• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

In Depth Review - AP ROO Diver JF "v9.5"

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thought I would hop back into this thread for anyone that didn't feel like reading for themselves to see the flaws with this watch that I admittedly missed in my initial review.

I know no rep is perfect but I'm extremely picky with my reps so I sold it due to the following reasons.
  1. Font is realllly close but could still be perfected. Probably one of the best AP date fonts yet from a factory so kudos to JF.
  2. The Ghost outlines around numbers in rotating bezel are missing, this is an instant tell and the main thing that pushed me to sell mine.
  3. Caseback could be improved but doesn't really effect super-rep status as its on the backside of the watch.
If they fix the listed issue above this watch would be one of the best and most accurate reps out there.

Technically, those aren’t “ghost outlines” as they are neither indistinct nor phantom like. They are clear distinct white borders around the lume numbers, which is a result of the base numbers first printed on the dive bezel, and then the lumes constructed in the middle of the print areas, leaving a border around the numbers.
I do agree with you that this is an easy tell once you know what to look for. This can be seen at about 3m away if you have good eyes.
I also agree with you that if they fix the lume borders, and additionally use a 2836 movement (instant date flip instead of the tell-tale 2824 date roll), it will be a worthy contender in the AP super rep league. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
Technically, those aren’t “ghost outlines” as they are neither indistinct nor phantom like. They are clear distinct white borders around the lume numbers, which is a result of the base numbers first printed on the dive bezel, and then the lumes constructed in the middle of the print areas, leaving a border around the numbers.
I do agree with you that this is an easy tell once you know what to look for. This can be seen at about 3m away if you have good eyes.
I also agree with you that if they fix the lume borders, and additionally use a 2836 movement (instant date flip instead of the tell-tale 2824 date roll), it will be a worthy contender in the AP super rep league. :)

@cvlno

Today I saw a gen Diver from the outside shop window and it was like 70cm away from me maybe. I have very good eyes, never needed glasses or something. It was hard to tell if there were those number surroundings existing or not.
I can not imagin someone can see this from 3m. Totally impossible. To me this would be no deal breaker. Only if you sit somewhere and someone sits beside you he could possibly notice it from 50cm to maximum 1m. But even for that you should not move your arm or otherwise it will not be seen clearly. And let‘s be honest. Who on earth will know that you will have to look there to spot a JF replica Diver? Lol
Except a few people here in RWI nobody will be able to tell. I have a friend who works at an AD and I am sure not even he would know that this is the flaw where you can call out the rep. People who wear gens or buy gens don‘t give a sh** about replicas and their flaws. So how high is the possibility that you will sit next to a RWI member who was reading this thread? I think it is more possible that you win the lottery than that. And even if you hit the lottery jackpot and sit next to a RWI member AND he calls you out with your JF Diver, trust me you will have a wonderful time laughing and discussing rep related topics :)
So let reps be reps and this Diver compared to most of the common reps like ARF and Noob Submariners has pretty little flaws.

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
@cvlno

Today I saw a gen Diver from the outside shop window and it was like 70cm away from me maybe. I have very good eyes, never needed glasses or something. It was hard to tell if there were those number surroundings existing or not.
I can not imagin someone can see this from 3m. Totally impossible. To me this would be no deal breaker. Only if you sit somewhere and someone sits beside you he could possibly notice it from 50cm to maximum 1m. But even for that you should not move your arm or otherwise it will not be seen clearly. And let‘s be honest. Who on earth will know that you will have to look there to spot a JF replica Diver? Lol
Except a few people here in RWI nobody will be able to tell. I have a friend who works at an AD and I am sure not even he would know that this is the flaw where you can call out the rep. People who wear gens or buy gens don‘t give a sh** about replicas and their flaws. So how high is the possibility that you will sit next to a RWI member who was reading this thread? I think it is more possible that you win the lottery than that. And even if you hit the lottery jackpot and sit next to a RWI member AND he calls you out with your JF Diver, trust me you will have a wonderful time laughing and discussing rep related topics :)
So let reps be reps and this Diver compared to most of the common reps like ARF and Noob Submariners has pretty little flaws.

Yes I agree , but in fact JF have 3 or 4 Gen Divers in hand included H model , they can Do it Flawless Rep and wonderful, case DW Dial case back , and no need for v9.5 or maybe v12
This’s marketing game for money ..

Reactions: bosaftw

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
483a7b9420e7646a1b2f85d55f767b62.jpg

AF maker Flawless Rep From first Try and no need for v9.5..

Reactions: DeLoMan

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
For me it’s not about what others can/can’t see on MY wrist...it’s about what I can/can’t see on my own wrist. You can’t un- see what you see yourself.

‘Can’t un-see’ is right next to ‘instant tell’ on the list of RWI hyperbole. Can I see theres no faint outlines? Yes - if I’m 2 ft close and looking for it. Is it obvious and a instant tell? Not really. Not for me...

Last edited:
Reactions: cvlno

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Anyone not seeing a difference here is bsing themselves or should really get their eyes checked.

Mind it or not, it’s definitely there and a noticeable difference

f588dc459a99defbbf0ef9cea96d0939.jpg

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
The AP diver is my all time favourite everyday piece. I’ve had so many different versions in any and all materials and possibly 5-6 various gen dial and rehaut sets. There’s not a single rep that comes close in detail when it comes to the dial and/or tachy. So yes, I can tell the difference from meters away (possibly even 3:)

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
And from 3 meters away?

Just because you have problems with your eye sight doesn’t that mean everybody else has as well. You have had plenty of experts tell you that they can spot it from a distance. Accept it. If you don’t agree, you don’t have to but don’t argue about it like it’s something so marginal when it’s not.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
And from 3 meters away?

Entirely possible, if you have good eyesight and know what to look for from the onset.
The AP diver (whatever version) is often an over-hyped "flawless super rep", but the dive bezel, and even hands, are not replicated to perfection.
Tells are subjective, and you, and anyone else, are fully entitled to your own assessment of any rep. We all have different standards for this hobby and I see what I see physically.

Hakro

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/5/15
I was just about to pull the trigger for it, got my qc pics but then i noticed the numbers on the dive bezel look different.

Now that i know and saw the difference, it can’t be unseen.

So sad, I thought they just made a perfect Ap Diver, but as always jf removing one flaw and add a new one in the same time :woo:

Reactions: legend

charity7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/12/16
Reps will never be perfect, thats why they are reps, HOWEVER, I'm in love with my V9.5:punk:

cvlno

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/18
To all those that replied to my previous comments, I’m not worried about being called out. I really could care less. It’s just a sight that can’t be unseen kinda thing and I fell out of love with the watch. Probably going to pick up an ARF SD43. Overall a phenomenal watch just decided it wasn’t what I truly wanted.

Reactions: KSwatches

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
‘Can’t un-see’ is right next to ‘instant tell’ on the list of RWI hyperbole. Can I see theres no faint outlines? Yes - if I’m 2 ft close and looking for it. Is it obvious and a instant tell? Not really. Not for me...

Hehe. You’re right, however a lot of watch collectors (gen or rep) like admiring the fine details, in the hands and not from 2 feet away...so it is inevitable that we will complain about practically everything. It’s part of the fun for me.

Reactions: cvlno and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Who cares what you watch looks like from 3 meters away. I don’t wear reps to fool others from across the table, I wear them so I can admire the perfect details when I look at my watch, in good lighting, in the hands.

you've summed it up succinctly and nicely. This is what wearing any watch (gen or rep) should ultimately be about.