• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15202 JF - New Release

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Please don’t make me saying what I didn’t say.
Common sense is that these flaw will be corrected.
It is not the first time that we see obvious flaws like this one on the pics showed on TDs website. Last example is the silver JLC Moonphase missing letters on the Automatic on the dial. I am quite confident that these flaw on AP rotor will be corrected for the sold watches.
I will trust the QC pictures before validation.
If there is this flaw I will not buy of course

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
I didn't say anything what you dont wrote? Iam sceptical if the flaw will be corrected if they produced 1000 pieces of this then they will sell them first.

Reactions: vcappp

el_assamite

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/7/10
Can"t wait to see how far I can thin this mid-case without hitting that rotor.

Based on 15400 experience, how far we could dream thinning the mid-case? I expect your answer to be that you need to have it in your hands to be able to comment.
Sorry I am really excited about this 15202!

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
i think the case itself must be thinned too because the gen is a little bent in the middle

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I do not know how far I can thin the JF 15202. "I need to get it in my hands." It depends largely on rotor-to-display distance and then the distance of the seconds hand to crystal. What experience has taught me is that the JF 15400s in stock form vary quite alot in these distances from unit to unit. I need to measure each of these two distances anew for each watch and do calculations of what can be shaved. This was the final measurement of the latest JF 15400 I thinned just yesterday:
HzNg.jpg

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
If you have noticed on puretime the pic of this watch has a dial flaw and on intime this rotor misspelling, but the dial is good. It may be only the examples given but when you buy it, the watch could be alright. Or maybe even more fked up but it's not probable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

johnlia

Renowned Member
23/1/17
Sadly the hands are way off also the date wheel.. as usual..

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Of course, the stock DW is not good, but I think I have a solution. Right now I am thinking of how to deal with the hands. If the quartz is any indicator, JF probably used a cap to cover the minute pinion. The cap needs to be replaced with one smaller in diameter. You can see I am thinking about this replica, but if the rotor has that misspelling, it will be a long time before I actually get one for myself. They really need to correct that.

el_assamite

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/7/10
I do not know how far I can thin the JF 15202. "I need to get it in my hands." It depends largely on rotor-to-display distance and then the distance of the seconds hand to crystal. What experience has taught me is that the JF 15400s in stock form vary quite alot in these distances from unit to unit. I need to measure each of these two distances anew for each watch and do calculations of what can be shaved. This was the final measurement of the latest JF 15400 I thinned just yesterday:
HzNg.jpg

Thanks for your answer :)

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I’ll probably buying this just for a laugh. Never really cared for this watch in gen....I know the whole genta shit ..... but to me this size/Dial hasn’t aged very well. It looks too 70s retro for my taste....but worth a punt in rep form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: theREALgoat

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I only find the watch cool because its so thin (as Gen or the Quartz rep) but this makes no sense here :D

Reactions: TheDonSL

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
Yeah I’m not so keen on the Royal Oak watches, this one looked cool due to the thickness but the rep is thicker so what is the point? Plus 39mm? Rather have the larger one.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
There’s a great deal of romanticism in the 15202, in a way that’s reminiscent of the early rolex-based Pams and Daytonas. I am a fan of Genta’s design, but there more to the 15202 than that. For a brand like AP that’s no stranger to flashiness and bling-bling, the purity of the said reference is something to treasure. I do like the fact that they keep using a movement that’s older than the majority of rwi’s population (nearly half a century that is). The understated hands and hour markers, the virtually unchanged case (again, almost 50 years old) all elevate the timepiece to a class of it’s own. Even Patek could not keep the original 3700 design ans size and had to remake and bump it up, even if only slightly, to a more modern age size in the 5711. It takes balls not to update what seems initially a dated design for a time that preceeds the UK’s joining of the now hated EU. Come on, no seconds hand?) And yet, there is no seconds hand and there is no quick date set :) Put the 15202 next to the more modern and much more expensive (at the secondary market) 5711 and you may start appreciating the hints of superiority hiding in the 15202’s purity and unassuming presence. After all, it’s just a lump of steel in a modest 39mm size that has come to redefine the luxury watches segment :)

But then again, I am a proud owner of a full (and rare) 15202 franken set so my apparent lack of objectivity should be excused.

Leaving rotor typos and bad pad printing aside, this is not such a bad attempt at replicating an iconic (there, I said it) timepiece to a standard of craftmanship which is simply superior to most other products in our hobby. I recently said that I am disappointed with the lack of innovation in the AP rep scene. While this 15202 attempt is not an innovation in itself, it’s a good sign that the leading factory in the AP scene is willing to listen and develop products to our liking (you would
remember surely how members complained about the lack of 15202 in the JF catalogue). All in all, Genta fan or not, this is truly a positive development which we should cherish.

[edit] P.S. Of course this too needs a straight logo, smaller hands pinions, thinner bezel/midcase/caseback and a better datewheel. But last time I checked people were content in buying 16mm worth of ROO bricks that had all of those faults but were at least flashier :) So let’s wait until these 15202s get into our hands and then pass judgements. That is not to say that we don’t want JF to up their game and start developing new movements, and possibly get a new pad printer :)

Last edited:

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
Can"t wait to see how far I can thin this mid-case without hitting that rotor.

Sir, Please take my money, the master of case thinning???????????? so excited to hear that your are interested in this model????

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I only find the watch cool because its so thin (as Gen or the Quartz rep) but this makes no sense here ????

Yes it’s thin (well gen and quartz rep are) but the breadth takes up a lot of real estate on the wrist.

The quartz in particular has very stiff endlinks and as a result the bracelet flares out a little before wrapping around the wrist.

If you have bigger wrists then this is fine but for smaller wrists I find that the quartz 15202 actually wears bigger than 15400 (for me), see pics:

39mm Quartz 15202 on 6.75” wrist:
f7be6cc12172044f4a91b254ae2403d1.jpg

92b88dd659f854443da00b710a3d4b02.jpg

41mm 15400 on 6.75” for reference:
9453a91763953d6ae7a26e0f46405917.jpg

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
mech500, your reports on the wearing experience of your gen 15400 have had a great impact on me. I am fully convinced that, at 9.8mm, the 41mm 15400 is a daily wearable machine (coming from somebody who nearly bought a 15300 last winter, because 39mm wears so perfectly on him.) But 15202 is holy esp. for somebody who experienced its time slot, the early 1970s, as paradise, and the design as timeless.

Reactions: mech500 and vcappp

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
mech500, your reports on the wearing experience of your gen 15400 have had a great impact on me. I am fully convinced that, at 9.8mm, the 41mm 15400 is a daily wearable machine (coming from somebody who nearly bought a 15300 last winter, because 39mm wears so perfectly on him.) But 15202 is holy esp. for somebody who experienced its time slot, the early 1970s, as paradise, and the design as timeless.

The 15202 thinness is cool in principle but if you have bony wrists (ie non flat), then ultra thin watches can sit awkwardly on the bone.

Sometimes the extra mid-case thickness (on non ultra thin watches) helps to lift the bracelet endlinks off the wrist bone a little in such a way that they help the bracelet fold nicely around bony (non flat) wrists.

Therefore, the JF15202 may actually suit my bony wrist better than a gen (or true ultra thin rep). I’ll order one if the rotor typo is confirmed as just a prototype.