• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15400 - White - Franken Project - Complete

Yuma

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/7/18
Completed by AP 15400 franken project the other day. Here is a breakdown followed by some photos & videos.

- JFv3 base
- Gen dial
- Mikey DW
- Serviced, pressure tested, and rotor silenced by Mike (WatchServicesNY)

Total investment: $1850

Completed (4K video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHq56dV738

Gen & Rep Dial Side-by-Side (4K video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvL0tAUtZg

Photos:

sidebyside.png

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_1210.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

Last edited:

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Nice Watch. Congrats and enjoy your Watch!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Completed by AP 15400 franken project the other day. Here is a breakdown followed by some photos & videos.

- JFv3 base
- Gen dial
- Mikey DW
- Serviced, pressure tested, and rotor silenced by Mike (WatchServicesNY)

Total investment: $1850]

Nothing better than a gen white 15400 dial!

How come you're selling it already??

Yuma

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/7/18
red1 have no desire to really sell it but I did put it on the market to gauge buyer interested for exactly what I paid for it. Right now I wear it every now and then. I also own a couple gen Rolexs and they tend to get most of the wrist time. When you own a gen you tend to wear those more. :). As far as the AP15400 is concerned I have to say white is the best looking dial. I also had a franken build with a gen black dial which looked pretty boring compared to the white one so I sold it.

Reactions: Digital.

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
legend why when anyone posts a franken build such as Beasy franken etc do you have to point out the floors? Let people enjoy their watches no need to put them down saying things like ‘you need gen hands to complete the build’ these parts are unobtainable for the masses and the OP knows it. Just let him enjoy his watch he’s put so much effort into without the thought it’s incomplete without such parts...

sniffti

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/12/17
Elegant watch and nice build, wear it in health!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend why when anyone posts a franken build such as Beasy franken etc do you have to point out the floors? Let people enjoy their watches no need to put them down saying things like ‘you need gen hands to complete the build’ these parts are unobtainable for the masses and the OP knows it. Just let him enjoy his watch he’s put so much effort into without the thought it’s incomplete without such parts...

First of all, its "flaws".
Second, to answer your question, this is a forum for discussion. I do not see it as putting down anyone's build. Read my answer in full context and you will see what I wrote in full. We point out flaws in stock reps, modded reps, so what makes frankens any different? Are you implying that frankens are perfect and should be worshipped with awe each time someone posts them? Nothing but "wow!" and "gorgeous"? This is a forum for learning. I see what I see, and I am entitled to my opinion, just like you are. To you, perhaps you see the beauty of each franken and think they are perfect. To me, I appreciate the effort and dedication more than the final product itself.
There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws. It is just that most people do it for stock reps, and I do it for frankens. Difference in knowledge and expectation, that's all. And the bottomline is, I merely pointed out the facts. You can and should still enjoy the watch, regardless of the opinions of others.
You can report my post if you find it offensive.

QueTip

Porscheguy21

31/8/18
legend I can find dials but where do you look for gen hands if you don't mind me asking. :drinks_cheers:

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14

Legend is just pointing out the facts. I have a "superfranken" 15400 with a thinned caseback, a gen movement, and a gen dial, but the rep hands leave something to be desired. Same goes for this build, Mikey's datewheel is better than the stock v3 JF, but it's still not accurate. That said, It's better to be satisfied with these light franken builds, as long as you're not cutting the dial's feet (doing so destroys the resale value), and not spending too much money.

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Legend is just pointing out the facts. I have a "superfranken" 15400 with a thinned caseback, a gen movement, and a gen dial, but the rep hands leave something to be desired. Same goes for this build, Mikey's datewheel is better than the stock v3 JF, but it's still not accurate. That said, It's better to be satisfied with these light franken builds, as long as you're not cutting the dial's feet (doing so destroys the resale value), and not spending too much money.

comes across to me and other members I’ve spoke to as very condescending just like pointing out a spelling mistake. He’s perfectly entitled to his opinion just seems very unnecessary to say, he’s not pointing out things people don’t know. There’s only one person with gen hands on a 15400 franken and probably only Todd and Que who can source them otherwise..

thats a great build you have, it’s hard enough sourcing a gen white dial at the moment without paying a ridiculous inflated price.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Thank you R.
The purpose of building any franken at all is to make it more accurate to gen. So that’s why members swap out rep parts for gen ones, to make it at least visually closer to its gen counterparts.
So my comment about this build needing gen hands is with regard to the visual aspect. The hands are a tell. I did not comment on the crystal, bezel, midcase or even movement because those aren’t tells on the wrist visually. But the hands are tells.
I did not disparage the build in any way, but merely pointing out where the visual shortfall is.
I pointed out the same regarding therealgoat’s franken, which is of a much higher spec, and he understood the way I meant it. I’m also helping him to source for the gen hands he needs.
If a member shares his build here, he must be prepared for both compliments and also critisms. The critiques are here are never going to be popular but they can breed improvements. Not everyone is going to be wowed each time a franken is posted. The efforts are always commendable for each build.
But frankens aren’t gen, and can never be. But they can be visually accurate and visual accuracy is what I base my comments on for this build. Flaws exist for stock reps, modded reps and frankens. Why should frankens be exempt from critism if you see similar comments on factory reps and modded reps all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FTW

25/9/18
Why should frankens be exempt from critism

Because all you do is go on threads and keep saying Frankens will never be Gen and you sold all your frankens and only have gens now. So if you don't have any reps and frankens any more, what are you doing on a rep forum?
Criticism is one thing, but them you follow it up with your, I can sport a $100,000 watch look at it. No one cares how much money you have and of you have a half million in watches- This is a rep forum. Not everyone has the money you have, but flaunting it and shoving it in people's face make you look like ever other rich asshole that does that. Did you possibly think that maybe these guys that are building these frankens are doing the best they can with the means they have? Maybe they love watches and they don't have the money for the $100,000 gen. And I know some of them do have the money to buy those gens, nit some don't. So saying look at me here is my Gen, not v1 or v2.
And then pointing out someone's accidental spelling error is even more pompous. They are not here writing a paper for the NY Times, they don't need you to correct them. A lot of people on here English is there second, third or even forth language.
If Gen is Gen and these frankens are so bad, go to TRF (yes I am sure you are on there already) but then you will not have to comment and insult people because everyone one there has plenty of Gens and I am sure some have more money than you and better Gens.
Stop trying to be the big fish in a little pond, no one cares but you- This is a rep pond!
And whatever long reply you have to my post- I don't care. Fact is you have been posting non stop on how Gen is Gen and a Franken will never be Gen, people are tired of hearing it. Stop insulting everyone that doesn't have the money you do. I can tell you- I don't have the money you do - I can't afford a $100,000 watch. That is why I am not on TRF posting pictures of $100,000 watches, if I could afford them, I would be there not here. But I can afford a few gens that are only 10k to 15k and a few Frankens that were 4k and some modded reps. And you know what, I am no better than the guy one here that had to save up to buy a $400 rep because he was putting food on the table for his family. Most of us are here because this is our hobby, not to bash other people's efforts to do the best they can with what they have.
How do you think someone feels when they saved up, sourced parts that were hard for them to find, them waited for one of the talented modders on here to work tjeir magic, it finally comes all together and they are proud to post pictures of it; then you come along. Look at all the flaws, it will never be Gen, bla bla, bla. Not really a nice thing to do.
And for whoever replies on my comments, saying he is just pointing out flaws like everyone else does on the reps- it is not the same thing by any stretch of immigration. Saying it will never be gen and them posting pictures of his gens says not v1 or v2 is condescending.
They are plenty of people on here they have constructive criticism- he is not one of them!

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
!remindme 3hours

you better get your sweaters out, it’s gonna get windy

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Because all you do is go on threads and keep saying Frankens will never be Gen and you sold all your frankens and only have gens now. So if you don't have any reps and frankens any more, what are you doing on a rep forum?
Criticism is one thing, but them you follow it up with your, I can sport a $100,000 watch look at it. No one cares how much money you have and of you have a half million in watches- This is a rep forum. Not everyone has the money you have, but flaunting it and shoving it in people's face make you look like ever other rich asshole that does that. Did you possibly think that maybe these guys that are building these frankens are doing the best they can with the means they have? Maybe they love watches and they don't have the money for the $100,000 gen. And I know some of them do have the money to buy those gens, nit some don't. So saying look at me here is my Gen, not v1 or v2.
And then pointing out someone's accidental spelling error is even more pompous. They are not here writing a paper for the NY Times, they don't need you to correct them. A lot of people on here English is there second, third or even forth language.
If Gen is Gen and these frankens are so bad, go to TRF (yes I am sure you are on there already) but then you will not have to comment and insult people because everyone one there has plenty of Gens and I am sure some have more money than you and better Gens.
Stop trying to be the big fish in a little pond, no one cares but you- This is a rep pond!
And whatever long reply you have to my post- I don't care. Fact is you have been posting non stop on how Gen is Gen and a Franken will never be Gen, people are tired of hearing it. Stop insulting everyone that doesn't have the money you do. I can tell you- I don't have the money you do - I can't afford a $100,000 watch. That is why I am not on TRF posting pictures of $100,000 watches, if I could afford them, I would be there not here. But I can afford a few gens that are only 10k to 15k and a few Frankens that were 4k and some modded reps. And you know what, I am no better than the guy one here that had to save up to buy a $400 rep because he was putting food on the table for his family. Most of us are here because this is our hobby, not to bash other people's efforts to do the best they can with what they have.
How do you think someone feels when they saved up, sourced parts that were hard for them to find, them waited for one of the talented modders on here to work tjeir magic, it finally comes all together and they are proud to post pictures of it; then you come along. Look at all the flaws, it will never be Gen, bla bla, bla. Not really a nice thing to do.
And for whoever replies on my comments, saying he is just pointing out flaws like everyone else does on the reps- it is not the same thing by any stretch of immigration. Saying it will never be gen and them posting pictures of his gens says not v1 or v2 is condescending.
They are plenty of people on here they have constructive criticism- he is not one of them!

Thank you for your opinion and like I said, everyone is entitled to theirs, and you are no exception. Like you, I post as I please and you are free to respond to it anyway you please or ignore it. It does not make a difference to me either way. I am not here to win any popularity contests.

Yes I am on the gen forums, not only TRF, and no, I do not view them as bigger ponds, merely different playgrounds.
What I see as an insult is very different from what you see as an insult, and that cannot be helped. I also cannot help seeing the flaws I do, and where others see a watch to drool over, I see how it can be completed. Different points of views. But I will not lower myself to name-calling, it is easy to do so and meaningless as well. I will just stick to objectivity and repeat: A franken will never be a gen. And I stick by what I say. The only ones who will be offendedby this will be the ones pretending so, and if that is the case, the issue will be their mentality, not my stating of a basic fact.

I can't help if you find me condescending, and I actually had a good laugh reading that description of me. You don't know me, and we probably hang out in very different circles. But yes, you are fully entitled to whatever opinion you have, it does not affect or bother me an iota. Thanks for your time!

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
red1 have no desire to really sell it but I did put it on the market to gauge buyer interested for exactly what I paid for it.

Well, for starters, I surely hope you didn’t offer it via RWI’s PM system, also not by putting up a FS ad, as you obviously do not meet the selling necessities. That would be considered backdoor selling without a proper sale thread or wtb.

Let me ask this again, what’s so wrong with mentioning flaws here and there? Like legend has said, it’s happening on NUMEROUS posts of reps, new releases etc. What makes it so wrong to do so on a franken piece? Rather be happy to have someone as knowledgable as legend still have the nerve to go on here and educate people about flaws and help them out in various ways. I for one can not even be f’ed anymore because I got so much better stuff to do than help people here and there just to be discredited by people on the other hand for pointing out flaws and being an ‘asshole’. Been there, done that. I don’t need anything from most people on here that would need my help, they do. Same rules apply to legend. He has forgotten more about AP than most people even know about it.

So first of all, WHO TF ARE YOU to ask ANYONE what they are even doing on here? Additional to that, you seem to care a lot about how much money someone has in watches as that seems to be all you talk about in that whole paragraph. Ironic, don’t ya think?

The ‘Not JF’ addition is simply a joke between several people on here that have called legends watches the v4s, he’s just clearing up the confusion for noobs that kept on asking him where he bought such a sweet JF and where they could get the v4. But that is no need to be explained either, do some reading or use common sense and you might understand it, if you have the humour for it. If not, well, guess what, that’s unlucky.

Hurting feelings of other is no ones goal on here although I am sure that I know one person that will be a tad butthurt in a bit too. It’s always been like that and always will be, you wanna survive on RWI? Have a thick skin, if you don’t have it grow it, if you can’t better move along. Take a trip to the brig and you’ll find yourself amazed by the amount of people that have been thrown there because they expected anyone on here to be super nice to them because this and that and titties. It’s not, handle it or move it.
It was stating facts. Consider yourself lucky, I don’t comment on the flaws because as you seem to care so much, you wouldn’t wear any of your watches anymore. :lol:

How is it condescending if it’s a FACT?! Any franken of that nation will always remain that- a FRANKEN made up and built together with both fake and genuine parts, some more of the gen, most less of the gen parts. And that, as I have said, is a fact, don’t you think?

I can assure you, there are not plenty of people on here that have an eye like he does. Most of them have moved on and left the forums for good because of people bitching about them like you do here.

Literally the best people from this hobby, the ones that have really MADE this hobby what it is today are no longer on here because of this. Because people get butthurt and start to argue when they try to educate others by pointing out a flaw in their own way respectively but still.

Father of ALL franken Offshores, and a very good and close friend of mine, is gone from the forum for that, you want me to go on? I’ve had a long hiatus from here myself before I came back to become staff and the same applies to legend. I could go on and name you lots of OGs from here and other boards that have left because of the evolution of this hobby. Most are keeping it private with friends that they have made in the time they’ve actively been doing it and it is sad to see. It makes all of it exclusive instead of having one big bunch of people being able to talk about the stuff everyone is up to like it used to be.

Most of the frankens and builds you see on here are nothing compared to what other people that are not sharing their stuff on here or the boards in general are pumping out, believe me.

Anything else?

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Well, for starters, I surely hope you didn’t offer it via RWI’s PM system, also not by putting up a FS ad, as you obviously do not meet the selling necessities. That would be considered backdoor selling without a proper sale thread or wtb.

Let me ask this again, what’s so wrong with mentioning flaws here and there? Like legend has said, it’s happening on NUMEROUS posts of reps, new releases etc. What makes it so wrong to do so on a franken piece? Rather be happy to have someone as knowledgable as legend still have the nerve to go on here and educate people about flaws and help them out in various ways. I for one can not even be f’ed anymore because I got so much better stuff to do than help people here and there just to be discredited by people on the other hand for pointing out flaws and being an ‘asshole’. Been there, done that. I don’t need anything from most people on here that would need my help, they do. Same rules apply to legend. He has forgotten more about AP than most people even know about it.

?

No issues at all with mentioning flaws, it's great to share information that's what we're all here for right, we all appreciate the finer details, things the average person doesn't care for. But when it comes to someones build that has usually taken 1+ year to complete I personally go about things a different way. I wouldn't tell them their watch is never going to be complete without this rare part they'll never get. For me it's slightly uncalled for, for Legend this is fine and he'll post these things, I was just asking for his thoughts why and maybe if he could see it from a slightly different view.

I understand what you mean about noobs, the forums have been plagued with lazy people asking the same questions looking to be spoon fed and it becomes tiring reading. Thats probably why many of us form WhatsApp groups etc away from the forum to prevent all the irrelevant noise, which is a shame really.

Regarding my comment on it being for sale, ive seen this watch for sale elsewhere, i should've made that more clear apologies..