• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New PP Aquanaut 8.5mm thick!!! Why can't we get a 15400 or others at the right thickness?

uphoto

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/6/18
Totally understand why they can't get the Royal Oak Offshores at the right thickness but never understood why they can't get any of the Royal Oaks at the right thickness.

ZF killed it with the Patek Aquanaut, and at 8.5mm it really shows they can get the right size.

Any ideas why they never get the AP's right?

Reactions: corleone911

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13
Well because of the obvious . The 'Aquanaut' is not a chrono and it's obvoiusly not a 7750 movement like the AP, it's a certain kind of Miyota movement. Also the AP's, especially the ROO's and even Royal oak models have deco plates that needed to be accommodated for in thickness. Unless the movement is cloned it will never have gen thickness/thinness unfortunately ..

Last edited:
Reactions: mech500

transteam

Known Member
23/6/17
Adding on what Miguel said

Factory can get it closer to 9.8mm
But additional effort of thinning case and /or back is to time consuming.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Well because of the obvious . The 'Aquanaut' is not a chrono and it's obvoiusly not a 7750 movement like the AP, it's a certain kind of Miyota movement. Also the AP's, especially the ROO's and even Royal oak models have deco plates that needed to be accommodated for in thickness. Unless the movement is cloned it will never have gen thickness/thinness unfortunately ..

15400 isn’t a Chrono movement.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I get what you’re saying. I would love a gen spec 15400. It changes the look and feel completely

Reactions: csthe

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Totally understand why they can't get the Royal Oak Offshores at the right thickness but never understood why they can't get any of the Royal Oaks at the right thickness.

ZF killed it with the Patek Aquanaut, and at 8.5mm it really shows they can get the right size.

Any ideas why they never get the AP's right?

JF would need to invest in modifying the bridges of the Miyota 9015 instead of putting a deco plate on top. It can definitely be done, as ZF has shown, but it would raise the price substantially. As I know he's working on an AP clone movement maybe he decided to skip this intermediate step.

Reactions: vcappp and csthe

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13
15400 isn’t a Chrono movement.........

Offcourse I know that, most ROO's all have chrono style movements. Just pointing out AP's in general both Rep ROO's and Royal Oaks use deco plates and certain movements that gens don't which account for difference in thickness . Yes it can be thinned down but only to a certain extent and if the factories are willing to do that extra bit .

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I don't want to offend the PP fans, but ZF aquanaut is not as genlike as APROOs such as JF 15703 and XF 15706 for the auqanaut has an open caseback and the deco plate is poorly finished. The correct thickness for an aquanaut is not 8.5mm either as the OP stated. Its thickness is acceptable, but not at all indistinguishable from gen.

Indeed, APROO chronos mostly are thicker than their gen counterparts but comparing chrono reps with non-chrono reps in terms of thickness is as nonsensical as comparing apples to oranges. As long as the chrono movement on the gen is in-house, it can hardly be correctly replicated if not a super clone like the noob 4130.

Fat Dave

1/6/13
Australia
The Gen Aquanaut is 8.1mm.

The KMF Aquanaut is 8.4mm.

That's not identical, but it's pretty reasonable for such a thin watch. It also shows what sort of overall case thickness is achievable with a well-done Miyota design.

(The ZF Aquanaut is 8.8mm, which is a bit too fat IMO for such a thin model.)

Akra

11/1/17
The Gen Aquanaut is 8.1mm.

The KMF Aquanaut is 8.4mm.

That's not identical, but it's pretty reasonable for such a thin watch. It also shows what sort of overall case thickness is achievable with a well-done Miyota design.

(The ZF Aquanaut is 8.8mm, which is a bit too fat IMO for such a thin model.)

.7mm, too fat? That's about the thickness of a credit card right?

Reactions: vcappp

uphoto

Banned
5/6/18
I don't want to offend the PP fans, but ZF aquanaut is not as genlike as APROOs such as JF 15703 and XF 15706 for the auqanaut has an open caseback and the deco plate is poorly finished. The correct thickness for an aquanaut is not 8.5mm either as the OP stated. Its thickness is acceptable, but not at all indistinguishable from gen.

Indeed, APROO chronos mostly are thicker than their gen counterparts but comparing chrono reps with non-chrono reps in terms of thickness is as nonsensical as comparing apples to oranges. As long as the chrono movement on the gen is in-house, it can hardly be correctly replicated if not a super clone like the noob 4130.

Sorry if people aren't understanding what I'm talking about. I don't care about the ROO's and the 7750, it would take a whole new movement to make those thinner and nobody is comparing those to non chrono watches (not sure where people are getting that) BUT what I'm wanting is for JF to show the initiative that KMF and ZF did with getting a watch like the 15400 to the next level which would be thinning it out the GEN thickness.

Nobody even said that the Aquanaut REP was the same thickness as the GEN, people like to argue for no reason I guess.

Fat Dave

1/6/13
Australia
.7mm, too fat? That's about the thickness of a credit card right?

That's fair - poor wording on my part.

At 8.8mm, the ZF is not bad; less than 10% versus the gen, but it's at about the level where it seems a bit too fat to look genuine. The shape appears disproportionate / incongruent, at least if you're familiar with how the gen should look. It looks a bit "off".

The new offering from KMF is much closer to gen in thickness, and in that regard they've really raised the bar as far as expectations. At least, they have if it actually measures at 8.4mm, which I believe still needs to be confirmed independently.

Akra

11/1/17
That's fair - poor wording on my part.

At 8.8mm, the ZF is not bad; less than 10% versus the gen, but it's at about the level where it seems a bit too fat to look genuine. The shape appears disproportionate / incongruent, at least if you're familiar with how the gen should look. It looks a bit "off".

The new offering from KMF is much closer to gen in thickness, and in that regard they've really raised the bar as far as expectations. At least, they have if it actually measures at 8.4mm, which I believe still needs to be confirmed independently.

I understand your point, however I think there are much greater eyesores then the .7mm difference the ZF has with the gen.

Reactions: stufuse

Fat Dave

1/6/13
Australia
I agree, and never noted it as an eyesore. I said it was "a bit too fat IMOfor such a thin model". It's ~9% thicker than gen, whereas its new competitor is <4% thicker, which I find more difficult to tell from gen.

This point was raised initially by a member who noted that since ZF can produce their Aquanaut at only "8.5mm thick", then should we not expect better for something like the 15400? I agreed with that point overall, but clarified that the ZF is actually 8.8mm, and it's the new KMF which is 8.4mm, so it's KMF who is currently setting the benchmark for thin MY9015-based watches. Just a clarification in factories.

Reactions: vcappp and Akra

transteam

Known Member
23/6/17
It is only time consuming if you have your watch modded.

The factory could easily change the automatic machine cut depth parameter on the caseback thickness.

I'm in the process of getting mine modded.
Person did say work was relatively easy for the factory.
In whatever the case, more work/extra steps for the factory.
If it was that easy of a fix, i'm sure 1 of the factories would have done it by now.

uphoto

Banned
5/6/18
I'm in the process of getting mine modded.
Person did say work was relatively easy for the factory.
In whatever the case, more work/extra steps for the factory.
If it was that easy of a fix, i'm sure 1 of the factories would have done it by now.

That's not really how they work though.

I'm sure there are TONS of easy fixes that they ignore if people keep buying the versions that we all think should be fixed.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Sorry if people aren't understanding what I'm talking about. I don't care about the ROO's and the 7750, it would take a whole new movement to make those thinner and nobody is comparing those to non chrono watches (not sure where people are getting that) BUT what I'm wanting is for JF to show the initiative that KMF and ZF did with getting a watch like the 15400 to the next level which would be thinning it out the GEN thickness.

Nobody even said that the Aquanaut REP was the same thickness as the GEN, people like to argue for no reason I guess.

Your original post was confusing as you mentioned ROO. AP 15400 is RO instead of ROO.

transteam

Known Member
23/6/17
That's not really how they work though.

I'm sure there are TONS of easy fixes that they ignore if people keep buying the versions that we all think should be fixed.

I would appreciate someone who has more knowledge on this unit to jump in

My understand was that
With all the decorations, stacking hands, rotor etc , the parts aren't always the same thickness , factories leave enough clearance so they can fit everything without too much work.

And that is why when people thin it out, the final thickness varies by unit