• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO Sincere Tantalum Owner's Club - post em if ya got one

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU
Any ideas why this did happen just on our dials?

Did they use a different glue or lume as usually?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Any ideas why this did happen just on our dials?

Did they use a different glue or lume as usually?

I do believe that this is a leakage/deterioration of the adhesive used for the markers. Issue is exacerbated by higher temperatures/sunlight exposure. It can likely be cleaned off but before the stains seep into the dial.

If someone is willing to send me the watch I’ll do a diagnosis and I’ll do what I can to clean up the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
I think it's not just on our ST. There is a safari for sale in m2m and it has it as well. My safari which is older doesn't. I think this is a new jf issue for now or different products there are using. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: TingelTangelTom

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
If someone would like to sell because of the Dial.

I would like to buy one, because my next Project is a Franken and i need the JF Watch and the Silver Tachy.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
I have a Tantalum and there is some staining from the adhesive mix showing. The Indigo I bought in the same order doesn't have the issue, just a 7750 movement failure! However I think that Angus and Co have other things of more immediate concern, in the form of the raids currently going on, to consider the dial issue to be of major significance.

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU
New Strap arrived -finaly.

4rgrwib5eg3.jpg

And Picure of my Dial: Still no signs of the adhesive.. Any Word from Angus on this recently?

Wunderpus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/5/18
Anyone have on of these they'd like to sell? Puretime is out of stock, not sure any other TDs that carry it? Thanks so much guys!

Reactions: vcappp

Toscana

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
27/8/16
I can evaluate to sell mine
2e6f303f559e24056fd8e1865f617c63.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-N950F utilizzando Tapatalk

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
I love the Tantalums. Such a shame that so many of them are affected by the adhesive issue. Doesn't seem as though there is any desire from Puretime to rectify the defect.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
For this watch, many member reported that there is mysterious yellow residue around the markers on the dial.

So, I sent the watch to legend in order to inspect what causes the mysterious yellow residue.

By the way, I would like to say thank you legend He is one of the famous RWI members and a great modder and watch enthusiast who has good communication skills and vast knowledge about watches. His attention to detail is amazing! Highly recommended as a modder. He charges a very reasonable price.

He took around a few weeks to inspect and cleaning the movement. (the wait is worth it!). He is super supportive and a good kind man.

Long story short, legend did inspection about the mysterious yellow residue and removed the dial to look at it and he confirmed that the leakage is from the lume varnish or lume mixture itself. The attached pictures are magnified photos of the mysterious yellow residue around the markers.
3b03787be49db854d1abb6c714db2d6f.jpg

4ff1ceb04bb10a1dcee12cb4d7796de4.jpg
7399945c37b8683da2f704169ae70bfc.jpg

The yellow residue was not that bad in real life because it is actually small size area. There was a risk of damaging the dial if continue to remove the yellow residue completely. So just decided leave it as it is and the movement is cleaned and oiled.
Anyway, now we know what it is and the mystery is solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
Based on those great pics I would say it's not the lume but the gold paint used to coat the number surrounds. You can see in those pics that the surrounds are no longer gold but silver.

Looks like the gold paint dissolved and ran out onto the dial.

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK

No. It's the adhesive varnish used to attach the numbers, as originally suggested, It is NOT anything to do with the lume, nor paint dissolving off the edges of the number pans. Just a bad batch of varnish. Its not really a visible problem in normal wear.

Last edited:

Toscana

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
27/8/16
Unfortunatly not possible to remove without risk to damage dial
235c2ede0f3f32f63c2af9d41195a94c.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-N950F utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: vcappp