• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JF 15400 v4 is here

MorsMars

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/8/13
I was hoping they fixed the valley around the "AUDEMARS PIGUET" textbox blue dial, it is fixed in the black version for V3, literallly just using old blue dial stock.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Compared to V3, the latest V4 appears to have correct thinner hands, updated DW and revised dial. The latest v3 batches (from 4 weeks ago) also have these modifications. The V4 revised dial is probably just a change of supplier. I don’t know if the V4 Dial is an improvement (it’s certainly not a backwards step IMO)

V4:
e0a2c15088556fe3ead3ca4169f43f2c.jpg

The brushing is nice. The new date font makes the watch all the better IMO I missed out on it with my v3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I was hoping they fixed the valley around the "AUDEMARS PIGUET" textbox blue dial, it is fixed in the black version for V3, literallly just using old blue dial stock.
That's still present on black aswell it's only harder to see because of the black color

MorsMars

18/8/13
That's still present on black aswell it's only harder to see because of the black color

Are you sure? I thought the black V3 textbox was slightly raised above the tapisserie squares and no valley between the textbox edge and tapisserie square edge. I have a photo with a comparison of the two I can upload later.

MorsMars

18/8/13
Look at the videos from kswatches you can see it.

So this is what I mean, there is a valley in the blue version that is much more pronounced on the top of the letterbox and corner for the blue version.
If I recall correctly, this was an issue with the V2J version of the dials across the board. The V2 had text not filling in the letterbox completely (I believe you mentioned it was similar to gen 2015 version, thank you). The V3 black was released first and corrected this tell with no V3 blue version available yet. I cannot find the V2J anymore on intime so I assume they just renamed the V2J blue dial to the V3 for consistency.

The black V3 does not have the valley and has the textbox sit above the tapisserie squares, this is most evident in the corner that is circled. It seems the blue V4 has still not fixed this.

I own a V2J Blue and I bought a V3 black for a buddy of mine and I scrutinized them under a jewelers loupe when I had them both in my hands.

If this valley is part of an older version of the gen I apologize, i haven't seen it.

Open image in new tab to zoom if needed.

ap-valley.png

Here are the links for the watches used in the picture:
Black V3: https://www.intime03.co/audemars-pig...let-a3120.html
Blue V3 (unchanged from V2J) : https://www.intime03.co/audemars-pig...rap-a3120.html
Blue V4: https://www.intime03.co/audemars-pig...let-a3120.html

Last edited:
Reactions: androme

AsimoV

Looking Around
4/12/18
Hello !

I am lurking for a long time as I plan to start my rep game with the 15400. After checking many forum posts, it seems that the JF factory produce the best 15400 rep and I had good hope when I saw the V4. After your expert review it seems that the V4 still have flaws but I cannot really tell if they are major flaws or AP experts flaws.

As far as I understand here is the pro and cons of the V4.

Pros:
- Date Wheel
- Brushing
- Thickness
- Bracelet
- Thinner Hands
- Tapisserie
- Calendar font

cons:
- Printing (global ?)
- Misaligned 6 / 12 ? (specific batch flaw or general flaw?)

Did I miss something? If I went ahead, what should I especially check in QC? I don't really understand what is inherent of the production and what could be a unique flaw that could be avoid by QC?

Thanks!

Reactions: BlackJaguar

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
@MorsMars
no the valley part is part of v2j, v3 and v4 they didn't change it it's not gen like my original V2 don't have that.

you mean the valley around the writing box right?

I find the brushing of the new ones way to overbrushed actually.

MorsMars

18/8/13
@MorsMars
no the valley part is part of v2j, v3 and v4 they didn't change it it's not gen like my original V2 don't have that.

you mean the valley around the writing box right?

I find the brushing of the new ones way to overbrushed actually.

I don't understand. Do you have photos? Because in the V3 black picture I provided, it does not show the valley between the edge of the textbox and the tapisserie squares.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
It does look above the audemars piguet writing, yes its not on the edge but its directly over the writing.

MorsMars

18/8/13
It does look above the audemars piguet writing, yes its not on the edge but its directly over the writing.

That's just a bad angle and the shadow makes it look like there's a valley above the textbox. The top of the textbox is the same as the corner, if you have the watch in hand and you use a jewelers loupe you can see that the tapisserie square touches the textbox but the textbox is a little taller.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I saw black V3 with the same issue good be a batch thing. Go in the V3 thread there are almost every model with that valley.

Edit: Did you check your link? :D
ap2017103101-05.jpg

also present there.

MorsMars

18/8/13
I saw black V3 with the same issue good be a batch thing. Go in the V3 thread there are almost every model with that valley.

Edit: Did you check your link? :D
also present there.

I think what you're seeing is just the tapisserie waves ending on the textbox which is higher than the tapisserie square giving the illusion of a valley. I am fairly certain that it is the same as what we see on the corner. If there is a valley, it is way thinner than the V2J blue or V4s and it seems that way across the board. Are you able to find a V3 black with a definite valley like the V2Js or V4s?

I will try to get a hold of my friends V3 black and take some pictures with a loupe.

edit: I found a nice picture of the V3 black dial head on from another forum. This ones got good lighting and you can see that there is no valley or channel on the corners on top of the textbox. Because the textbox sits higher, in some lighting it can look like there is a channel. But the channel that you can see in the V2j or V4 is very pronounced and encircles the top 3 sides of the box.

41364721114_1fd01d4821_b.jpg

Last edited:

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Trying out a blue dial as I have black.

it arrived last night, in my qc I though think it was a v4 but now I think maybe v3 with upgrades

Sorry about the pic it’s the only one I took last night before bed

I’ll take more tonight.

bc7c3445765cdbae12e61c7503c449e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I think what you're seeing is just the tapisserie waves ending on the textbox which is higher than the tapisserie square giving the illusion of a valley. I am fairly certain that it is the same as what we see on the corner. If there is a valley, it is way thinner than the V2J blue or V4s and it seems that way across the board. Are you able to find a V3 black with a definite valley like the V2Js or V4s?

I will try to get a hold of my friends V3 black and take some pictures with a loupe.

edit: I found a nice picture of the V3 black dial head on from another forum. This ones got good lighting and you can see that there is no valley or channel on the corners on top of the textbox. Because the textbox sits higher, in some lighting it can look like there is a channel. But the channel that you can see in the V2j or V4 is very pronounced and encircles the top 3 sides of the box.

41364721114_1fd01d4821_b.jpg
Trust me look at the v3 thread there are plenty of black models with the issue.

The v3 and v4 dial are completely the same they only changed the printing and the dw. Same with blue and white and grey.

I saw hundreds of QC pics you can believe me on that. It's also a batch thing some look worse than others. They "burn" in the stamp that's why you have the valley.

Edit: it's also present on your picture in the middle. It's just harder to spot on black.