro, gen for reference

e81284570c212f44041825160a9b5ee9.jpg

62ade6e53b7f5a6fc34e2ea177012188.jpg

817d193c0638a3dbbc109008ebdde9f1.jpg

Yes. The difference between the gen and reps (any rep we see in this thread) is night and day. Putting double AR on the rep blue dial only accentuates how horribly wrong it is as a replica. But as a customized fantasy watch (which has nothing in common with the 15500 or AP), I do like the project watch posted above, nice little novelty.

Thanks bro for showing how a gen 15500 should look and providing the reference for comparisons for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Yes. The difference between the gen and reps (any rep we see in this thread) is night and day. Putting double AR on the rep blue dial only accentuates how horribly wrong it is as a replica. But as a customized fantasy watch (which has nothing in common with the 15500 or AP), I do like the project watch posted above, nice little novelty.

Thanks bro for showing how a gen 15500 should look and providing the reference for comparisons for us.

The one by OMF is an Homage to the 15500 rather than a Replica.