• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15400 - White - Franken Project - Complete

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
No issues at all with mentioning flaws, it's great to share information that's what we're all here for right, we all appreciate the finer details, things the average person doesn't care for. But when it comes to someones build that has usually taken 1+ year to complete I personally go about things a different way. I wouldn't tell them their watch is never going to be complete without this rare part they'll never get. For me it's slightly uncalled for, for Legend this is fine and he'll post these things, I was just asking for his thoughts why and maybe if he could see it from a slightly different view.

I understand what you mean about noobs, the forums have been plagued with lazy people asking the same questions looking to be spoon fed and it becomes tiring reading. Thats probably why many of us form WhatsApp groups etc away from the forum to prevent all the irrelevant noise, which is a shame really.

Regarding my comment on it being for sale, ive seen this watch for sale elsewhere, i should've made that more clear apologies..

Well, you and FTW both called me condescending in the same thread, and I do not deny the possibility of coming across as arrogant, supercilious and condescending, but trust me, I do not think myself better than any one of you. What I focus on is just the watch build. I know my APs, and I see the flaws when most others see the glamour. So pardon me if I do not jump on the bandwagon and start dishing compliments which are not heartfelt.

The time taken to build a franken is irrelevant to my comment. What I see in this case is a watch which needs gen hands to complete it, and I call it as it is. And whoever said gen hands are impossible to get, are just not looking in the right direction. It does take time and patience, but it is not impossible. Calling a glass of water 10% empty is the same as calling it 90% full. Which of you can stand out and say that this will be a build which is 1:1 like gen with no flaws? If it isn't, then there are two types of owners: one which will sit and sulk, and one which will strive to complete the build. I see nothing wrong in calling the shortfalls vs the stuff which are done right. Owners will feel good, but learn nothing from compliments. If I can see a flaw in these builds, someday, someone else will. Does that make him an asshole as well? If so, I am happy to be one. Labels are not important to me.

QueTip, if there is a rule against posts pointing out flaws on frankens, then please tell me and I will back off. Otherwise, I do not think that anyone should take abuse for posting their opinions, as long as there are no offensive words in them, and that they are objectively true.

Members here routinely call out flaws on production reps, and modded reps here. Should they then stop because it is more than 1 year in the making? What makes it ok to collectively bash a newly released rep, and yet adopt a different standard when it is a franken? Isn't the point of a franken, to make a rep appear and feel more like a genuine? So if the objective falls short one way or another, why shouldn't it be pointed out? The same standard should apply across every watch posted here. So what if a man takes 10 years to build a bridge and still get it wrong? His dedication should be commended, and the flaws in the bridge should be pointed out. And this was exactly what I did.
You and FTW can continue calling me whatever name you fancy. It will not affect me, and I will still continue to call it like I see it. You are likewise entitled to your opinion, but understand that I will not stop just because you do not like it. A franken is a franken, and if the owner wishes to share it here, he should take in both the good and the bad. I will not be bullied into shutting up. Feel free to use the "ignore" function on my posts if you do not like them.

This is a watch forum, and I am here to discuss watches. How much money I have (or do not have) is irrelevant, as does the wealth and ability of any member here. If my post is out of place, a moderator will correct or chastise me, fear not. Like I said, feel free to report my posts if you are offended by them. Otherwise feel free to ignore them. It makes no difference to me, I will continue to call it as I see it. ;)

N0tail_

1/6/17
Legend would be the last person here to shame someone for their build. He's also one of a few number of members that is actually capable of building a franken 15400. Given that Legend owns a gen 15400 and is an extremely talented modder, it's completely reasonable for him to point out something like the hands being a flaw when you're so used to what gen parts look like.

Also, when did people get so fragile?

blackboxes

Advisor/Supporter
Advisor
31/5/15
That's a lot to read... anyways for everyone, I think there's a fair bit of heated discussing here, but there's nothing wrong in calling a spoon a spoon, and a franken a franken. Lets try to keep things civil as much as we can agree to disagree.

I'll tell most people whom I meet in person what builds I am wearing, and flaws if any, simply because we are watch people. We like watches. A franken is a fake watch, but tell it to the right gen guy about your watch building journey, and they'll probably respect you for it...

And more importantly, good catch QueTip! Someone's gonna get kicked out soon.

Yuma

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/7/18
Amazing comments. This community hasn’t changed much. Well I thought I had some helpful photos to share for anyone interested in a franken AP 15400 with a white dial. If that’s you, glad it helped. I have nothing more to say nor do I want to get tangled up in this silly drama.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Amazing comments. This community hasn’t changed much. Well I thought I had some helpful photos to share for anyone interested in a franken AP 15400 with a white dial. If that’s you, glad it helped. I have nothing more to say nor do I want to get tangled up in this silly drama.

Not like it was the first basic 15400 Franken ;)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Legend would be the last person here to shame someone for their build. He's also one of a few number of members that is actually capable of building a franken 15400. Given that Legend owns a gen 15400 and is an extremely talented modder, it's completely reasonable for him to point out something like the hands being a flaw when you're so used to what gen parts look like.

Also, when did people get so fragile?

Thank you B for seeing the intention behind my post. Yes the first thing I noticed when looking at the pic was that the hands are a tell and it’s hard to miss something smack dead center in the dial.
I can understand why franken owners get annoyed at my posts, because of the money, time and effort spent and still ending up with something imperfect. But yet they forget that I had spent more time and money ($90-100k including parts bought but never used) than most of them in the franken game and chose to leave it after realizing that an acceptable franken for me will be disproportionately expensive compared with the gen. I think I’m qualified enough to say how frankens look and feel, compared with the gen, both off and on the wrist. 99% of AP frankens I’ve seen, including most of the ones I used to own, are like their namesake, bastardized parts assembled together and they resemble AP watches to varying degrees. Nice watches on their own, but nothing like the gen.
I have nothing against frankens owned by others personally. Everyone has their own choice. But equally, I see nothing wrong at all in pointing out the shortcomings of any build I see. Why show a watch if one cannot take both the compliments and critisms?
Not everyone belongs to the same herd and I simply cannot look upon some of the frankens posted and find it in my heart to compliment them. That would have been hypocritical, not to mention instilling a false sense of complacency in the owner, who may one day be called out by others in real life for inadvertently showing a tell of his beloved franken to the wrong person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
legend why when anyone posts a franken build such as Beasy franken etc do you have to point out the floors? Let people enjoy their watches no need to put them down saying things like ‘you need gen hands to complete the build’ these parts are unobtainable for the masses and the OP knows it. Just let him enjoy his watch he’s put so much effort into without the thought it’s incomplete without such parts...

OP is a scammer.

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
OP is a scammer.

Yep, how stupid to post the same pictures. Tuckers renaming of Spazmo is very apt. I didn’t realise he was banned here otherwise I would’ve alerted mods.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Yep, how stupid to post the same pictures. Tuckers renaming of Spazmo is very apt. I didn’t realise he was banned here otherwise I would’ve alerted mods.

All good. You did good by mentioning him selling it, made me question it and my gut was right. I have indeed seen the pics before on RG posted by Spazmo

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
What's the story? He's listed several watches on RG over the last few months.

He doxxed potential buyers and others and posted their info IIRC and more shit, look up his original username via the search function, you’ll find dozens of posts, also an official one from the boss.

Reactions: theREALgoat

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Franken is a franken. No one is claiming it's Gen.

Like FTW said some people just going to their threshold of desire and affordability.

Some people can actually afford the gens but choose the thrill of the build.

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Almost, it’ll never be gen.

when i send you your freshly baked franken I’ll attach a list of all it’s flaws. You’re welcome.

Reactions: MrBeasy and Garuda

Champsy

15/4/18
UK
Damn guys, green eyed monster coming out in some of you.

I for one appreciate what legend usually comments that’s why I follow him, educational!
I have 2 gen AP and before he pointed out the hand tell I couldn’t spot it myself with gen and rep in front of me along with many others I know, so potentially leaving myself open to purchase a franken instead of a gen in the future.

I have also never met a more humble billionaire in my life and feel extremely lucky to call him a friend now.

#alwayslearning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sogeha

Known Member
18/7/15
A & A , I deeply respect your knowledge and know you both to be incredibly helpful to anyone who isn’t a total asshat. I am proud to know you and count you as friends.
Much more going on away from the boards. True dat, sad in a way, but true

N0tail_

1/6/17
Champsy Wow I would have never thought you were a member on RWI. You're one of the few watch related people I follow on Insta :inlove: