• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO Diver - Ceramic vs Forged Carbon

Ifcowscouldfly

Supporter
Certified
25/3/17
Australia
Hi guys

I'm doing a bit of research for my next watch purchase, which will hopefully be as soon as our TDs re-open after CNY.

The watches I'm choosing between are the AP Royal Oak Offshore Divers, either in Ceramic or in Forged Carbon. Does anyone have any opinion on the following matters:
  1. Which version has the more accurate rep and how big a difference is there?
  2. How is the durability of forged carbon compared to ceramic (looking at gen forums, the forged carbon seems much more prone to abrasion damage and wear and tear).
  3. The two movements available are the A2824 and the Miyota 9015. Besides noise, are there any other advantages with the A2824?
  4. Which do you feel looks better (I love the look of a fully ceramic case, but I prefer yellow over orange)?
There are quite a different versions of each watch, made by different factories.

Ceramic
  • After having done a big of digging around, it looks like H Factory produced the best Ceramic Diver (H Factory got the dial and hands right, though JF has better crystal and screw set).
  • However, I can't find this version with the TDs I normally use, so does anyone know who has it or what the best alternative version is?
Forged Carbon
  • I haven't seen anything commenting on which version of the Forged Carbon is the best. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • The only thing I can gather is maybe JF has better quality forged carbon.
Thanks!

boonnn

Known Member
29/10/16
In my opinion, the forged carbon diver is more accurate as it has a closed case back as compared to the ceramic ones. However no one will be able to judge it if you're wearing on your wrist anyway. So go for which ever you like. The noob V4 FC diver was deemed as the 'best' but seems to be discontinued (am unsure of it). Go for the version with A2824 movement as you would be able to mod it to a low beat movement and have a aftermarket datewheel installed (Mikey, Legend etc...)

Reactions: antotony0203

Ifcowscouldfly

Supporter
Certified
25/3/17
Australia
Hmmm I can't seem to find a Noob FC diver anywhere. I can only find versions from V6F, JF, and H Factory. Bit strange because I can see a Noob ceramic version, and you would have thought they would make both.

Of the V6F, JF and HF versions of the FC diver, what do you think is the best version?

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
not planning to mod the watch buy a JF diver. the other option to select best base for modding
FC
> noob version no longer available
> JF version with 2824 if you can find one. Next best XF/V6 version sold by TT. http://trustytime.store/index.php?ma...ducts_id=18378
>HF version yellow on hand and rotating tach do not match

Ceramic
> HF has the best dial. movement seen through case back dead giveaway. http://www.toro.fun/index.php?route=...roduct_id=1415
> noob and v6 have the fake plates for movement. https://www.intime02.co/audemars-pig...ap-a2836-.html http://www.toro.fun/index.php?route=...roduct_id=1319

Micha-IN

Known Member
4/4/12
Germany
fc or carbon? you need both

i have 8 ROO AP's from JF
I have the ceramic diver from V6F (XF) with A2824 with fake plates, besides the rubber strap being on the stiffer side (JF are all very smooth), the watch is great

I will buy a fc diver in the future, it will be a JF watch...

Actually the Miyota 9015 is way better then A2824, the Miyota is built under quality control

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
I'll attempt to help:
For FC either get the Noob V4 or JF V5. Ask dealers about the Noob V4 - many can get, just don't have listed on their sites ;)
I personally prefer Noob V4 as it has A2824 movement, which can be modded to low-beat should you choose. I also STRONGLY prefer swapping out my Datewheel for a better one (Mikey, Legend) and the 2824 allows this, while Miyota does NOT.
JF V5 has Miyota, which many people lately seem to prefer. But, initially the complaints about it were that the rotor was quite loud. This no longer appears to be the case!
That said, JF V5 case finishing/patterning is generally slightly better. More than likely the crystal will be too.
HF Version of FC is NOT good (or at least in the beginning wasn't good at all.) They used a cheap movement that often had Keyless Works problems.

For Ceramic:
Maybe you can "up" your budget? If only wanting to buy ONE watch, buy the HF without a doubt because they really nailed the dial and the orange colors, the best aspects of the watch!
If you can afford TWO watches, and to combine them for one best possible version:
V6F version wins on case construction (I'm told), bezel with it's vertical brushing, bezel screws, rubber strap (either black or orange), it has a Movement Decoration (if that's important to you at all?!), as well as crystal, and probably cyclops too (IIRC on that.)
Combine V6F watch with HF dial, rotating bezel, and hands, for a winner!
As far as availability: again, ask the TDs. InTime should be able to get HF. Or use Trusty (link above - NOT a TD here) to procure it as well.
There's a very GOOD reason why the Ceramic Diver is in HOT demand in Gen form! Just a great watch ;)

Have fun!

Ifcowscouldfly

Supporter
Certified
25/3/17
Australia
Thanks for your comments boonnn , Garuda and jpohl402 ! That was very helpful!

Based on the comments, it probably makes more sense to go with a Forged Carbon watch, to avoid having to buy two watches and combine them. Plus I really prefer the yellow to the orange, and that is more obvious than the look of carbon vs ceramic.

​​​​​​​Any you aware of any durability issues with forged carbon reps? I would be very surprised if the gens had issues but reps did not have any issues in this regard.

Of the JF (Miyota) and V6 (2824) versions of the Forged Carbon, how do you think they compare?

Links below:

http://www.toro.fun/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1730

http://www.toro.fun/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1860

​​​​​​​The JF version is about $50 more than the V6 version.

jpohl402

10/7/12
Ever so slightly the FC cases can possibly get smoother edges, yes. It’s esp documented in Gen form. But they won’t completely disintegrate of self-destruct, it’s a minor issue.
Further, this “problem” is probably the absolute least of your worries! Just buy the watch, wear, and enjoy - you’ll be just fine & get so much enjoyment out of the watch before this even happens!

jpohl402

10/7/12
Yeah you're right, I'm just going to buy it after CNY is over :).

Just to confirm, is this watch from Intime from JF? It's a v5 so I assume it is, but they did not specify the factory in the description.

https://www.intime02.co/promotions/1600-royal-oak-offshore-diver-forged-carbon-a3120-v5.html

Yes, that’s a JF one. All V5’s are made by JF.

To answer your earlier question: I’m not personally familiar with the V6F version of the watch - but I’d go JF (V5) hands down over that one. So get the one in the link ;)

thewatcher2001

Looking Around
11/3/18
I'll attempt to help:
For FC either get the Noob V4 or JF V5. Ask dealers about the Noob V4 - many can get, just don't have listed on their sites ;)
I personally prefer Noob V4 as it has A2824 movement, which can be modded to low-beat should you choose. I also STRONGLY prefer swapping out my Datewheel for a better one (Mikey, Legend) and the 2824 allows this, while Miyota does NOT.
JF V5 has Miyota, which many people lately seem to prefer. But, initially the complaints about it were that the rotor was quite loud. This no longer appears to be the case!
That said, JF V5 case finishing/patterning is generally slightly better. More than likely the crystal will be too.
HF Version of FC is NOT good (or at least in the beginning wasn't good at all.) They used a cheap movement that often had Keyless Works problems.

For Ceramic:
Maybe you can "up" your budget? If only wanting to buy ONE watch, buy the HF without a doubt because they really nailed the dial and the orange colors, the best aspects of the watch!
If you can afford TWO watches, and to combine them for one best possible version:
V6F version wins on case construction (I'm told), bezel with it's vertical brushing, bezel screws, rubber strap (either black or orange), it has a Movement Decoration (if that's important to you at all?!), as well as crystal, and probably cyclops too (IIRC on that.)
Combine V6F watch with HF dial, rotating bezel, and hands, for a winner!
As far as availability: again, ask the TDs. InTime should be able to get HF. Or use Trusty (link above - NOT a TD here) to procure it as well.
There's a very GOOD reason why the Ceramic Diver is in HOT demand in Gen form! Just a great watch ;)

Have fun!

Thanks for your info, jpohl402
But why do you go with the V6F Ceramic Diver instead of JF?
I thought that JF has better constructions for Divers.

antotony0203

Renowned Member
30/4/17
Just to add one thing for the FC diver, h fac has the best dial imho. But it is really hard to get nowadays.

Sent from the [video]RWI App[/video]

Ifcowscouldfly

Supporter
Certified
25/3/17
Australia
Just a quick update on this thread, I just received my FC Diver and I'll see if I can post photos on the weekend.

First impressions... It's a beautiful watch and is the best feeling rep I've owned, however its just a bit too sporty for me.

Iwork in professional services and am in a suit all day. The forged carbon look would be better suited for a weekend. The sheen of ceramic would have been a better fit for a formal setting.

I think I'll wear it for a few weeks and re-evaluate. Worst case scenario, I'll sell it and buy a H-Fac ceramic diver.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
You didn't realize it was a sporty watch when you first saw it? Ceramic diver won't be much different imho

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

Ifcowscouldfly

Supporter
Certified
25/3/17
Australia
It's also probably a matter getting used to how it looks with a suit, as opposed to anything wrong with the watch. Was wearing a Hublot 42mm classic Fusion in black before this, so it's a big change.

thewatcher

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
5/8/12
It's also probably a matter getting used to how it looks with a suit, as opposed to anything wrong with the watch. Was wearing a Hublot 42mm classic Fusion in black before this, so it's a big change.

You should choose Royal Oaks instead of ROOs, they fit the suits better.
For FC Diver, you can try the newest XF/V6's V2, it looks better than JF's V5 via pictures, I'm also planning to get one!