• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone else tired of x2AR on AP?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I have never like the missing crystal look on RO models.

To me it looks weird (non OEM).

The design intent for these watches is for the crystal to reflect light to compliment the blingy bezel and bracelet. Hence a big black hole (in the shape of a crystal) on an otherwise blingy disco ball of a watch, just doesn’t look in accordance with AP design principles to me.

However, I had previously enjoyed x2AR on ROO models. Recently something has changed. I am beginning to think that the missing crystal look is actually UGLY on all APs. If you look at a x2AR AP from across the table, the lack of crystal reflections, completely changes the aesthetics of the watch - away from OEM look.

This is NOT how an AP should look like.
843f2c7cd268dbe0a17e191c9c1163dd.jpg

Anyone else hating on x2AR?

Reactions: jakekrait

sicilianu

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/8/14
After having 2 TCs and now wearing a 2x AR AP V7 i must admit that the look on the AP is from another world, very nice despite not being genuine correct! Maybe with time I will also get bored to the invisible crystal look! I dont’t know how a gen AP crystal looks like though..

Skickat från min iPhone med RWI

Reactions: mech500

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Gen has 1XAR but very high quality. I suggest that you try to use some chemical cleaser to remove the outer layer of AR and make it to 1AR

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13
Nope definitely not tired of it ,as even think it's quite a good mod on our reps. Yes the gen has just 1XAR but a very good quality crystal that makes gives it a decent clarity. Our reps with just 1XAR wouldn't have that effect at all, sometimes so blurry you can't even see the time and doesn't emphasise or make the dial pop like a gen so no point comparing 1XAR on gen to 1XAR on our reps as they are miles apart. The 2xAR crystal on our reps makes up for the high quality 1XAR in gens. TO EACH HIS OWN

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Nope definitely not tired of it ,as even think it's quite a good mod on our reps. Yes the gen has just 1XAR but a very good quality crystal that makes gives it a decent clarity. Our reps with just 1XAR wouldn't have that effect at all, sometimes so blurry you can't even see the time and doesn't emphasise or make the dial pop like a gen so no point comparing 1XAR on gen to 1XAR on our reps as they are miles apart. The 2xAR crystal on our reps makes up for the high quality 1XAR in gens. TO EACH HIS OWN

Check out XF 15707 and 15706. Stock crystal has very high quality crystal and 1XAR combination. What I dislike about it is that the crystal looks blueish at a certain angle, not colorless. But it is genlike in terms of transparency and AR application. I have been considering to mod it maybe.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

New JF crystal is very close to gen. I posted a side by side comparison. The difference is almost negligible but agree gen is gen. The days of blurry rep crystals are long gone.

However, x2AR is VERY different from OEM look.

On gen crystal, light reflections dance around the face of the crystal in a very dynamic manner. With x2AR there is no light reflections whatsoever, just one big black hole.

Anyways, agree, each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

Double post

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
With a lacquered gen dial it looks awesome

Yes, pictured dial is gen.

X2AR looks interesting, just VERY different from gen and therefore very different from Audemars design intent.

No matter what angle you view Gen crystal, it does not look invisible or missing.

The latest JF crystal is very close to gen spec but I can see why people find x2AR appealing.

mrjoe

22/8/15
Definitely not tired of X2 AR esp. on a black dial/diver. This is one of the rare times that I like non OEM better.

Maybe someday Ill get tired of it and switch to x1 but for now def no :)

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
New JF crystal is very close to gen. I posted a side by side comparison. The difference is almost negligible but agree gen is gen. The days of blurry rep crystals are long gone.

However, x2AR is VERY different from OEM look.

On gen crystal, light reflections dance around the face of the crystal in a very dynamic manner. With x2AR there is no light reflections whatsoever, just one big black hole.

Anyways, agree, each to their own.

Hi boss, do you know if a JF 15703 crystal would fit a XF V2 15706? Thanks!

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I've said it over and over again. 2xAR is one of the mods how you can actually ruin your watch. :giggle:

Reactions: mech500 and BIONONE

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
^this

As already said so many times - 2xAR is not the right way to go.

and in this case i never saw the necessity of slapping a 2xAR crystal in a so perfect franken as it will give the watch nothing but irritation to it.

And in the end it is not only a design aspect AP to use a 1xAR crystal - like everyone knows the AR coating is often a scratch magnet (likewise to the AP bezels haha) so using it only on the inside is a much more resitable concept additionally IMO

bit you are right - the design aspect plays a certain role when it comes to 1xAR