• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Legit check: AP 15400st

jholmeson

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/2/17
Hi all, got a potentially good deal on this AP. Is it real? It looks pretty good to me, but the recent reps are excellent so it's hard to tell.

Hour market alignment, screws aligned, slightly sunken, high level of polishing/finish all look good. What am I missing, if anything?

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/gnwKSdJ

eQ6SIUM.jpg

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
If you have to ask others if it’s gen, then it’s best that you buy from a trusted seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Hi all, got a potentially good deal on this AP. Is it real? It looks pretty good to me, but the recent reps are excellent so it's hard to tell.

Hour market alignment, screws aligned, slightly sunken, high level of polishing/finish all look good. What am I missing, if anything?

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/gnwKSdJ

eQ6SIUM.jpg

I am with Mech on this one. I would not trust it without going in to an AD and having the serial number authenticated. What is the deal on this? This should be around $15K so if it is too far off, then it's probably too good to be true.

Reactions: mech500

trtr

Renowned Member
10/3/13
This watch is being sold on 2 forums for a touch over $16K and the seller is saying face to face - Unless it's a seller that has references, I wouldn't trust it as anyone could be taking pics of the net and selling it.

transteam

Known Member
23/6/17
I think its a gen.
check the case back w gen w gen pictures from forum and pin.
with that said. you shouldn't buy it from random guy to save 2k, unless he agrees to have the watch inspected by a watch maker.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Pics are not too good, but movement is gen. Still, go to an AD and verify :)

danishshah

Horology Curious
21/11/17
I am with Mech on this one. I would not trust it without going in to an AD and having the serial number authenticated. What is the deal on this? This should be around $15K so if it is too far off, then it's probably too good to be true.

It gen

Sent from the RWI App

leighdreyer

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/7/16
It’s 100% gen the hands are correct shape, tapestry on dial is gen, datewheel font is perfect and more importantly movement is genuine. Could be a totally awesome Franken job but when your spending that much I would always have it verified at an AD to confirm authenticity and if he seller is genuine he won’t have any issue doing this

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It is gen like what the guys said, but take note that it is an older H series vs the current J.
If you are ok with the age, then go ahead and get it verified for authenticity and then purchase it.
Good luck and all the best. :)

Reactions: Allure and superyl

jholmeson

15/2/17
I backed away from this sale, really learned the value of buying the seller before buying the watch. Pretty sure it was a scam, and when dealing with this sort of money it doesn’t pay to take chances. Thanks to everyone who replied!

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I backed away from this sale, really learned the value of buying the seller before buying the watch. Pretty sure it was a scam, and when dealing with this sort of money it doesn’t pay to take chances. Thanks to everyone who replied!

Just pretty curious, what made you imply that seller was a scammer?

Reactions: Allure

jholmeson

15/2/17
Just pretty curious, what made you imply that seller was a scammer?

I can’t point to a smoking gun but the conversation “felt” wrong and there were some details that seemed suspect. Seller’s command of English wasn’t great, I asked a couple of times for details about him (what state he was in, if he’d meet in person) and he ignored those requests but was pressuring me to pay.

I did some research and he had sold watches before but all much lower value and the ads I found by him appeared to be written by someone else (with a better command of English). I did get references and he was able to provide a timestamped paper next to the watch, but then another ad was posted using the same language but a different user ID that the mods warned was from a hacked user account.

I may have been wrong but I’d rather be wrong, risk being a bit rude and have to pay a bit more for a watch than lose five figures. There were too many red flags for me to feel comfortable so I walked away from the deal. It really drove home the concept of “buy the seller before you buy the watch”.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I can’t point to a smoking gun but the conversation “felt” wrong and there were some details that seemed suspect. Seller’s command of English wasn’t great, I asked a couple of times for details about him (what state he was in, if he’d meet in person) and he ignored those requests but was pressuring me to pay.

I did some research and he had sold watches before but all much lower value and the ads I found by him appeared to be written by someone else (with a better command of English). I did get references and he was able to provide a timestamped paper next to the watch, but then another ad was posted using the same language but a different user ID that the mods warned was from a hacked user account.

I may have been wrong but I’d rather be wrong, risk being a bit rude and have to pay a bit more for a watch than lose five figures. There were too many red flags for me to feel comfortable so I walked away from the deal. It really drove home the concept of “buy the seller before you buy the watch”.

And I think that is the smart and right thing to do. If it does not feel completely right, it is best not to go through with it.
I will need to say well done for staying away, and not getting scammed potentially.

Reactions: Allure

jholmeson

15/2/17
And I think that is the smart and right thing to do. If it does not feel completely right, it is best not to go through with it.
I will need to say well done for staying away, and not getting scammed potentially.

Thanks! I think it was the right call too.

Contrasted to another gen purchase I made where the seller went out of his way to establish a relationship, meet me in person, refer me to his jeweler for a reference, etc. Gen or rep, this hobby really does run on relationships.

Reactions: legend

Jxwatch1

Supporter
Certified
3/10/18
I think its a gen based on the dw and hands, but yes agree with you bro. Buy the seller he might used some random internet pics and passed it off as his.

Fat Dave

1/6/13
Australia
It may very well have been gen, but if something didn't feel right, then it wasn't right. As an example, it may have been stolen, which could lead to a nasty surprise when suddenly you don't have either the watch or your money. Clearly your brain was trying to tell you that something wasn't as it should be, and that's generally sound advice.