• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15500 41mm

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Agreed, grey on 15500 is a no go, silver baton on grey dial... Meh... white would be better, best version remain the blue dial even if the design for this 15500 is "empty" with a dial full of lost space.

And the date virtually disappears on the grey

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Its sort of growing on me but it still looks somewhat unbalanced, I don't understand why AP dropped the white dial in favour of the grey tho, I can't believe that the grey was a better seller than the White and that being the reason.

The 15500 isn't for everyone, usually the negative comments come from people who have never seen it in real life.
I have seen only the grey and black versions in person, and I think both are great. I own both the gen 15400 and 15500, and I have to agree that both wear very differently, with the 15500 being thicker, less elegant, less refined in feel, and more sporty. Strap one on your wrist and don't depend on google pics to make your assessment. I think it will change your mind like it changed mine. Of course, it is not too late to find it ugly and unsuitable for you then lol.
In the same way, I thought the code 11.59 was ugly when it first got released, and I tried one on physically and my opinion remains unchanged. Opinion sealed. My point is that, yes the watch may eventually turn out to be something you dislike. Yet, almost all timepieces need to be perused in person for the details to be appreciated, and of course, there is the proverbial wrist matching/chemistry.
There is no argument that blue is the best looking dial color though. I'll encourage you to go try one on yourself (whatever color you can get your hands on), it will be a game changer for you specifically I think, with you being on the fence and leaning lol.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
The 15500 isn't for everyone, usually the negative comments come from people who have never seen it in real life.
I have seen only the grey and black versions in person, and I think both are great. I own both the gen 15400 and 15500, and I have to agree that both wear very differently, with the 15500 being thicker, less elegant, less refined in feel, and more sporty. Strap one on your wrist and don't depend on google pics to make your assessment. I think it will change your mind like it changed mine. Of course, it is not too late to find it ugly and unsuitable for you then lol.
In the same way, I thought the code 11.59 was ugly when it first got released, and I tried one on physically and my opinion remains unchanged. Opinion sealed. My point is that, yes the watch may eventually turn out to be something you dislike. Yet, almost all timepieces need to be perused in person for the details to be appreciated, and of course, there is the proverbial wrist matching/chemistry.
There is no argument that blue is the best looking dial color though. I'll encourage you to go try one on yourself (whatever color you can get your hands on), it will be a game changer for you specifically I think, with you being on the fence and leaning lol.

Its not not that I find it ugly, but by removing the 3 hour marker and having nothing below the pinion I find it unbalanced, I like a more symmetrical design, but that's just my thing lol. I think your comment "less elegant" probably sums it up for me, because of the bracelet I've always viewed the Royal Oak as not only a watch but a piece of jewellery, something that a more sportier look doesn't suit so well, again just my opinion.

you say that it wear differently from the 15400, I find the 15400 just a bit too big for me not unwearable but like someone whos trousers are a bit too baggy they don't look stupid but could do with the next size down. So does the 15500 wear the same as the 15400 in that respect?

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Its not not that I find it ugly, but by removing the 3 hour marker and having nothing below the pinion I find it unbalanced, I like a more symmetrical design, but that's just my thing lol. I think your comment "less elegant" probably sums it up for me, because of the bracelet I've always viewed the Royal Oak as not only a watch but a piece of jewellery, something that a more sportier look doesn't suit so well, again just my opinion.

you say that it wear differently from the 15400, I find the 15400 just a bit too big for me not unwearable but like someone whos trousers are a bit too baggy they don't look stupid but could do with the next size down. So does the 15500 wear the same as the 15400 in that respect?

Size wise, the 15500 wears the same as the 15400. A little thicker, and due to the dial, shorter markers, hands, date window position etc, it wears a lot sportier. So same size, more sporty, less elegant, more.. beefy.
You say that the 15400 wears a little big on you but it’s a little hard to imagine that as my own wrist is only about 6.9” or 17.5cm (smallish IMHO) and it wears ok.
Admittedly the dial layout isn’t for everyone I concede. But to really decide if you like it, try one on the wrist and check the wrist chemistry. It is a subtly buffier version of the 15400 and instead of being a classic beauty, it is more of a contemporary rebel.
I wear it a lot more than my 15400, as I see a lot more 15400 reps around and I always believe in differentiation. (We all do to some extent, consciously or otherwise)

So go try one on and it is not too late to dislike it then. My wrist and eyes do not get along with the code 11.59 and I know that for a fact after trying on the watch physically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Pdatoon

HWatch

Known Member
19/3/19
Size wise, the 15500 wears the same as the 15400. A little thicker, and due to the dial, shorter markers, hands, date window position etc, it wears a lot sportier. So same size, more sporty, less elegant, more.. beefy.
You say that the 15400 wears a little big on you but it’s a little hard to imagine that as my own wrist is only about 6.9” or 17.5cm (smallish IMHO) and it wears ok.
Admittedly the dial layout isn’t for everyone I concede. But to really decide if you like it, try one on the wrist and check the wrist chemistry. It is a subtly buffier version of the 15400 and instead of being a classic beauty, it is more of a contemporary rebel.
I wear it a lot more than my 15400, as I see a lot more 15400 reps around and I always believe in differentiation. (We all do to some extent, consciously or otherwise)

So go try one on and it is not too late to dislike it then. My wrist and eyes do not get along with the code 11.59 and I know that for a fact after trying on the watch physically.

Really enjoy the way describe the difference in both aspects of the watches. Would really REALLY enjoy a pic comparison in detail between the both :)

Sent from the RWI App

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
Really enjoy the way describe the difference in both aspects of the watches. Would really REALLY enjoy a pic comparison in detail between the both :)

Sent from the RWI App

d7bd80ae2b5c0b5472ac4ede0291ab2e.jpg

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18

Thanks for your insight, I actually like the code 11.59 chronos perhaps I'm a bit wierd lol, it will be a long time if ever they manage to do an acceptable rep of it tho

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for your insight, I actually like the code 11.59 chronos perhaps I'm a bit wierd lol, it will be a long time if ever they manage to do an acceptable rep of it tho

Not weird lol. We each are entitled to our likes and dislikes. Nothing wrong with the code 11.59 except that I cannot live with the look of the dial on my wrist.

Reactions: Allure

Chronoss

Horology Curious
27/8/13
Tigerdragon

i appreciate your answer but we are all missing the substance:

- how is the case wrong?
- how is the tapseries wrong?
- how is the Logo (terribly) wrong?

do you have an OMF 15500 at hand? What makes you say that? Comparing pictures your statements are hard to follow. It would be very informative for everyone and this thread to understand your source of comparison and a bit of detail behind your statements (and on what basis).

thanks a lot!

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
- Case has the wrong dimensions
- tapseries is completly wrong shaped
- Logo looks WAY to thick and looks nothing like the original one.

No i don't have it in hands but i saw videos + photos and that is enough. I don't buy it because i saw the flaws directly.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
- Case has the wrong
- tapseries is completly wrong shaped
- Logo looks WAY to thick and looks nothing like the original one.

No i don't have it in hands but i saw videos + photos and that is enough. I don't buy it because i saw the flaws directly.

+1

Reactions: Tigerdragon

Chronoss

Horology Curious
27/8/13
you see from (probably TD) bad quality images of 640x480 that the Logo is too thick vs gen?

:D I’m sorry but for someone that probably has seen neither a gen nor the rep in question that is quite a statement.

i am really not in the business of flaming anyone, but this is just such a great example of so many things wrong with „reviews“ in this hobby.