• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best 39mm Royal Oak AP

shortlegs

31/5/19
I totally understand, and I'm not upset or anything. It's just small things here and there during the entire process from the beginning.

Anyway, back on topic, if the quartz rep is now out of the running, what then is the next best for 39mm ROs? JF 15202, or BP 15300? Guess it's back to research time..

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I totally understand, and I'm not upset or anything. It's just small things here and there during the entire process from the beginning.

Anyway, back on topic, if the quartz rep is now out of the running, what then is the next best for 39mm ROs? JF 15202, or BP 15300? Guess it's back to research time..

Well, both are flawed in their own ways, but between the two, I will pick the JF 15202. Personal preference.

Reactions: Pdatoon

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth

mid budget 15300, high budget jf 15202

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Back then when the JF was launched i talked to the insider and valuable member reppists and he gave me the information that the 15202ST was planned and developed a long time before its release.

That was the reason it still got the same major weak spots of the older 15400ST (pre V2J models).

To name them:
- inaccurate tapisserie (while it is less obvious on the smaller pattern of the 15202)
- weak printing
- wrong date wheel with the old basic font

- the 15400 got a silent update of the hands in between V2J/V3 where the lume was made smaller (more gen like)
... could be seen as JF‘s attention towards the hands or just as a supply/manufacturer change

—> maybe they didnt pay too much attention to the hands back then which resulted in the fuckery they call hands base...

he also added that a V2 was planned for summer of 2019. But as we all know those announcements have to be taken with a big grain of salt. And often are just hot air.
And somehow the release seem to be flopped back then which possibly influenced the plans for today.
Who knows.

Just a small comment on the side of the road.

Reactions: csthe

jean.pierre

Looking Around
12/5/18
Europe
Back then when the JF was launched i talked to the insider and valuable member reppists and he gave me the information that the 15202ST was planned and developed a long time before its release.

That was the reason it still got the same major weak spots of the older 15400ST (pre V2J models).

To name them:
- inaccurate tapisserie (while it is less obvious on the smaller pattern of the 15202)
- weak printing

- the 15400 got a silent update of the hands in between V2J/V3 where the lume was made smaller (more gen like)
... could be seen as JF‘s attention towards the hands or just as a supply/manufacturer change

—> maybe they didnt pay too much attention to the hands back then which resulted in the fuckery they call hands base...

he also added that a V2 was planned for summer of 2019. But as we all know those announcements have to be taken with a big grain of salt. And often are just hot air.
And somehow the release seem to be flopped back then which possibly influenced the plans for today.
Who knows.

If there'll be a V2, and it's looking good, I'll get that. 39mm is perfect for a RO to look not too bulky, especially as the 41 reps are thicker than gen

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
If there'll be a V2, and it's looking good, I'll get that. 39mm is perfect for a RO to look not too bulky, especially as the 41 reps are thicker than gen

Well the 39mm ROs are thicker than gen too, but yes, I will agree with you that they are less bulky when worn on the wrist. In fact, 39mm for royal oaks seem to be the magical size which fits all, much like the 40mm Rolex.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Since we are discussing mods, i fixed it with some glue. It stays where it should now. Also did the earlier mentioned paint job for the AP Logo.
Now I got two of the bezel screws that are not aligned. I know they must be glued in since they are not connected to the screws on the Caseback and the above mentioned gasket goes way deeper into the bezel than the screws.
Has anyone done that? Can give me info on how to straighten/glue them back in?
f86067d86da5fc2f3c96d99c92aca183.jpg

Any update mate? Did you sorted out the screws positioning?
Btw what did you used for paint the mid line of the ap logo?
Thanks

naturaqua

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/7/18

To name them:
- weak printing

Who knows.

Thanks for the info! If they adress these issues I would buy the V2 in a heartbeat. As for now the V1 is not worth USD 450+. But being realistic the V2 will have some of the same or new flaws... the rep game never ends :)

sasquatch951

Supporter
Certified
28/11/18
I was going to grab Sead’s quartz 15202 but with the two recent experiences listed on here I’m now torn. I get that it’s fine for the price but at the same time I don’t want to wear something that’s basically dhgate quality...also don’t want to spend the JF price for a thicker watch...dammit.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I was going to grab Sead’s quartz 15202 but with the two recent experiences listed on here I’m now torn. I get that it’s fine for the price but at the same time I don’t want to wear something that’s basically dhgate quality...also don’t want to spend the JF price for a thicker watch...dammit.

So won't have a 15202 to wear lol.
Been placed an order this morning for this one, with rubber strap tho and not SS beacuse the SS bracelet quality from lastest batch is atrocious.

sasquatch951

Supporter
Certified
28/11/18
So won't have a 15202 to wear lol.
Been placed an order this morning for this one, with rubber strap tho and not SS beacuse the SS bracelet quality from lastest batch is atrocious.

Maybe I’ll do the same with a rubber strap and grab a JF bracelet

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Maybe I’ll do the same with a rubber strap and grab a JF bracelet

unless you are abled to source a single 15202 bracelet from JF and are willing to modify the case/bracelet end links to match each other it won't be the best solution. Let alone the fact that the JF bracelet will cost more than the quartz watch itself hehe.

And i can imagine that the difference in finishes of the case vs bracelet are night and day so it would be kind of a waste for the nicely finished JF part.

But without giving it a try nobody is going to know the above stated or sure ;)

deadaglev

6/5/13
Any update mate? Did you sorted out the screws positioning?
Btw what did you used for paint the mid line of the ap logo?
Thanks

I did not had the guts to try yet. Also not the Time:) not sure if it worth possibly ruining the watch because the screws are so tiny that it does not really bother me that much.

I used white acrylic paint for the logo. Mixed with a tiny drop of water so it is less dense and spreads better and then used a very thin needle, one that is used for acupuncture, sanded the sharp tip so it can take a tiny drop of paint to carefully apply.
Q-Tips to remove what was applied to much.
Needed a few layers and try and error before it was nice and even. And also cleaning the logo and dial from excess paint and fibers from the Q-Tips was a bit nerve wrecking. But overall a quite quick and doable mod if you have good eyes and a steady hand.
I have to say, it is a small amount of paint but it makes quite a difference on the appearance of the dial.
I also rebrushed the inside of the bracelet and then soaked it with Balistol. It is now completely smoothe, did not tried baby oil but Balistol is working fine for me. So if anyone is experiencing sharp edges on the inside, a quick rebrush with sandpaper or a flexible nail polishing Pad and Balistol really helps.

Reactions: SHB

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
I did not had the guts to try yet. Also not the Time:) not sure if it worth possibly ruining the watch because the screws are so tiny that it does not really bother me that much.

I used white acrylic paint for the logo. Mixed with a tiny drop of water so it is less dense and spreads better and then used a very thin needle, one that is used for acupuncture, sanded the sharp tip so it can take a tiny drop of paint to carefully apply.
Q-Tips to remove what was applied to much.
Needed a few layers and try and error before it was nice and even. And also cleaning the logo and dial from excess paint and fibers from the Q-Tips was a bit nerve wrecking. But overall a quite quick and doable mod if you have good eyes and a steady hand.
I have to say, it is a small amount of paint but it makes quite a difference on the appearance of the dial.
I also rebrushed the inside of the bracelet and then soaked it with Balistol. It is now completely smoothe, did not tried baby oil but Balistol is working fine for me. So if anyone is experiencing sharp edges on the inside, a quick rebrush with sandpaper or a flexible nail polishing Pad and Balistol really helps.

Thanks for the how to bud

sasquatch951

Supporter
Certified
28/11/18
Good idea but maybe not a JF, better go with a dhgate one?

Ended up getting a 15202 from Sead. Awaiting QCs. Took a look on dhgate and found this bracelet just in case. The review picture looks decent. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know!