• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black dial 15400: gen VS JF v3 quick visual appraisal.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This is a quick visual comparison between the v3 and its gen counterpart.

Visually the greatest difference to me is still the tapisserie. On the gen the edges appear sharp and crisp and on the v3 the edges are relatively rounded though improved over previous iterations. The text printing on the dial of the gen appears to be a lot better defined though I must say that the v3 dial print is not bad at all. The “Swiss made” print on the v3 appears to be a little blurry.

The markers on the v3 are well executed vs the gen and the hands are not too bad too. The gen hands are more refined and slightly more shiny but I will not rate them as being significantly different.

The gen date font is thinner though the font style is very close, if not exactly the same.

On the case finish, they both look similar. The crystals on both appear to be of the same quality, though the v3 is a wee bit taller in height.

The case is of course a lot thicker on the rep but this is a well documented fact. The bracelet appears to be a lot more pliable and soft on the gen.

Gen on right, v3 on left.
ff8f3995cf4cfdae2a8824885c9026be.jpg

Gen on bottom, v3 on top.
6bc32d9e34661919600b124af3380c6b.jpg

Conclusion: I still think that the v3 is well executed overall considering the price difference. Though the dials look rather different side by side, the case, bracelet and crystal appear to be well finished on the v3.
Datewheel font on the v3 can afford to be a bit thinner. But without the gen to compare side by side, the v3 is a remarkable rep in real life and definitely a lovely looking watch on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Great to hear your opinion of this rep, your analysis of the XF FC diver pushed me into a purchase not long ago. I have been itching to get one of these too, even more so now

Reactions: legend

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Fantastic legend. Great review

Thanks for sharing.

May I know where to find your xf fc diver review. I have both v3 blue and xf diver incoming.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

superyl

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/17
Nice review but How about a modded one vs gen hahaha

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Nice review but How about a modded one vs gen hahaha

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Basically the usual mods done on the 15400 are:
1. Thinning of case
2. Silencing of rotor
3. realignment of markers and logo on dial

So a modded one, visually will show only the thickness difference from stock yes?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Great to hear your opinion of this rep, your analysis of the XF FC diver pushed me into a purchase not long ago. I have been itching to get one of these too, even more so now

You are welcome bro.
And yes you should get the 15400 if you are into the watch.
One thing to share is that gen or rep, the bracelet is a scratch magnet and it will make a lot more sense to wear the rep as a daily beater than the gen.
It has gotten to a point where I have to remove my gen 15400 when working at a desk and that partially defeats the purpose of wearing a watch for me..

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thanks for the review.

Awesome collection you have there bro.

One more thing, when you inspect the lume on the JF hands, do you find that it’s too white compared to the green lume on the dial?

This was the one thing that bothered me the most about my last JF15400.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
This is great, I ordered a black myself and Mech ^ said you had the genuine. Then Up this pops. Printing looks good on yours, I keep noticing the jf 15450 has crisper printing than the 15400.

Looking at the pics and the other couple Gen rep comparisons, its scarily close for the money.

Reactions: MarkJPN

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for the review.

Awesome collection you have there bro.

One more thing, when you inspect the lume on the JF hands, do you find that it’s too white compared to the green lume on the dial?

This was the one thing that bothered me the most about my last JF15400.

Hey Mech, The lume strips on the hands are very thin, and I just compared it with the markers. I did not see a significant difference between the lume colors for markers and the hands, or maybe the difference is not great enough to bother me.

On this iteration, as you can see for yourself above, the colors of the markers and hands lume both appear to be white.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
You are welcome bro.
And yes you should get the 15400 if you are into the watch.
One thing to share is that gen or rep, the bracelet is a scratch magnet and it will make a lot more sense to wear the rep as a daily beater than the gen.
It has gotten to a point where I have to remove my gen 15400 when working at a desk and that partially defeats the purpose of wearing a watch for me..

Well that is something I don’t have to worry about, all my desk diving is done with an Apple Watch and I’m not ashamed to admit it!

I’m thinking of going with the grey dial, the white is nice but I have a rubberclad with a silver/white dial being built, and I have too many black dial watches.

triples10

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/6/18
Great review man, love looking through your post. always learning something new.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
All i have missing due to this whole review was - „V3 vs. V4“

because if i am right there is no gen pictured hehehe ;)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
ecc96be9005728d86e237df839e86c12.jpg
just received my v3 no updated font tho. The print and brushing is really very nice indeed

Wow the brushing looks better than my gen.
Congrats mate and wear her well!

Reactions: Allure