• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JF AP 15400ST Gen vs Rep mini-review (BLUE)

asuwere

2/6/19
Recently picked up my grail watch, AP 15400ST boutique Blue and thought I’d do a quick gen vs rep mini-review for the community.

To be continued.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me the brushing on the top surface of the bezel and case look totally different between the rep and gen. I'm super curious how AP achieved the effect they did and heard that the AP RO is considered to have the best finish in the world. If I had that gen up close I'd take a loupe and compare how the brushing looks under magnification. Any chance you have a loupe laying around and want to post a few more pics?

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
anyone knows if a GEN dial fits a JF 15400 V5? thank you

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
anyone knows if a GEN dial fits a JF 15400 V5? thank you

Size wise yes. But the dial feet positions are different for the gen and rep dial and some modding is needed for the gen dial to fit the rep movement.

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
Size wise yes. But the dial feet positions are different for the gen and rep dial and some modding is needed for the gen dial to fit the rep movement.

thank you, very much appreciated...
even If I still do not know if a 1k$ GEN dial would be a good invest for a JF V5 with a Miyota movement :giggle: just lurking around...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
thank you, very much appreciated...
even If I still do not know if a 1k$ GEN dial would be a good invest for a JF V5 with a Miyota movement :giggle: just lurking around...

That depends on how much you’ll wear the watch. If it’s something you wear daily, or keep in active rotation, yes it’s worthwhile.
A lot of people say the rep black dial is closest to gen, but I can tell you that if you’ve seen the gen black dial, the rep is nothing like it. So yes, if you really like the 15400 and wear it “seriously”, then get a gen dial. Please note that there is a difference between the J series and i series colors for the silver, black and blue dial variants. Do your own research to see which one you like the best.

Kmmas

7/4/15
So I have a JF 15400 V1. I swapped the v1 blue dial for a V5 blue dial.
Also the datewheel is the same as the V1. I feel the datewheel is much darker to go with the V5 blue dial. It almost looks as if it’s black. I could be wrong since I don’t have a V5 blue dial to compare it with. Those of you who have a V5 blue dial what do you think? I’ve posted a link below, for the images . The reason I’m sharing here is they say the V5 and V3 dials are the same colour

https://imgur.com/gallery/hTDBY4M

mech500

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
So I have a JF 15400 V1. I swapped the v1 blue dial for a V5 blue dial.
Also the datewheel is the same as the V1. I feel the datewheel is much darker to go with the V5 blue dial. It almost looks as if it’s black. I could be wrong since I don’t have a V5 blue dial to compare it with. Those of you who have a V5 blue dial what do you think? I’ve posted a link below, for the images . The reason I’m sharing here is they say the V5 and V3 dials are the same colour

mech500

In the gen, the dw background on the blue 15400 is a dark blue too, and does not match the blue dial 100%. It is darker than the dial as well.
Don't worry about it. The V5 dial vs dw combo is accurate. If it bothers you, get it changed out. Everyone interprets color differently, and usually you find consensus only when it comes to significant differences, like for example, a dial being dark instead of light grey, or orange instead of red. For color intensity, it is very much open to debate, so my advice will be to do your own research and see what you can accept and what you cannot.

Reactions: Kmmas

Kmmas

7/4/15
In the gen, the dw background on the blue 15400 is a dark blue too, and does not match the blue dial 100%. It is darker than the dial as well.
Don't worry about it. The V5 dial vs dw combo is accurate. If it bothers you, get it changed out. Everyone interprets color differently, and usually you find consensus only when it comes to significant differences, like for example, a dial being dark instead of light grey, or orange instead of red. For color intensity, it is very much open to debate, so my advice will be to do your own research and see what you can accept and what you cannot.

Yes I know its darker than the dial and doesn’t match the dial 100%. But It is dark blue. The V1 datewheel against the V5 dial almost feels like it’s black. Since I’ve never owned a V5 or a gen and haven’t seen either in flesh, I was hoping for a opinion of someone who has seen a Blue 15400 gen. or someone who can compare it to their V5.
yea I guess you are right

https://imgur.com/gallery/hTDBY4M

Last edited:

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Great review!! I learnt a lot!!