• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15500 41mm

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
you see from (probably TD) bad quality images of 640x480 that the Logo is too thick vs gen?

:D I’m sorry but for someone that probably has seen neither a gen nor the rep in question that is quite a statement.

i am really not in the business of flaming anyone, but this is just such a great example of so many things wrong with „reviews“ in this hobby.

I agree with you to a large degree. Without the rep and gen both in hand, it is not possible to do a proper review/comparison. I have said this a few times. I am not in favor of anyone who does not have the gen and rep in hand doing a comparison/review post. This holds true also for specific rep vs rep comparisons. I own the gen 15500 and 15400s and because I do not own the rep, I refrain from comparison/review threads until and unless I have both in hand.
Having said that, some flaws, like dimensions (thickness, length, width, proportions etc) can be seen from pics if you observe carefully. Color can be a lot trickier as you need both watches under the same lighting and angles.

It is far more credible, like you implied, for comparison/review posts to be done having both or all the objects of comparisons in hand. I like the one which Mech500 did on the blue 15400. Anybody can google, or look at gens through shop windows, or go to an AD to handle one briefly. Anyone.
But to do a proper review, I think that one will at least need both watches in hand for a meaningful period of time, and compare them through live observation rather than subjective memory.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I agree with you to a large degree. Without the rep and gen both in hand, it is not possible to do a proper review/comparison. I have said this a few times. I am not in favor of anyone who does not have the gen and rep in hand doing a comparison/review post. This holds true also for specific rep vs rep comparisons. I own the gen 15500 and 15400s and because I do not own the rep, I refrain from comparison/review threads until and unless I have both in hand.
Having said that, some flaws, like dimensions (thickness, length, width, proportions etc) can be seen from pics if you observe carefully. Color can be a lot trickier as you need both watches under the same lighting and angles.

It is far more credible, like you implied, for comparison/review posts to be done having both or all the objects of comparisons in hand. I like the one which Mech500 did on the blue 15400. Anybody can google, or look at gens through shop windows, or go to an AD to handle one briefly. Anyone.
But to do a proper review, I think that one will at least need both watches in hand for a meaningful period of time, and compare them through live observation rather than subjective memory.
I agree that for "subjective" features like color, sunburst and etc you must have both gen and rep in hand.
However there are facts like thickness, length, misaligned screws, hands base width and etc that are easy to spot without having none of watches in hands.
I will not encourage anyone to start a comparison / review thread without having both gen and rep, but to comment on a thread with facts about sizing, misaligned parts or functions it is reasonable and even welcome IMO.
Most of the members here do not own a gen and they can still contribute to the discussion in these aspects.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I agree that for "subjective" features like color, sunburst and etc you must have both gen and rep in hand.
However there are facts like thickness, length, misaligned screws, hands base width and etc that are easy to spot without having none of watches in hands.
I will not encourage anyone to start a comparison / review thread without having both gen and rep, but to comment on a thread with facts about sizing, misaligned parts or functions it is reasonable and even welcome IMO.
Most of the members here do not own a gen and they can still contribute to the discussion in these aspects.

Yes, this. +1.

This being a rep watch forum, members are in general not expected to own gens. A bonus if they do though.
And like you said, discussions on possible flaws are perfectly reasonable and integral to the knowledge of the community.
I am ONLY against members using only videos and pictures off the internet as the entire basis of their knowledge and then starting threads to "educate" others. Its exactly like someone who has only glimpsed the glory of the Himalayas on youtube and then professing to be an expert and starting to preach about "The Himalaya Experience" from the comfort of his home.

I once had a member challenging me about the color of the gold rotor of the ROO. I had stated that it was 22k yellow gold, and he told me that it was rose gold.

His source: Google pics, subjective visual interpretation
My source: My own watches, 20cm from my eyes.

It is perfectly ok to share and discuss like you mentioned. But it is NOT ok IMHO, to act like the ultimate expert and start spreading the wrong facts and knowledge, after glimpsing the gen watch or handling it for 5minutes in the AD store.There are always guys who know more, and I often have to seek answers myself from guys like QueTip and tosoboso. Nothing wrong with asking if one is not sure, rather than taking the podium and dispensing the wrong information to the community.

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
If you can't see the flaws on the OMF version (which are huge) then buy it :D or just wait for JF or ZF.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
If you can't see the flaws on the OMF version (which are huge) then buy it :D or just wait for JF or ZF.

Why should I buy any of the rep versions? I own the gen lol. You think the JF or ZF will be better? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I mean Chronoss, where did i mention you?

Haha you didn’t mention anyone at all. So I thought you were addressing me.
But ok back on topic, you mentioned the case dimension of the omf is wrong. I will genuinely like to know how so. Do share thanks

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Yes because i was answering directly on to his last post :D Look at the bezel, the case is way bigger then the bezel. The Gen bezel is almost 1:1 with the case.

See here:
AP-Royal-Oak-Selfwinding-41mm.001.jpg

OMF is using the 15400 cases because they didnt sell well.
ap2019080201-01g3jwr.jpg

The 15500 is almost flush with the sides like the 15202, the OMF not there are like the 15400 they just only refined the bezel a little bit.

AP logo:
ap2019080201-04x1j9n.jpg

Gen logo in super highres:
AVW-APRO-15500-2019-1-Front.jpg

You can clearly see the difference also the tasperies are wrong as hell. The OMF version uses the cheapest AP logo ive ever seen, looks more like a low budget 100 dollar rep than a 400 dollar rep.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes because i was answering directly on to his last post :D Look at the bezel, the case is way bigger then the bezel. The Gen bezel is almost 1:1 with the case.

See here:

OMF is using the 15400 cases because they didnt sell well.

The 15500 is almost flush with the sides like the 15202, the OMF not there are like the 15400 they just only refined the bezel a little bit.

AP logo:

You can clearly see the difference also the tasperies are wrong as hell. The OMF version uses the cheapest AP logo ive ever seen, looks more like a low budget 100 dollar rep than a 400 dollar rep.

Yes now that you take time to explain and detail the differences I think you’ve broken it down fairly. And yes that logo is horrible I agree.
So you’re basically saying that the bezel to case proportions are also different in the OMF VS gen?

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I think they used the "right" (in terms of how far the rep can go) size of the bezel but put it on a 15400 case atleast it looks so. The bezel itself looks a little bit different than the old 15400 bezel but could also be a batch thing, maybe they just put the new dial and hands in a 15400 case, iam not sure but iam also not spending 400 dollars to find it out :D

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
I understand what Tigerdragon means. You don't need to eat a pile of cr*p to know it will taste... like crap. :D :D
The logo is indeed very evident from pictures alone. The case back and movement are very different as well. The rest, it's a bit debatable, there are several details which will never be 100% gen-like.
I cannot say much more because I haven't seen many around so far. Everyone has different levels of attention to detail. :)

Chronoss

Horology Curious
27/8/13
I will post a more detailed look once I know more on the OMF15500.

On OM vs J for example, I much prefer the OM when I look at the in depth comparison over at RWG. It has the more vibrant dial, an acceptable lume, a good clasp and overall looks more interesting, wowing and exciting to me when you look at it (mainly because of the more vibrant dial I believe).

all of them are fake, so simply choosing the one that will please you most is the way to go in my opinion. That is how you would decide between gens. We’re talking very high level / quite little differences in visible specs on many models. Nobody (almost nobody at least) will tell based on a bit of a case dimension difference. But if you walk with a less exciting piece you look at daily, that’s what you would regret.

just 50 cents from my side.

Reactions: legend and Rolemars

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
all of them are fake, so simply choosing the one that will please you most is the way to go in my opinion.

This is Most important, doesn't matter if it's Gen or DHgate. Important is you know what you have and enjoy it for what it is.

Reactions: Rolemars

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I will post a more detailed look once I know more on the OMF15500.

On OM vs J for example, I much prefer the OM when I look at the in depth comparison over at RWG. It has the more vibrant dial, an acceptable lume, a good clasp and overall looks more interesting, wowing and exciting to me when you look at it (mainly because of the more vibrant dial I believe).

all of them are fake, so simply choosing the one that will please you most is the way to go in my opinion. That is how you would decide between gens. We’re talking very high level / quite little differences in visible specs on many models. Nobody (almost nobody at least) will tell based on a bit of a case dimension difference. But if you walk with a less exciting piece you look at daily, that’s what you would regret.

just 50 cents from my side.

There is no 15500 Rep from JF, if you mean the 15400 then JF has updated the blue color to a better blue. OMF has the old dial layout, JF has the new one :)

I agree for the other part was just a information that JF updated the color in the last batch.

Last edited:

Chronoss

Horology Curious
27/8/13
I’m talking about a 15500 OMF in the flesh.

On comparison I was referring to 15400 JF / OMF you will find at RWG.

i have heard about this JF dial update but have not seen any actual proof or review of it. Also there is no version update anywhere. unless you have more pointers?

thanks

N0tail_

1/6/17
Reactions: Rolemars and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’m talking about a 15500 OMF in the flesh.

On comparison I was referring to 15400 JF / OMF you will find at RWG.

i have heard about this JF dial update but have not seen any actual proof or review of it. Also there is no version update anywhere. unless you have more pointers?

thanks

I doubt that this point that anyone actually has an OMF 15500 in hand lol. But you can be assured that someone will end up buying it, someone always does no matter how bad the watch is.