• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

In Depth Review - AP ROO Diver JF "v9.5"

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
Is it possible to swap the inner dive bezel ring for a gen?

i think a modder can do that. It is just a rare part to source. Have been trying myself for weeks.... without luck

Last edited:

MKTimer

Known Member
10/12/17
Gen model on my wrist
The fixation with a ghost outline on the inner bezel numerals is just that - fixation with a ghost. All this crap from so-called experts who probably have never even been within seeing distance of a gen AP calling out 99.99% replicas as not worth buying and would rather wait for v100 is really rather annoying. Most high end gen owners (also called one Rolex owners) don't know what an AP is, leave alone call out the inner bezel from across the room. The bigger tell is the dude getting out of a delivery truck wearing an AP as someone previously said.

Bump this. Well said!

So many idiots trying to act like they are of “superior knowledge” - cu*ts. Go get a life and stop being so pretentious.

JF has made an amazing product that is as good as a $450 rep will get. If you want the 0.0001% that no one will see than go drop $16k on a genuine sample - there are loads available.

This is our hobby and we do it for the appreciation that a maker in China can get THAT close to the gen. Its a sub-culture in it’s own right and I LOVE IT. Just like I ADMIRE and LOVE my v9.5 (only change is the strap for a Hornback and sourced a gem rubber one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Bump this. Well said!

This is our hobby and we do it for the appreciation that a maker in China can get THAT close to the gen. Its a sub-culture in it’s own right and I LOVE IT. Just like I ADMIRE and LOVE my v9.5 (only change is the strap for a Hornback and sourced a gem rubber one).

Why did you get gen rubber then? why don’t you just admire the stock rep?

What’s wrong with wanting a crisp gen spec tachy to admire on our wrists? On a perfect cyclops or whatever?

It’s our hobby, we want our watches to look and feel the way we want so we can admire and enjoy them. Nothing wrong with that.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
i think a modder can do that. It is just a race part to source. Have been trying myself for weeks.... without luck

Yes you’re right. It’s been done many a times. This is an example I did.
0522ee367606cbd4ec869c683b5ddd4c.jpg

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Bump this. Well said!

So many idiots trying to act like they are of “superior knowledge” - cu*ts. Go get a life and stop being so pretentious.

JF has made an amazing product that is as good as a $450 rep will get. If you want the 0.0001% that no one will see than go drop $16k on a genuine sample - there are loads available.

Why did you buy a gen rubber then you? Don’t talk about the superior knowledge cunts if you can’t count yourself to them. That’s a privilege only a selected few can. By the way you’re articulating, typing and arguing you have no special fire in you for the higher thing in this which you won’t understand anyway, so save that shit.

If YOU‘RE happy with your $450 rep so be it. Enjoy it. We 'superior knowledge cunts' do not and share our views on the forum because that’s what a forum is for. Pointing out flaws and possibly helping others that haven’t seen but yet still want to be educated on their own or maybe just the watch they thought of getting.

Any problem with that? You know where the door is. Anything else???

simab mk

Certified
7/12/18
Yes you’re right. It’s been done many a times. This is an example I did.
0522ee367606cbd4ec869c683b5ddd4c.jpg

That's a cool stuff bro, Great job. What all mods have been done on on this watch other than the gen dive bezel.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
^inner bezel looks great. Anyone that thinks the rep bezel looks like that and is “NWBIG” is in denial

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

And blessed in a warped way. These are the guys who spend $400 and wish to remain blissfully and stubbornly unaware of flaws in their watch, and get offended whenever someone posts a fact which shatters their illusions. These are the guys who want to live in the daydream that their rep watch is 101% like the gen straight out of the box, and this is the epitome of pretentiousness, vs the mainstream members who purchase a replica, acknowledge the flaws, and either accept them or put in effort to make them better, and share such efforts with the community.
To me, knowledge is knowledge and you either know or you do not. I appreciate the guys sharing legit and valuable knowledge with the rest of us in this community.
Thank you to guys like QueTip, slaughterer62, tosoboso, mech500, theREALgoat who help post their knowledge unselfishly here for the rest of us.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I am keeping away from this AP sub-forum. It has gotten too toxic when sharing information has bad effects in so many directions. I will only post in my own section at RWI from time to time. I like to work on watches: the topics here in this forum do not help me in that way very much. I get more out of forums like "Watch Repair Talk" at this point. People like Domi and VAC do not post much. Neither does slaughterer62 anymore.

Last edited:

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I second what the gentleman before me said. The AP subforum used to be a fun place where people in the know would share project experiences, discuss builds and the like. To me it's never been a "rep" place, I couldn't care less about that, as any TD's site would be a great alternative if that was all that interested me. On the contrary, I always liked the fact that many members were here not because they lacked the cash to go and show off their acquisitions on forums such as trf and the like, but instead were truly interested in the hobby as a forum to forge friendships and build and share knowledge.

I personally have burnt enough cash on AP spares to buy a few gens. I do and have done that as a hobbyist and as someone who's genuinely interested in studying the craftsmanship, the geometry, the finishes in a way which is not possible if you simply buy a ready gen timepiece. And have always taken time to share my explorations in one way or another. And indeed there were times when people actually appreciated efforts such as that (not that I ever sought or expected any form of gratitude) and were not calling us names. So yes, indeed, this place has turned dark so I might reconsider how much time and knowledge I actually invest here.

Oh, well, but because I'm a schooled scientist and I like the empirics of it all, below I'm offering a few photos of various diver parts (from my rwi archives) for our esteemed fellow memberMKTimer to study and then judge the qualities of any given rep or engage in verbally abusing valued members such as QueTip and legend. Having the grand total of 20 something post doesn't help much when you abuse people. I truly try to be friendly with people but such attitudes are not to be tolerated here. Dark place indeed

Gen dial
VRe7S3.jpg

Gen dial's lume
VReL32.jpg

Gen dial's rehaut
VReY68.jpg

Gen dial set
VRet9d.jpg

Gen datewheel and 3120
VReqCb.jpg

Quite like the v9.5 indeed or not?

PETROLHE4D

Known Member
21/1/19
Not a super rep now to me the V9.5. But still one of the Best in the market. Thanks for the info!

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Sadly the balance has tipped from the hobbyist prepared to try and make risky adjustments to parts to get that few percentage points closer to gen, to a higher concentration of people who expect and see perfection out of the box. Guys like Edge, Legend, Slaughterer and Mech's work and reputation are forgotten.

I stick to the blue RWG these days for sensible conversation, good as this place is it feels more like reddit every day

Zofz013

Horology Curious
14/3/19
I just stumbled upon this thread... and my eyes... my eyes cannot unsee what Ive seen! My ap diver v9.5 is far far far away from gen!

now I want a gen!

thanks for posting the series of gen parts tosoboso ! Appreciate!

lenart98

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/9/17
I second what the gentleman before me said. The AP subforum used to be a fun place where people in the know would share project experiences, discuss builds and the like. To me it's never been a "rep" place, I couldn't care less about that, as any TD's site would be a great alternative if that was all that interested me. On the contrary, I always liked the fact that many members were here not because they lacked the cash to go and show off their acquisitions on forums such as trf and the like, but instead were truly interested in the hobby as a forum to forge friendships and build and share knowledge.

I personally have burnt enough cash on AP spares to buy a few gens. I do and have done that as a hobbyist and as someone who's genuinely interested in studying the craftsmanship, the geometry, the finishes in a way which is not possible if you simply buy a ready gen timepiece. And have always taken time to share my explorations in one way or another. And indeed there were times when people actually appreciated efforts such as that (not that I ever sought or expected any form of gratitude) and were not calling us names. So yes, indeed, this place has turned dark so I might reconsider how much time and knowledge I actually invest here.

Oh, well, but because I'm a schooled scientist and I like the empirics of it all, below I'm offering a few photos of various diver parts (from my rwi archives) for our esteemed fellow memberMKTimer to study and then judge the qualities of any given rep or engage in verbally abusing valued members such as QueTip and legend. Having the grand total of 20 something post doesn't help much when you abuse people. I truly try to be friendly with people but such attitudes are not to be tolerated here. Dark place indeed

Gen dial
VRe7S3.jpg

Gen dial's lume
VReL32.jpg

Gen dial's rehaut
VReY68.jpg

Gen dial set
VRet9d.jpg

Gen datewheel and 3120
VReqCb.jpg

Quite like the v9.5 indeed or not?

Bump. Well put. The rep world should be about the journey and not waiting for Vxx from a TD to have a 1:1 copy of a gen. It would be a sad day if they were able to manufacture an exact copy for $400 as I do appreciate the perfection of gens. I don't want a cheap copy to ever be perfect. I know some with inferior motives for buying reps will not understand this but I am not buying a rep because I cannot afford a gen. But I could sure as hell not afford as many gens as I can reps. It's fun to study the craftsmanship and just meditate on a watch - rep or gen.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Bump. Well put. The rep world should be about the journey and not waiting for Vxx from a TD to have a 1:1 copy of a gen. It would be a sad day if they were able to manufacture an exact copy for $400 as I do appreciate the perfection of gens. I don't want a cheap copy to ever be perfect. I know some with inferior motives for buying reps will not understand this but I am not buying a rep because I cannot afford a gen. But I could sure as hell not afford as many gens as I can reps. It's fun to study the craftsmanship and just meditate on a watch - rep or gen.

Well said. By natural logic, nobody can afford a gen more than he can afford a rep.
I think that your points are elegantly put, and more importantly, it rings of sincerity and truth.

Reactions: Allure

gabrok

Horology Curious
23/2/19
I've got my QC-s today from this V9.5 diver, I think the bezel and dial is not align correctly or is it normal in these reps?:

33dxm9u.jpg

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I've got my QC-s today from this V9.5 diver, I think the bezel and dial is not align correctly or is it normal in these reps?:

33dxm9u.jpg

That looks pretty crazy. I’m not gonna advice about rejecting or not but it sure looks odd unless the picture is weird. Dial looks rotated and some markers lining up and others not at all. Judging from that picture it’s one of the more insane ones I’ve seen.

Reactions: Lariram