• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen vs Rep Comparison Compilation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I have compiled a big list of Gen vs Rep comparisons and have added them to this thread. This makes the AP sub less messy with 1000x of stickies. All credit goes to the creators of the original posts and pictures. Thanks for the amazing work. If you don't want your thread / pics to be featured in this thread, kindly PM me and let me know. :)

If you stumble across any more Gen vs Rep threads or showcases. Pm me the link and I will add them to this thread.

The following comparisons have been added to this thread so far. You can find them at the corresponding post number.

# 2 Rose Gold Grand Prix Gen vs Rep by Sbybbuser
# 3 Black Themes Gen vs Rep by Legend of Speed and alvinado
# 4 Safari Gen vs Rep by Klockis
# 5 Royal Oak Tourbillon Gen vs Rep by machiavegli
# 6 Panda Gen vs Rep by sy0296
# 7 + # 8 15400 (BP) Gen vs Rep by Klockis
# 9 Navy Themes Gen vs Rep by unregistered
# 10 44 Panda Gen vs Rep by Sbybbuser
# 11 SS Diver Black Gen vs Rep by singajek
# 12 RG Schumi Gen vs Rep by Shady2
# 13 15400 Blue (JF) Gen vs Rep by DTime (nonTD afaik)
# 14 44 RG Gen vs Rep by nlnlnlnene
# 15 44 FC Gen vs Rep by ardi69gain
# 16 Volcano Gen vs Rep by ardi69gain

#17 New JF Royal Oak Tourbillon Review/Comparison with old RO Toury Rep and Gen by capnjazz (let me know if you're fine with your post being added to this)
#18 JF AP 15400ST Blue Gen vs Rep (JF) Review by mech500 (let me know if you're fine with your post being added to this)
#19 JF AP Survivor vs Gen by unknown
#20 AP Safari 2014 vs Gen by andman (let me know if you're fine with your post being added to this)
#21 JF AP 15707CE vs Gen by unknown
#22 JF AP 15710ST White vs Gen by unknown
#23 ZF 15500ST Grey vs Gen by legend

Last edited:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
bla

Sorry for the bad pictures.

Pictures were taken with a crappy cellphone camera.

I will do a better photoshoot the next time

Pic:

Gen (Left); Rep (Right)

20150605_123324_zpspsyvqarn.jpg

Gen

20150605_123355_zpsq0js4sif.jpg

Rep

20150605_123359_zps1mevqxvc.jpg

20150605_123430_zpsiu1dhien.jpg

Gen on top

20150605_123458_zpsihmt1cst.jpg

65bd196f-46eb-44da-9341-4a4e29b14718_zpsxoaswqeg.jpg

Based on my observation, the rep has these flaws:

The RG color is different with the gen being more yellow than the rep. Rep has pinkish color while gen is yellowish.

The tapestry dial is different also. With the gen looks like it has a bigger squares. Maybe because the gen has more depth.

The bezel as mentioned is glossier on the rep. The gen has matte finish. The rep does look glossy on certain angle or lighting.

The DW font is way bigger on the gen. The DW font on the gen almost fill out the whole DW cutout.

The Bezel screws on the rep are bigger than gen.

And the usual AP Flaws such as DW position and crown position (rep crown is higher than the gen; the gen DW is more on the left compared to rep)

One more little thing to add, the screw for the strap and on the body are black on the gen, and they are silver on the rep.

Crystal is very very good. no need to add any AR. i would say the rep is on par with the gen.

Given the price of the gen, I have to say that I am very very please with the rep.

I don't think there is much to do in term of modding to the rep. The only feasible mod will be to color the screws black with a marker. lol

So get it if you like a RG watch. This watch is a stunner.

It oozes luxury but sporty at the same time.

I am wearing it with a rubber strap, so it actually can be worn daily without looking too "in your face"

I will take a better pics next time.

For now, I think these will suffice.

Cheers

Last edited:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Bla

By Legend of Speed, reposted by alvinado.

One of the SoCal family owns a gen Black Themes... and although he will remain nameless, he provided his Black Themes for these comparison shots next to a Black Themes V2 secs@12 watch owned by me...
In the pics, the gen is the bracelet version, the rep is the rubber strap version....

deGAZYL.png

Fk32LTF.png

SI0uwSp.png

9KWqjkW.png

This last shot is a comparison between the gen Black Themes versus a Ziggy lumed Slevin... taken to gauge the intensity of the lume versus the master's.... as my rep will be going for lume soon.
liHneff.png

Hope you enjoyed the pics... and thanks to the fellow SoCal member for taking the pics..

Last edited:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
01.jpg~original

The Offshore Safari is a watch that I have dreamt about for many years and last week I finally got an offer for a almost brand new gen that I could not resist.
To me its the perfect summer watch with its cream dial and one of the best looking straps that ever have been made IMHO.

The ROO reps have flaws that most of you are familiar with.
The date window too far to the right, crown and pushers inline, a hole on the deployant clasp and the case being too thick.
But as you will see in the review there is more if we look into the small details.
Some of these flaws are just for the Safari and others are for all ROO reps.

Before we start:
My rep is the latest version of Noob sec @ 12 Safari and have a gen OEM hornback strap and a Mikey2008 no hole clasp (thanks buddy!).

The fit and finish of the rep is not too far off the gen,
There was much bigger difference in my rep vs. gen 15400 RO review:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=160326
Its not because the gen ROO is that far off the gen RO in fit and finish.
More that the rep ROO's have a better finish then the rep RO's.
Of course its unfair to compare finish on a rep that is made of the cheapest material they can find to a gen
where they don't cut any corners and can afford to have small tolerances and use the best grade metals and even white gold for some details.
02Finish.jpg~original

The hour numerals are a bit thinner on the gen and the silver (white gold?) outline is fraction wider on the gen.
Also the black filling in the numerals are better on the gen where the paint goes all the way to the outline.
On the rep there is some inconsistence and missing a little bit paint at some edges.
All this makes the hour numerals more defined on the gen.
03NumGen.jpg~original

03NumRep.jpg~original

The cream dial is a shade darker on the gen.
On the rep the mega tapisseries "pillows" are a bit smaller and the background of the dial shines through but that can not be seen with the naked eye.
04dialgen.jpg~original

04dialrep.jpg~original

Subdials.
On the gen the subdials are part of the dial and looks to be milled down out of the dial.
The rep uses separate subdials the just are glued down in hollow cavity in the dial.
Gen have concentric circles (from the milling?) on the subdials where the rep just have painted subdials.
This makes a sunbursed effect on the gen subdial and the rep just look shiny.
Font and size of the subdials print looks to be very close on the rep. Just a bit more sloppy edges.
05subdialgen.jpg~original

05subdialrep.jpg~original

The centre of the white gold hands on the gen have a slope on them at the hour/minute post that looks like a pyramid. On the reps polished steel hands they are flat.
The centre of the gens chrono seconds hand is almost filled with black paint while the reps seconds pinion is more visible.
06handsgen.jpg~original

06handsrep.jpg~original

Tachymeter numbers are smaller on the rep and the "TACHYMETER" text stretched out more to start and finish at the same points as the gen.
The gens font also seems to be a bit bolder.
On the rep the text is printed further down on the tachy.
07Tachygen.jpg~original

07Tachyrep.jpg~original

The flaw that most rep nerds know, the rep date is too far to the right due to the movement used.
I also think that the date wheel on the rep is a standard A7750 wheel.
The font is very different from the gen.
Date numbers are smaller on the rep and also have the wrong font compared to the gens Audemars Piguet font.
Also the background on the date wheel is darker on the gen.
Its hard to see but if the gen ROO's uses the same date wheel as my gen 15400 the date print will also be raised while the rep uses flat printed dates.
The AP logo is too far to the right on the rep and the font is too thin on the "AP" but on the "AUDEMARS PIGUET" text it is too bold or maybe its the text that are a bit to small making the text look bolder when its squished together.
Again flat printed text on the rep while the gen is raised (screen printed?).
08dategen.jpg~original

08daterep.jpg~original

The gen uses a piggy back chrono module so the date wheel sits much deeper under the dial then it does on the rep. Also known as the black hole :)
Rep date cyclops have a blue hue that I have not seen on the gen.
09DWgen.jpg~original

09DWrep.jpg~original

Also because of the piggy back chrono module the gen have a asymmetric crown that are lower then the chrono pushers.
Rep pushers and crown are in-line since it uses a standard A7750 chrono movement with added gears to transfer the running seconds to 12.
10crowngen.jpg~original

10crownrep.jpg~original

Because of the A7750 movement everything on the case is thicker on the rep.
Bezel, mid-case and caseback is thicker. Not sure about the bezel gasket that looks to the same size.
One of my dislikes with the rep ROO's have always been that they felt a bit top heavy but with the gen I don't feel that way.
Gen sits so much better on the wrist and just hug the wrist that the rep never did.
11Case01.jpg~original

11Case02.jpg~original

Gens bezel screws are slightly sunken into the bezel and the heads are perfectly flat. That's what make the bezel screws fitment look so precise on the gen.
Some of the reps screws are sunken but not all and they are not even.
The edges of the reps screw heads are a bit rounded.
12bezelgen.jpg~original

12bezelrep.jpg~original

Caseback engravings are thicker and deeper on the egen
13CBgen.jpg~original

13CBrep.jpg~original

There is no holes on the sides on the gen deployant clasp and the engravings are deeper.
This rep clasp in this picture is brushed and the gen is polished. (The rep clasp can be had in either brushed or polished finish)
14clasp.jpg~original

The gen rubber pieces on pushers and crown looks different to rep.
On the rep it looks more dull.
15rubber01.jpg~original

15rubber02.jpg~original

In closing,
All this above is of course just nitpicking and maybe I have been extra anal just to justify the expense spent on the gen :D
The Noob ROO's is very good and some of the flaws can not be seen at arms length.
Other flaws are quite obvious and is due to the movement.
Then there is those stupid flaws like the hole in the clasp that is so easy to fix but after all these years they didn't bother.
That hole is the first thing I look for when seeing a ROO in the wild and very easy to spot.
(Sead sell a great no-hole clasp if you want to upgrade.)

I had my fair share of Noob ROO's over my rep collecting years and I have been very happy with them but I always know the obviously flaws and was never quite comfortable wearing them out in public.
Until they get a proper movement with a piggyback chrono module like the gen these flaws will still be present.
But I will still enjoy the rep ROO's from time to time since they are very well made and only us watch nerds know what flaws to look for.
All others will just see a very beautiful sports watch, no matter if its a gen or rep :)

Thank you for reading :)

/Klockis

Last edited:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
This is my 2000th post on RWG (plus a bunch on RWI and RepGeek), and to celebrate that milestone I am writing the first rep vs. gen review of the Audemars Piguet Tourbillon replica.

Audemars Piguet Tourbillon Replica

The genuine version of the Extra-Thin Tourbillon (26510ST.00.1220ST.01) was announced by Audemars Piguet at the 2012 SIHH convention. The design is a really beautiful evolution of the classic Royal Oak design by Gerard Genta in 1972, with obvious modifications including case dimensions. The Extra-Thin gen was a breakthrough in tourbillon design with a thickness of only 8.85 mm.

The first AD to announce sales of the replica AP Tourbillon was Tim aka Fat Panda aka Watch Finder, TD at RWG. Here’s his posting on RWG from July 2014:
http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=82897&st=0

My watch was originally purchased from Watch Finder by RWG VIP Mnaji89, who sold it to me member-to-member. To help me with this write up, he forwarded all his QC pictures, QC videos, emails and messages sent to him by Watch Finder in the purchase. The quality of communications and service by Watch Finder was superb. Watch Finder actually rejected the original tourbillon replica sent to him by Factory T because of this smudge on the bezel, so he did the whole QC process twice until he found a second AP tourbillon replica that was perfect.

Like many of you I have been interested in owning a tourbillon for years. Here is a sampling of what is out there. This is a collage of pics from the RWI Tourbillon Club member photos.

I hope you will agree by the end of this that this Audemars Piguet rep is one of the most visually stunning Tourbillons on the rep market.

On to the review. For the most part, I will let the pictures do most of the talking. I have seen the AP Extra-Thin Tourbillon in the flesh (at local AD) but was unable to obtain detailed photos as the price was over $100K and they seemed cautious about loaning it to me. The photos of the gen on www.audemarspiguet.com and on print ads appear to be extremely Photoshopped. Whenever possible, I used photos of genuine watches on sale at various dealers and auctions gleaned from the web.

REP VS. GEN AUDEMARS PIGUET TOURBILLON

Frontal view:

Notice from the front view in particular how the rep is virtually indistinguishable from gen. Color of dial is absolutely correct to gen (rep is available in multiple colors but gen only in blue). Steel case looks good (gen also available in gold). The Petite Tapisserie design of the dial identifies it as an extra-thin AP (the Grande Tapisserie squares and Mega Tapisserie squares on other models are larger); I counted squares and sizing is correct. The engraving of the Petite Tapisserie is perfect, including the different directions of engraving on the tops of squares vs the “Clous de Paris†engraving on the flat. The precision and depth of the engraving are incredibly good. See also close-ups below.
I also note that the bridges of the tourbillon are more highly polished on most photos of the gen. On the rep, they are not exactly matte but just a little unpolished.

Oblique view:

Again, virtually indistiguishable from gen. Note the correct polished vs brushed finish on case and bezel (only diagonal beveled surface of bezel is polished, rest brushed).

Bracelet:

The gen like feel and finish quality of the bracelet is absolutely outstanding. It shimmers in the sunlight in a way that is difficult to describe. Well done, Factory T

Clasp:

This is at the first oops. There should not be an AP logo, just the words spelled out. It is not visible when watch is on.

Logo detail (loupe):

The logo is painted directly over the squares of the Petite Tapisserie as per gen (there is no flattened area for the logo printing).. It is approximately 1/2 square too low on the rep, with the top of the letter A falling on top of a raised square rather than on the flat. Unfortunately it is near impossible to get a blow-up loupe photo of the gen, other than the heavily Photoshopped ones on the official AP site. My sense is the font design, size, and color is correct. The white paint might be applied somewhat more thinly on the rep. Other differences are just because it is printed too low on the Tapisserie which makes the print look slightly different.

Cannon wheel and hands detail (loupe):

There are differences in the cannon pinion and hands between rep and gen, but these are visible only with magnification. Briefly, the hands on the gen have slightly rounded surfaces and a more appealing and sculpted appearance of the joint between the hands and their bases. The cannon pin is slightly thinner and slightly sunken on the Rep but again, this is hardly visible. You can also see that the hour markers are correct width, color and length.

Lume (REP VS REP):
I am comparing this to my beast of a Graham, which has lume you can read by. Again, it is unfair to compare a dive watch lume to a dress watch. But I think it is pretty obvious the lume is pretty weak. At about 1 min it is barely present.

Anti-Reflective Coat (REP VS REP):
Also comparing to my Graham diver, which has top-notch AR. The light is the same distance and angle from the crystals of each watch, but the sunburst pattern of reflection of light from the crystal is much worse on the AP Tourbillon. I do NOT know of gen AR quality 100% but based on photos I believe that the rep is not as good as the gen AR.

Case back:

Here we start to see some cracks in the otherwise well done design of this replica. The power reserve meter is absent (not even a faux meter, which I would actually have preferred to the cut out where it should have been. The word SWISS is missing from next to the PR meter. There are multiple other imperfections in the fonts on the back, most notably the “Audemars Piguet†is done in normal Roman font not the typical AP logo typeface. On the wrist, none of this is obvious of course.

Side view:

Sigh. It’s just not “Extra-Thin.†This could EASILY have been reduced a little with a flatter rep bezel (see how the rep bezel protrudes at least a mm farther out). The depth of the case back probably can’t be helped due to the size of the Chinese tourbillon movement.

Movement:
There are a number of reviews of the different Chinese tourbillon movements. Here are two
http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=16780&st=0
http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=36615
Based on these I believe the movement on the AP Tourbillon replica is the Shanghai. I could be wrong, but I think the combination of center-mount balance spring (non carousel) and bridges strongly suggests this is true. Which is good, because (again, see the reviews), it is unquestionably one of the more dependable and beautiful Chinese tourbillon movements. The AP Tourbillon balance wheel frequency is 21,600 which is correct to gen; the tourbillon cage makes one full revolution per 60 seconds, also correct. The AP Tourbillon movement winds and sets smoothly, movement is smooth and silky, and is nearly silent (you can listen to video at end). It has an observed power reserve over 36 hours. Obviously using the Shanghai movement instead of gen AP calibre 2924 is part of why the rep is thicker than gen.

A few more pictures, just cause It is a damn good looking rep.

And a video (you may need to click it):

And finally, I know you are likely curious to see if it keeps good time :)

In summary:
- This is an extremely attractive piece.
- On the wrist the tells are not visible, as defects are in overall thickness, caseback design, and back of clasp. There is a roughly zero risk of being called out especially given the gen is vanishingly rare.
- The quality of case, bracelet, dial engraving, and the raw beauty of the tourbillon movement are exceptional.
- The movement is well made, beautiful, and keeps fantastic time
- Tourbillon reps are less common, and so expensive that that I guess there probably will not be a version 2 of the AP Tourbillon. But, Factory T and Watch Finder, if you are listening, I would like a fake PR meter on the movement back, correct fonts and the word Swiss on the movement back, the Audemars Piguet logo a bit higher and a bit whiter on the dial, and a thinner bezel to slim the case down.

I cannot in good conscience call a replica that is 40% too thick a super rep or 1:1. But, I can say it is SUPER. So, get one.

Last edited:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
little back ground: i got into the rep game when i was shopping for an AP ROO Montoya where google led me to RWI. i decided to get a rep montoya to try on for size and the rest is history.

fast forward to 5 months a several reps later, i decided that I really wanted to try a panda dial and ordered one from PT. by chance, while the rep was being delivered I walked by an AP boutique while shopping with my wife...and right there in the main display starring at me straight in the face was a panda dial on a bracelet--exactly what i wanted. we walked in, i tried it on, and the rest is a hazy memory clouded by excitement!

after wearing the gen for 4 days the rep arrived. i'm amazed at the awesome job the factories did on repping this watch. as you AP guru's know, it is not a true 1:1 but for 2% of what the gen costs there is really nothing to complain about

Without further adieu:

Side by side. Even at this distance, at a quick glance you can't really tell the two apart
144908550.jpg

Did you guess it? The Gen is the one on the right (date wheel@23).

Close-Ups

Gen
144908553.jpg

Rep
144908554.jpg

The first thing that catches my eye is the AR...easy mod. The dial is also more 3 dimensional on the Gen. Looking at them side by side, there is also a noticeable difference from the AP logo as well as the font used for the date wheel. The Gen logo is smaller and applied differently (somehow I think the Rep actually look better in this respect). The font used on the Gen date wheel is also fuller than the Rep. Case, bezel, pushers, CG, crown, hands, numerals, chronos, all look pretty spot on! the brushed finish on the Gen is finer as is the polish on the bezel screws. overall fit and finish on the Gen is better than the Rep but only noticeable if you really pay attention to it.

Gen
144908555.jpg

Rep
144908556.jpg

From the side it's even harder to tell the two apart--hats off to the reppers! if the time was set identically i'd have a very difficult time telling which photo is of the Gen. Many here (myself included) are obsessed about the bezel screws. The Gen is just ever so slightly recessed and perfectly uniform whereas the Rep needs a bit more work. Another difference here is the links on the bracelet. The Gen is slightly more rounded and is more flexible. This is also reflected on how the watch wears...the Rep is stiffer and does not conform to the wrist as nicely (you can tell by how the bracelet 'hugs' the pillow on the Gen). For those with bigger meatier wrists it probably does not matter, but my on puny 6 3/8" wrist the Rep is noticeably more uncomfortable.

Gen
144916836.jpg

Rep
144908557.jpg

Other than the font, the case back is very close to each other. At this angle you can again see how the Gen bracelet is able to conform better to the wrist.

Gen
144908561.jpg

Rep
144908560.jpg

The engraving on the clasp is very good. Without a side by side comparison it's hard to spot the Rep. The engraving is just deeper/finer on the Gen but the positioning on the Rep is spot on. You can't tell from the photos, but the Gen clasp fastens with a more satisfying click and holds better/firmer than the Rep. The Rep still fastens just as well and stays put on the wrist but the Gen just feels more solid (like when you close a door on the Mercedes S-Class vs a Honda Civic, they both function the same but one does it with more authority). You'll notice that the Rep is upside-down to the Gen. Not sure if this was just a production mistake or if all the Reps come like this but this is an easy one to fix by simply flipping the clasp.

Gen
144908562.jpg

Rep
144908563.jpg

Not much to say here except "good job rep factory!!!" (okay, if you really must be picky, the case back is slightly thicker but it is not physically or visually noticeable when you wear the watch)

Conclusion
The latest AP ROO Silver Theme Ultimate Edition is an awesome rep. With some small mods and maybe a splurge on a Gen bracelet would give this watch both Gen-like appearance and comfort.

Thanks for looking. If you want any specific photos please let me know soon as I'll be posting my Rep for sale in a couple days.

:cheers:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
1/2
01.jpg~original

Being a huge Audemars Piguet fan I decided to get a new genuine silver 15400st shortly after I received a blue and silver BP maker rep a few months ago.
The size is just a perfect balance between sporty and dressy.
A classy sportswatch if you like
Perfect with both jeans and T-shirt and a suite.

I have been wearing high end reps (and some gens) for lots of years now and no one ever notice any of my watches.
But when I started to wear my 15400 reps all of sudden I got compliments almost daily, even from strangers witch is quite unusual in Sweden
Not that it matters but don’t we all just love compliments now and then, I know I do

So there is something about these Royal Oak’s that just ooze elegance and understated class.
Gerald Genta [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Genta] know what he was doing when he designed this iconic shape.

Enough talk, lets begin.

There are two reps out, this BP maker and “Angus new maker” (we have to come up with a new name by the way).
There is a third makers 15400 in the pipeline, Angus miyota movement version.
Last I heard it will be released in couple of months but since that is rep-months it will probably be 6 months?

I have not had Angus new makes one in hand, I have only seen pics of it so its hard for me to make any fair judgment.
But from what I have seen I prefer the BP to be honest, simply because the flaws are less then on Angus one.
-BP has the correct dial logo with “something” between the A and P (on the gen there is laser engraving)
-BP has the correct hour markers with gen like thin lume.
-BP has the correct large date numbers that almost fill out the date window.
-BP silver dial have the (almost) correct off white date wheel background color. (I think Angus version is updated with it?)
-BP have better bezel screws that have flatter heads and is a bit sunken into the bezel.

But as far as I understand Angus new maker have better dials, sheen and Tapisseries.
Your choice what you prefer of course and I’m sure these both models will be updated in the future, the BP already updated to polished rehaut.
On my BP in this review I have polished the rehaut myself:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-bp-maker-151893?t=151893

Even thou the reps are quite good they don’t look anywhere near the gen when you have them side by side.
The fit, finish and quality on the gen are very hard to replicate for the money we are paying for the reps.
Most have to do with tolerances in my opinion.

There are no gaps or uneven surfaces on the gen while the rep bezel screws don’t quite fill out the hexagon shape completely for instance.
I don’t think the rep makers would have any problem to achieve gen quality but the question is would we be willing to pay for it?

Lets say they start to only accept tolerances that the gen makers do, that would mean that maybe 3 out of 5 cases have to be thrown away and that will triple the rep prices.
The saying when viewing someone’s QC pics:
“It’s a $400 rep, not a gen” is somewhat the wrong statement in my opinion.
It would be more correct to say:
It’s a $400 rep, not a $1200 rep

Sorry for the slightly OT rant, back on track!

First of, finish
The shine and color of the case is different.
On the rep the metal look kind of yellowish (hard to capture in pics) while on the gen it look steel grey and the brushing makes the gen look like it have a satin finish that the rep lacks.
02finisha.jpg~original

02finishb.jpg~original

Thickness
The rep is much thicker as can be seen mostly on the caseback that are almost double in size.
02zthicka.jpg~original

02zthickba.jpg~original

02zthickbb.jpg~original

02zthickc.jpg~original

Dials
The dial on the gen are more silver then the white BP rep and gen have lots more shine to it. It’s a bit like a pearl when the light hits the gen.
Some of this have to do with the Tapisseries (see below) that gives it a slight sunburst effect.
03diala.jpg~original

Tapisseries
Tapisseries, 'Clous de Paris' guilloché is one of these watches main features and since 2012 its made in-house by Audemars Piguet.
Today there are three kinds of Tapisseries:
Mega Tapisseries – ROO’s and Diver
Grande Tapisseries – RO and ROC (15300/15400, 26300/26320)
Petite Tapisseries – Royal Oak 15202 Extra-thin
(This is the short version, there are other models I have not included.)
I can really recommend this video (watch in HD) how it’s made on a near 100 year old machine.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0uW37FnCLM"]Audemars Piguet - Making a Royal Oak Dial with Tapisserie Pattern - YouTube[/ame]
Here is a great in depth article explaining the different Tapisseries:
http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/macros-royal-oak-dials-different-types-of-tapisseries

The Tapisseries is of course not as detailed on the rep as it is on the gen, but to be honest it looks quite good anyway.
04tapisgen.jpg~original

04tapisrep.jpg~original

Hour markers
The BP rep, while better then Angus new maker, is not quite like gen.
First of the white gold on the gen sparkle a lot more then the plasic (?) one on the rep and reflect light different.
There is also some overspill of lume in the rep, but to be honest that can not be seen with the naked eye but it enhances the lesser finish and overall quality. Its not helped by the dirty rep markers..
The flat top section of the gen is ever so slightly narrower.
05markergen.jpg~original

05markerrep.jpg~original

Dial logo
First off, the logo is a bit crooked on my rep as they unfortunate mostly are.
There are other difference as you can see.
The inner triangle of the A have a rounded top on the gen while the rep have it flat and the bar on the A is lower on the gen.
The two letters are wider on the gen.
The space between the two letters are filled with some paint or something on the rep and the gen have that space laser engraved.
06logogen.jpg~original

06logorep.jpg~original

Dial print
The printed text have a good font on the rep but its too thin, except the “Audemars Piguet” at the top that are to thick for some strange reason.
07printagen.jpg~original

07printarep.jpg~original

07printbgen.jpg~original

07printbrep.jpg~original

Date
Date window frame have the wrong appearance on the rep and it should be more “square” and be more close to the edges of the double numbers.
Date font is slightly off and are a bit too bold on the rep.
Date wheels background color is a few shades darker on the rep compared to gen.
Due to the movement the date wheel is a bit sunken on the rep and perfect flat up against the dial on the gen.
The gen date numbers are actually “sausage” and raised. A bit like sausage lume on some Panerai’s (like 000/005). On the rep they are just printed flat.
08DWgena.jpg~original

08DWrepa.jpg~original

Hard to make out in pics but here is a close up of the gen sausage date numbers.
08sausage.jpg~original

Hands
The hands on the rep are very good in shape. Only the lume is a bit too wide compared to gen.
The centre post is unfinished metal on the rep while the gen have it highly polished.
Reps seconds hand is a mm too short.
The shine from the gens white gold hands are hard to replicate with dirty steel..
09handagen.jpg~original

09handsarep.jpg~original

Bezel screws
On the gen the bezel screws are slightly sunken into the bezel and the heads are perfect flat.
The screws look to be poured into the bezel, that’s the small tolerances I talked about in my opening text.
The reps screws are also sunken but they are not even, some are more sunken then others, and the cut outs are uneven as well. The edges of the reps screw heads are a bit rounded and there is some gap screw/hexagon holes..
The slot for the screwdriver is thinner on the gen, wider on the rep.
Gens white gold screws have a warmer tone to them and reflect light different to the reps polished steel.
10screwsagen.jpg~original

10screwsbrep.jpg~original

10screwscgen.jpg~original

10screwsdrep.jpg~original

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Crown
Rep crown is slightly thicker but not by much.
On the gen the engraved AP logo is in line with the hexagon shape while the rep have it engraved “crooked” and its not centred in the middle of the crown.
The round “face” of the crown are a bit larger in diameter on the rep.
On both gen and rep the face of the crown is brushed but on the rep its more shallow.
The engraving is good on the rep.
11crownagen.jpg~original

11crownarep.jpg~original

11crownbgen.jpg~original

11crownbrep.jpg~original

Bracelet
The rep bracelet is quite good with the correct polished areas but the fitment is nowhere near gens.
The bracelet on the rep is not stiff but it’s not as flexible as the gen as can be seen in below pics.
The screws on the gen is a delight to work with compared to the screws made out of cheese on the rep.
The clasp on the rep looks very close to gen and operates in the same way, only not as smooth as the gen. AP logo on the bracelet have a bit of thinner font on the rep.
12braceleta.jpg~original

12braceleta1.jpg~original

12braceletbgen.jpg~original

12braceletbrep.jpg~original

12braceletc.jpg~original

12braceletdgen.jpg~original

12braceletdrep.jpg~original

12braceletegen.jpg~original

12braceleterep.jpg~original

Movement and caseback.
There is not much to say about this.
A standard Asian movement with a nice gold plated rotor vs. one of the best and most beautiful movement:
Audemars Piguet in-house caliber 3120.
22 carat gold monobloc oscillating weight, 21,600 bph (3Hz) of pure sex.
The “Royal Oak” engraving is much deeper on the gen and the serial number have thinner font on the gen (you have to take my word for it..)
The oscillating weight/rotor on the rep is a really nice touch from the sticker rotors we are used to but its not quite like gen..
13agen.jpg~original

13arep.jpg~original

13movementagen.jpg~original

13movementbrep.jpg~original

13movementcgen.jpg~original

13movementdrep.jpg~original

Just some watch p0rn :)
14a.jpg~original

14b.jpg~original

Here is a video showing the rep 28,800 bph vs. the gen 21,600 bph, there is a slight stutter on the gen but to me there is not much of a difference. (Gen 21,600 bph on the right)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOBkixffWhg"]15400 21600bph right - YouTube[/ame]​

In closing,
The rep is a very nice and good replication until you get a gen next to it.
Then the flaws stand out but mostly the fit and finish is obviously lacking.

Is it unfair to compare a $400 rep to one of the best manufactures of high end horology?
Maybe, but remember that this is macro pictures and most of these flaws is hard to spot in arm length.

I was very happy with my two (silver and blue) BP reps until I got the gen so there is no reason you should not get these (or the other version) very good and good looking reps and save a ton of money.

But if you are going to save up and buy just one high end gen in your life I can not think of a better candidate then the iconic Audemars Piguet Royal Oak.

Thank you for reading

/Klockis

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
APAd.jpg
[/CENTER]

The amazing and much sought after AP ROO. I've finally gotten around and picked one up. With the Sec@12 modification to the A7750 movement have made this replication a true masterpiece. Also with the plethora of limited editions that AP has released for the ROO series, the chances of being caught out is also quite slim. That said, with any replication, there are flaws. Most of you know my review system, and in truth this piece has been reviewed countless times before, so I'm just adding to an already large database of reviews.

I personally was looking for a blue strap white faced watch and initially was set on building a PAM114 with a blue leather strap, then chanced upon the gen Navy Themes. This was a limited edition issued by AP of 4 nature themed watches supposedly.

Front
ROO_F.jpg

1) The tip of the crown extends a smidgen too far out as compared to the gen. The color of the rubber crown and pushers is also off. Being of a lighter shade of blue rather than dark navy. Add to this the quality of rubber is quite shoddy, easily picking up dust and leaving dusty prints behind after being touched with your fingers.
2) Date window is too far to the right by 0.5mm. This should be inline with the "2" & "4" and the is the biggest most obvious tell
3) The dial is a creamy and shiny white. Closer to the Safari model than what the gen requires which is a pure matte white dial
4) The colors of the numbers on the dial are off as well. Too light a shade and should be a darker navy. The subdials are accurate though.

Dial
ROO_dial.jpg

1) Just overall finishing, the gen is flush with a slight concave to the hex screws in the bezel. The rep is a smidgen down and you can see QC was a little off as a bit of cloth is stuck in one.
2) The chapter ring is brushed and to shiny. The previous issue of a shiny creamy dial is obviously seen here.
3) Color of the numbers already mentioned
4) Color of the dial
5) Text printing on the gen is sharper and the 5 is a slightly different font

Side
ROO_S2.jpg

ROO_S1.jpg

I personally could not spot anything significantly different from the overall case shape

Lug
ROO_lug.jpg

1) Being anal, the depth of the screw is off :) Other than that, very close profile

Crown
ROO_crown.jpg

1) The AP logo though close is not as finely engraved and the A is missing a serif at the tip
2) Another flaw is the thickness of the caseback. The rep is 1mm thicker than the gen
3) Not illustrated is the that the pushers on the rep are inline with the rep due to the A7750 movement being used, which is an integrated chronograph movement. The gen utilises a chrono module which results in the pushers being above the crown.

Caseback
ROO_Back.jpg

No real tells that I can spot except the originally mentioned thicker caseback.

ROO_side.jpg

Buckle
ROO_buckle.jpg

1) The profile of the buckle tongue is thinner than the gen, though the engraving is accurate overall.
2) The cutout in the A is bigger on the rep than the gen and less sharp.

Wristie
IMG_3309.jpg

Wristie shot on a 6.75" wrist.

Conclusion
Well it has its flaws. Some of them major, some very minor. Most are inherent across all the different ROO replica models. Overall it still is a beautiful piece. What must be said though is that I would definitely also mention the movement. A lot of discussions have been made about it and I would say the general consensus is to get it serviced and modded as soon as you can. I personally will if you want to keep this watch around for a long time. It certainly has a lot of wrist presence as can be seen above.

Glamour Shots
IMG_3292.jpg

ROO_shotdial.jpg

ROO_shotdial2.jpg

Reactions: Taraus25

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
My friend owns a gen SS, I asked him to bring it during lunch.

Sadly, I didn't get enough time to do a proper comparison but here's a few shots for your consideration.

I will post more pics in a few days when I meet him again.

Gen (date 23, AP GP Strap); Rep (date 24, Reb Rubber)

IMG_00001855_zpse930ea5f.jpg

IMG_00001856_zps157784b0.jpg

IMG_00001857_zps242db91d.jpg

IMG_00001858_zps9889c487.jpg

IMG_00001859_zps5d766c31.jpg

IMG_00001860_zps0e48dd80.jpg

Quick observation:

-The dial on the gen has creamy hue to it. The rep is too white/silver

-The subdial is darker (more black) than then rep

-The crystal is clearer on the gen. Without comparison side by side, I thought that the rep crystal is super clear already. But after seeing the gen, if you could do a single AR, it will make the dial pops more.

-The AP logo is thicker on the gen

-The tachy ring shape is more curvy on the gen, and the font isn't the same

-The caseback is totally different. The engravings are deeper on the gen. And it has black outline while the rep is shallow and no color.

That's all for now, folks.

I will add more pics later.

If you are on the fence of getting this, please don't hesitate.

This is an awesome watch. While it isn't exactly the same, on the wrist, even my friend who owns a gen can't tell the difference.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Hi guy i just bought a AP Diver 2012 H serie.

So before i sell my V7 i just made a pics comparaison.

Both watches are 95% similars.

For me the only tells are :

- Dial a bit more yellow on the rep
- Mouvement noisy on the rep not on the real.
- Crown engraving is a bit more deeper and sharp on the real.
- Datewheel font

For infos my V7 is mounted on a real strap (not buckle).

120668IMG03481.jpg

169075IMG0351.jpg

289603IMG0352.jpg

250633IMG0354.jpg

774288IMG0358.jpg

171979IMG0359.jpg

751525IMG03561.jpg

Hope you enjoy the thread guy ;-)

Reactions: Deathminder

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I had the pleasure to see 2 schumis one RG and one in ti today. And there was a rep schumi RG around. ([emoji2])
So I've been on these boards for a long time and never really contributed. I hope this helps! (Crap iPhone pics tho)

0e137f643759e29c0c24d91094e0ad34.jpg

1f79ef92b65e1a8d7b6341a961bb47fd.jpg

79cd7df320b68705f15688aae37f3a12.jpg

76e02f9489efd7050a278d40f90de321.jpg
4dcc43f831cb782d28a2b087506a712f.jpg

Dial color was the most apparent difference (other than the obvious differences) the gen has a lighter dial. and the RG color on the rep was more RG while the gen was slightly more YG but nonetheless RG.
In general it's a fantastic rep with 99.9% similarities.
Ps: I don't know the version of the rep (noob JF etc)

Reactions: WatchFreak!

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Hi guys,

I will say finally J Factory made this things even better compare to other factory in my opinion. RO 15400 is one of the icon of Audemars Piguet, as I know there is TF and V6F version of this previously, and I will say JF is just extra ordinary. Let's take a look of my quick look :

AP%20BLUE%201.png

The Face
  • Perfect blue color, same like gen
  • The emboss of checkered dial is very close to gen.
  • I have no issue with hands and hour mark, i think very close to gen as well
  • Date font size is ok, but a bit thicker on rep

The Crystal

I was amazed of the crystal on this rep, take a look some pic below :
AP%20BLUE%204.png

It's just cool, very clear from every angle, no light distraction

Case & Bracelet :

AP%20BLUE%205.png

Since I have TF & V6F, i never found big issue on the case and bracelet. On this JF also i found nothing to comment on this. All good, the finishing is just perfect, very solid bracelet. There is no gap between link, in the end there is no "cheap" sound when you shake it.

Caseback & Movement

output_Xqdd0U.gif

Amazing.. I notice that JF put some extra effort on this to make it better compare to other factory. Look at the beauty of decoration, very detail, neat and close to gen. I only found certain minor different as pointed by blinking number above.

The Dimension
AP%20BLUE%206.png

I found some different thickness between TF, V6F and JF :
  • TF (non-decorated) : 9.79 mm
  • V6F (decorated) : 10.8 mm
  • JF (decorated) : 9.88 mm

What I know gen thickness is 9.8mm, so you can see JF make it very close.

Overall i am happy with this JF. If someone have other opinion or comment, please add here

Cheers guys..

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
JF Royal Oak Extra-Thin Tourbillon

It's finally here, the long awaited JF RO Tourby Rep... Does it live up to the hype??

wPTRa.jpg

wPhry.jpg

It certainly appears to be a major improvement over the old RO Tourbillon replica. I'm not sure what factory made that one, but while still a great watch, there were many visible flaws. While this rep is still a far cry from being a 1:1 with the gen, it's still a fantastic watch!

First up, lets take a look at the front of the watch. The bezel 'screws' are much closer to the Gen size and are much better machined. The gold gear beneath the hand stack that pokes out into the Tourbillon opening is bigger as per the gen. The only thing that seems to be a slight step backwards here is the size of the balance wheel. It is noticeably smaller on the new JF Rep, leaving a pretty large gap in the balance wheel diameter to opening diameter ratio. On the Get the balance wheel and the gold gear overlap a bit. The "Swiss Made" printing on the dial is much better on the new JF Rep, as the old was far too large.

wPwIe.jpg

The dial pattern is slightly better.. the "squares" of the dial pattern are a bit smaller, but still not as small as the gen dial. There are 5 squares along the top hour marker on the Gen, but only 4 on both Reps due to the larger pattern size.

wwze6.jpg

The JF Rep is ever so slightly thinner than the old rep. But neither come close to the thickness of the Gen.

woKnL.jpg

The caseback movement decoration is substantially better, despite having an "Audemars Piguet" sticker, rather than being engraved with the brand name. The orientation of the gears and such on the JF Rep is correct as per Gen, whereas the old rep had the layout reversed. There is now a Power Reserve Dial, but they made a glaring mistake and left out the PR hand... This was likely because they used the movement renders from AP's website as a reference, and those renders don't include the actual dial hand. A bit bummed about that, but at least its a mistake on the back of the watch. The font of used for the "Royal Oak" engraving at the top as well as the serial number at the bottom is incorrect on both the Reps. But the JF Rep correctly DOESN'T have all the extra engravings around the caseback that were incorrectly present on the old Rep. While hard to tell in the photo, the rear bridge across the Tourbillon has a polished appearance as per Gen, whereas the old Rep incorrectly has a brushed finish.

wPGiK.jpg

The bracelet of the JF isn't as "floppy" as the old Rep. Not sure if that is closer to Gen or not.

Old Rep on left, JF Rep on right
wPAwr.jpg

Summery

I really like the improvements on this new model, especially considering the movement on my old RO Tourby Rep started having issues coincidentally the day I received my new JF Rep. (I'll be taking the old Rep apart and attempting to fix that or at least diagnose the issue and make another post documenting that) The watch is stunning!

Here's a bonus shot of the reps side by side, plus a shot of the JF next to my Gen Royal Oak 15300OR.
wP4n0.jpg

wwtgD.jpg

Reactions: Rolemars

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Recently picked up my grail watch, AP 15400ST boutique Blue and thought I’d do a quick gen vs rep mini-review for the community.

I’ve done a few mini gen vs rep reviews in the past, the last one was a Hulk and I recall doing the SD4K prior to that. In all honestly I ain’t that good at spotting gen vs rep micro differences, I just review the overall look and feel and hopefully the pictures help.

Background:
I was in the market for a Nautilus (which had previously been my grail watch for many years) but then I tried on the RO.....and it was GAME OVER for the Patek. The Nautilus is nice (obviously) but the RO has so much more sex appeal. I have owned my fair share of luxury watches but the RO has to be THE most beautiful watch I have ever seen.....and the rep is actually very nice indeed, I am a big fan of JF, as you’re about to see below.

Firstly, please note that I only have access to the internet (and therefore the forum) via my phone (Tapatalk)....so I don’t have the means to do a more in-depth review.

Hopefully my iPhone pics suffice and do excuse the shit grammar....I’m using my phone and it’s a mission to keep concentration whilst typing this up.
Rep(bottom), Gen (top):
da7844fd662cd7bce7fc972b0611b2fe.jpg

Let me know if you want any specific pictures/angles/lighting. I used a £3.50 shitty Amazon lens for the macros. Lol

Summary:
The JF15400v3 is a fantastic rep. Very beautiful and very well finished. You can even stop reading now and just get one, blind buy! It’s hard to believe that the gen costs THAT much more. On the wrist it’s hard, (near impossible) for typical gen owners to tell apart the two watches IMO. Obviously, there are some hardcore members on the rep forums that have the ability to spot a rep from space, but you ain’t gonna run in to the 100 or so of these guys in the real world, all I know, is that the rep is excellent and scary close to gen (on the wrist). My biggest problem with the rep is the thicker case and the not as clear crystal. Everything else I can personally live with....Rep dial is a little dull and doesn’t “pop” like gen. I imagine the dull dial problem is isolated to the blue dial watch, so getting black or white might be the better option for you?

Now, on closer inspection and in the hands, there is NO comparison, the rep doesn’t even capture 40% of gen depth, finish and beauty but it’s completely unfair to compare a £0.27k rep with a £16k gen.

Gen (bottom), Rep (top)
285417dc2be0172cf71925d8b80ac02a.jpg

Rep(left), Gen (right):
3c1e96e8e898298add7f36c743827d3f.jpg

The rep does come highly recommended by myself and others here, it gets lots of compliments and looks stunning on the wrist. It’s big and flash but not in a rude, in your face kinda way, just a very well designed and executed rep. I don’t concern myself with comparing small details on rep vs gen since there are many gen variations and I ain’t interested in finding out about them all. Lol.

Ps. Special thanks to Ken (@psychospike) from chazingtime for hooking me up with a v3 in record time. Thanks mate

Gen (bottom), Rep (top):
d916c11d6a961b6968fa3dacebe9ee2d.jpg

Gen (left), Rep(right):
2491d6535ad933788afafeb7393bbda4.jpg

Dial:
At wrist distance the dials are close. Any difference (at wrist distance) could easily be down to gen batch variations, different angle/lighting/reflections. JF have done a good job with the dial but it’s a little dull and doesn’t pop like gen.
Rep (bottom), Gen (top)
a1c83ddf84f8cc386ad746faf8c91b2c.jpg

See how the rep dial can look a little dull (at certain angles):
Gen(bottom), Rep(top), low lighting:
e84292225e871239e73c3c7c9a0d23fe.jpg

Note: my gen is 2018 model and has updated AP logo at 12oclock. There are many gen batch dial variations so don’t get too hung up over micro analysing gen and rep dial colour differences

I just do a general comparison looking at overall “look and feel” between the two watches.

Gen:
0868326d1a033be54767fb4f08df9fe9.jpg

Rep:
ec5b15a896ed6dae97de780dd880f7f2.jpg

It’s hard to explain but the gen has more depth to it. It’s prettier and the colour is more complex and richer. It just pops better than the rep. I’ll let you compare tapp yourself, I haven’t got the dexterity to micro analyse the differences. The difference are also way to onerous for me to articulate on my phone Tapatalk, lol.
Gen:
fb05b64cd2a9a2ec1dd38cdc34936300.jpg

Rep:
899ef78be9cfd2090163723ebfdbbcb2.jpg

Both dials are very dynamic. Sometimes they look black, sometimes navy and sometimes straight up electric blue. The rep colour is lighter (gen looks closer to navy and rep looks closer to gray).

Gen:
3e36cbb27bfc29912b1046ce6ba33822.jpg

Rep:
3e791bea318feda50c90577fe967b995.jpg

I have seen at least x2 different gen blue dial colours and nobody has committed them all to memory, so don’t worry about your rep not being exactly the same colour as the gen picture on the net. JF have done a good job but there’s no way a $400 watch is gonna have the same level of refinement as a $17k watch (or whatever).
Rep (bottom), Gen (right):
45c4bcdc4891f8f2fc8fa645888014bd.jpg

Gen minute markers are precise, bold and perfect. Rep.....not so much ......but meh I can live with it as it is a marked improvement over the previous JF versions.

Rep:
bc08941958953c8b66a3241a9530a88c.jpg

c53e8c61a21fc242140c7588eaa4f6e1.jpg

Gen:
b9980071a82a01c195b284924893623c.jpg

Gen rehaut is also more shiner and compliments the blingy white gold hour surrounds. Rep does a good job here.

Gen:
a0a3c9980b48ee0afdafa3e067fb477d.jpg

Rep:
3a78911bfd633dccd8fffe9a00117482.jpg

^gen vs rep rehaut difference ain’t as big as it looks in those pics....it’s just difficult to picture the watches at exactly the same angle and focus.

Hand + Markers:
Hard to tell the difference in the pics but in real life the gen hands look thicker and more 3D, edges look more crisp - They reflect light in a totally different manner from rep. I’ll try to post a video later. The rep hands are very well copied but up close the gen is in a different planet in terms of finish and beauty....but one would expect that given the price difference.

Gen:
8fbd0e4b2bf96f9815962cbbf8130141.jpg

0ed2c058c1e887097e2562f3b410d095.jpg

Rep:
4a7c6c7477093374505c4a4c165a80e1.jpg

22b2099451a10092238b6ce938ebb1f1.jpg

Gen:
196ae22a279c1990afd79942167412d9.jpg

Rep:
f2d43ade7a9ed0f9370f43ed74e0e00f.jpg

Rep:
1c90579a9c605a06e3129b32d8a26221.jpg

On close inspection, the rep hands and markers look a little plasticy whereas the gen are precise cut white gold that sparkle in a very unique way. Anybody know what material the rep marker are made from?

Lume:
The lume paint on the rep hands is white and the hour markers are slightly green, gen hands and markers match perfectly (all white lume). Rep lume glow is decent but then again gen isn’t spectacular either:
Rep (note white hands compared to green markers):
48bdaca5373da6d794f0f9f81223a9c7.jpg

Rep (left), Gen (right):
ad74099768eae679b361b7dc8339b8f8.jpg

Rep markers are also dirty....possible fingerprints or glue smudges here and there. Hard to tell with the naked eye but I can see the flaws. All the Jf15400s I’ve had are like this. In the past I’ve paid people to polish rep hands and markers. It does help (a little) with improving the sparkle.

Caseback:
JF engravings are nice and deep. Close enough to gen. here are some macros:
Rep:
f633e3a320ae610a57ccc156ff5ccea0.jpg

Gen:
c575cd19be19be0f48caacf5e5c74417.jpg

Clasp:
Pics do the taking, not much to say really:
Gen:
7c39f95ee33be997441275f6fda64999.jpg

Rep:
5811fc8b3179989d7af3fda0ed4197f1.jpg

Crystal:
Hard to picture be difference but gen is a lot clearer (not x2AR). The rep crystal is probably one of the best crystals on any rep but can look a little milky at certain angles.
Rep(bottom), gen (top)
901fa82d2205fd550731947162ec0dde.jpg

4dc28133fcb0d73d151b3108e782a0fc.jpg

^rep bracelet looks pretty sic! They’ve done a very job here.

I’m worried be forum or my phone will crash so I’m gonna hit “post” for now:

Crown:
Pics speak for themselves. Gen is obviously more crisp and better finished. But who cares....Rep is close enough, who the fuck can see the crown whilst on the wrist anyway.

Gen:
e0d3868b33d9288981ac0b77aadd3854.jpg

Rep:
94292c7dda4011734730a4d125723294.jpg

Movement:
Pictures speak for themselves. Gen rotor is surprisingly loud....not dead silent like my R-fac Rollies or modern OMega 8900. JF have done well with the overall look and finish. Ofcourse you ain’t gonna fool anyone in the know but rep does look pretty tho. Most of the rep Miyota swatches I’ve handed do require a drop of lube on the rotor to prevent them from sounding like a freight train.

Gen:
22db49eed3f54a007272f043855b9004.jpg

Rep:
bc5c48ea9720e52c2270b51cdc808b48.jpg

Clasp:
Not much to say, Rep is close enough, the difference in print could be down to different gen batches, I have no way of knowing otherwise. Rep clasp feels sharper along edges than gen and is not as well refined but closes securely and feels premium. Very well done Jf.

Gen:
46e25b6af11fb7c0b85ef50c2f72ac40.jpg

Rep:
330b71a7404dca0d8ef834218a4a72e7.jpg

Gen (bottom), Rep (top):
7426efd0ec7472853a295d678eeecbcf.jpg

Bracelet:
Rep looks just as good as gen on the wrist IMO. Of course gen pops better but Remember my gen is brand new, I’ve handled plenty of watchmaker refinished APs and they don’t look anything like the factory finish. So don’t worry too much about your rep not having the exact same finish as a brand new gen straight outta Switzerland. Doesn’t make it fake (on the wrist).....just don’t hand it to somebody acting like it’s gen. you will get laughed at.

Gen:
c66d48d56fc5e0a2c8a2bdc94389d7c9.jpg

Rep:
3134195ea1e27a5c9244e6400db01dee.jpg

Gen(left), Rep (right):
09567a3230d57f8ef3e66c39381d1b86.jpg

It’s hard to explain but gen brush is finer and the whole thing just glistens like liquid metal on your wrist. The rep is close but I can see why the gen costs THAT much more. The differences are minimal (and hard to quantify) but collectively the small touches here and there on gen have a huge visual effect and contribute to enhancing gen beauty by orders of magnitude over the rep.

Thickness:
The rep is simply too thick for what it is. It feels like a mini diver, which is not the look AP intended for this watch. Gen, being thinner, feels right and is much better proportioned. The distribution of weight between clasp and head feels a bit off on the rep (being top heavy). That’s just me nit-picking and having the benefit of a gen side by side for comparison.

Gen(left), Rep(right):
aec82911ae5413722affc96118deb35d.jpg

^rep is fat as fuck and bracelet is quite stiff from factory (both watches are new and unworn)

Bezel & screws
Both look the same to me. Lol. Of course gen brush is more defined but rep is close enough. Apparently gen screws are white gold vs rep 316L stainless. I can’t tell the difference. I read a thread about some bloke wanting to add gen WG screws to his JF, my advise is, don’t waste your money mate. Lol. JF have done an excellent job with the factory screw fit and finish.
Rep:
48f18084a80a7a2ac49d8ea7d2c0bef4.jpg

Gen:
614a57b1faf726b8d7cc1c74a083b154.jpg

Crystal:
Gen crystal is infinitely more clearer than rep. Well, to a connoisseurs eyes anyway. I had previously thought JF crystal was amazing, until I compared it side by side with gen. Gen clarity is unreal. Rep crystal kinda looks milky at some angles, this can make the rep dial look muted under certain lighting/angles and just reduces the “pop” factor you get on the gen. Again, this is just a personal opinion and shouldn’t stop any prospective buyers from dropping $400 on a JF. The JF crystal is consistent with its price tag.

I can’t find any decent gen vs rep crystal pics on my phone to illustrate the difference. I’ll have to take some better ones tomorrow (in daylight):

You can see gen vs rep thickness here:
Gen (left), Rep (right)
3c7322f20ea53f2ae96efc836322a5a8.jpg

Here’s some random comparison pics that I should’ve attached to the above posts (sorry for fragmented posting but like I said, I’m worried my phone or the forum will crash):

Gen(left), Rep(right):
dbbb3abb5692e9d0e35beffa2b8ff55c.jpg

38423295292305af31a997e28cd95fdb.jpg

Gen:
d9aeff7edfbf44604a107b960f143cae.jpg

Rep:
70688a7273d6de1349c3bb55b867239c.jpg

Rep (left), Gen (right):
29224f0bf0d0d68b6c878f4905542d81.jpg

Rep:
fa2f5103a497d95f107af10291f10d49.jpg

Gen
89f0f5e4b407a64765f73682e1cd38ff.jpg

Gen (bottom), Rep (top):
8caac7964a6fe6a853085ee550578dc1.jpg

^doing a fair comparison on this watch requires the watch to be held in exactly the same angle/lighting....I’m kinda struggling to do that with x2 watches and an iPhone in my hand....doing my best not to knock the watches together and ding them. The finish on both is stunning but you only have to breath on them to scratch them. Seriously, these are both fucking scratch magnets.

Gen (left), Rep(right):
a2dedf836e6047d6ab4e2efa53434bda.jpg

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
nmNHY.jpg

nmFgo.jpg

nm7Es.jpg

nmvt3.jpg