• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Markaplan

Supporter
9/10/20
I started building a 44mm 26401PO Franken. I am either really dumb..... or really really dumb. I acquired a gen steel 44mm offshore case, gen 26401 dial, LWO283, and a modern mickey Datewheel 2892. On top of that I bought a "for parts" base watch on this forum. It turns out that my "for parts" base watch was actually missing parts so I resorted to posting WTB ads for the missing bezel screw and back screws. Anyway, here is the pain,... I mean progress that you all want to see.

Parts:
Correct crown height and pushers installed:

WAW this is one hell of a build. I can’t wait to see it up and running. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
WAW this is one hell of a build. I can’t wait to see it up and running. Good luck.

if only the movement holder was the right size I could put it together faster. Need one that’s 34mm in diameter not 33mm.

Markaplan

Supporter
9/10/20
if only the movement holder was the right size I could put it together faster. Need one that’s 34mm in diameter not 33mm.

Hopefully you will find the right one soon. These unique Frankens need a lot of patience. Good luck buddy.

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
The open caseback will be a tell but that doesn’t bother me if the rest of the watch is what is it.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
The open caseback will be a tell but that doesn’t bother me if the rest of the watch is what is it.

sure, but i dont see it there in the photo . Do you have it ? or are you using a thick rep caseback ?

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
I bought a base watch for parts and it came with all that so for now I’m going to use a thick one. Just don’t have all bezel screws or any caseback screws.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Yes that’s the way to go when building an AP franken. Just do what you can and enjoy the watch as it is. It’ll never be perfect. The weight will naturally be a tell also but it’s one issue of every precious metal franken.

When you’re done with this build, I’m willing to bet it won’t be a tell on the wrist in real life anyway. Purpose achieved. I’m looking forward to the completion of this build myself as I haven’t seen this specific model being built before. All the best.

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
sure, but i dont see it there in the photo . Do you have it ? or are you using a thick rep caseback ?

I’m sure caseback can be thinned down once it’s using an LWO and especially if it uses a thinner rotor. You know how it’s like with these see through caseback for the AP reps. Minimally the deco plates have to be removed for the A7750 sec@12 movement for it to be thinned for a meaningful difference.

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
True but the weight will still be nothing without a direct comparison and a scale. The weight with all components on the scale will be less but comparable to the platinum gen. I tried on the gen platinum catch at a boutique here in Chicago and couldn't really tell the difference between 20 grams. My wrist isn't a scale but it knows heavy is heavy.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
True but the weight will still be nothing without a direct comparison and a scale. The weight with all components on the scale will be less but comparable to the platinum gen. I tried on the gen platinum catch at a boutique here in Chicago and couldn't really tell the difference between 20 grams. My wrist isn't a scale but it knows heavy is heavy.

Huh? You realise the gen PT is about 260grams, right? What was the SS again? 200? Barely a 20g difference if you ask me. :lol:

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I currently own enough precious metal APs to be able to tell the feel of the gen weight without a scale. By holding either a 42mm or 44mm steel ROO, I will know that it’s not gold or platinum. The difference between the platinum 44mm ROO and the rep one is about 50g at least and not 20g. The gen is about 260g like what Quetip mentioned and the rep about 200g tops, maybe a tad more. Being “comparable” is subjective. To some, the rep is a “good weight” and the gen is “also heavy”. If it’s good for you then it’s good for you. For me I do not need a weighing scale or gen to tell that the weight is incorrect.

It’s your watch so as long as you “cannot feel the difference” that’s good. The difference in weight and heft definitely exists whether you choose to overlook it or not. It’s better that you do actually because steel will never weigh anything near to platinum or even gold. It’s a simple matter of science and element density. I know the difference very well. Like I say, as long as you’re happy with it yourself, then you’ll be able to indulge in it like it’s real platinum.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Huh? You realise the gen PT is about 260grams, right? What was the SS again? 200? Barely a 20g difference if you ask me. :lol:

Always keeping us humble. I think I weighed the parts of my build for fun and came up short of 200g so I’m actually glad I stand correct knowing the build is 75% of the weight of gen for maybe 7.5% of the cost… even with the leather strap it’s still my heaviest watch believe it or not… if completed :huh1:

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
I currently own enough precious metal APs to be able to tell the feel of the gen weight without a scale. By holding either a 42mm or 44mm steel ROO, I will know that it’s not gold or platinum. The difference between the platinum 44mm ROO and the rep one is about 50g at least and not 20g. The gen is about 260g like what Quetip mentioned and the rep about 200g tops, maybe a tad more. Being “comparable” is subjective. To some, the rep is a “good weight” and the gen is “also heavy”. If it’s good for you then it’s good for you. For me I do not need a weighing scale or gen to tell that the weight is incorrect.

It’s your watch so as long as you “cannot feel the difference” that’s good. The difference in weight and heft definitely exists whether you choose to overlook it or not. It’s better that you do actually because steel will never weigh anything near to platinum or even gold. It’s a simple matter of science and element density. I know the difference very well. Like I say, as long as you’re happy with it yourself, then you’ll be able to indulge in it like it’s real platinum.

I’ve tried on all-gold offshores too but can’t say I’ve had them on for a long time to notice or be able to tell the difference so for me there really is none. Probably a good thing, since ignorance is bliss. If anyone is going to try the completed watch on it’ll only be a close friend, or showing it to a fellow watch connoisseur who is probably more impressed that the watch is a fake than the real thing and won’t know the difference. Nevertheless, I guess there are those that do know in this business so please correct me when I am wrong like you did. It helps me and other members learn and I appreciate that.

For the record I don’t represent the franken build as genuine to people I know, and if anyone’s asks it’s a fake, but knowing how much work went into to basically makes it worth it to me to wear. One doesn’t come without the other, meaning i’d rather wear a shitty franken I put effort and work into than a “super rep” but that’s just me.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Always keeping us humble
Call it preventing you from spreading wrong facts and bs. That's more accurate, I would say.
for maybe 7.5% of the cost
And let's not forget you get about 15% or less of the watch as well. :qtip:
Like legend has said. In the end it comes down to you, if you like it the way you do it, be happy with it and don't let anyone tell you differently. But please stick to the facts and don't let your personal emotions or opinions dictate what's facts.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’ve tried on all-gold offshores too but can’t say I’ve had them on for a long time to notice or be able to tell the difference so for me there really is none. Probably a good thing, since ignorance is bliss. If anyone is going to try the completed watch on it’ll only be a close friend, or showing it to a fellow watch connoisseur who is probably more impressed that the watch is a fake than the real thing and won’t know the difference. Nevertheless, I guess there are those that do know in this business so please correct me when I am wrong like you did. It helps me and other members learn and I appreciate that.

For the record I don’t represent the franken build as genuine to people I know, and if anyone’s asks it’s a fake, but knowing how much work went into to basically makes it worth it to me to wear. One doesn’t come without the other, meaning i’d rather wear a shitty franken I put effort and work into than a “super rep” but that’s just me.

Its totally cool to build the franken you are building sir and I mentioned a few posts above that I am looking forward to see the build, and I still mean it.
Out of the couple of things I posted, which I quoted below in case you forgot, you chose only to address the weight issue, essentially implying that there is no meaningful difference. That cannot be the case, rationally speaking.

Yes that’s the way to go when building an AP franken. Just do what you can and enjoy the watch as it is. It’ll never be perfect. The weight will naturally be a tell also but it’s one issue of every precious metal franken.

When you’re done with this build, I’m willing to bet it won’t be a tell on the wrist in real life anyway. Purpose achieved. I’m looking forward to the completion of this build myself as I haven’t seen this specific model being built before. All the best.

I have no intention to correct you or put your build down at all, but you need to understand I am a guy who knows my APs very well. My knowledge does not come from looking at pics online, or trying on a gen one time for 5min. Lets just leave it at that. Whatever I say about a certain detail, it is simply because I know it to be such. However, I am not in the position to.. pardon the pun, weigh in on how much the 50g of difference will make to you, and could only share the difference it made to me. This remains strictly your privilege and prerogative sir.

I know that you will not represent this as a gen, and never suggested that you would either, and all I did was asked that you share more pics of the watch or build process as you go along, that was all. But you seemed to take issue with me saying that the weight will be a tell. I said that because that was true. In terms of weighing scale figure, and hand-feel both, weight is a tell. You cannot consider the weight difference alone. You need to consider also the fact, that the weight difference spread across an object which measures loosely, only 50mm x 50mm x 15mm. A small object which fits into one's hand, in other words. The weight concentration of that object (pressure) will be greater, meaning, any iota of difference is felt a lot more significantly in the hand for a smallish object, than say, a sack of coins weighing 50kg and one weighing 55kg being carried over the shoulder.

Just try not to defend your build when I point out the facts next time please. I don't want guys reading your posts and see it unchallenged and think that steel frankens are equivalent to platinum ones. They are NOT and they will NEVER be. I have not mentioned any other flaw your franken will have, and I have no wish to go into those because we all know its a franken, no need to put it down. But if you want to tell me how close your franken will weigh compared with the gen, or how close your movement will look perhaps, I am all ears. That is when I will delve into the details for you.

Else, lets just agree with what I said originally, that this will be a visually nice build. Don't try to challenge the weight difference again because to the average person, it will feel significant and I can assure you that its a lot more than 20g, it is a 50g difference over a relatively small area, so the pressure upon the palm holding it will definitely feel it in real life. It is not a 50g difference in a long stick, or a 50g difference in a dumbbell. It is 50g difference in a much smaller item so the difference will be a lot more salient.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Else, lets just agree with what I said originally, that this will be a visually nice build. Don't try to challenge the weight difference again because to the average person, it will feel significant and I can assure you that its a lot more than 20g, it is a 50g difference over a relatively small area, so the pressure upon the palm holding it will definitely feel it in real life. It is not a 50g difference in a long stick, or a 50g difference in a dumbbell. It is 50g difference in a much smaller item so the difference will be a lot more salient.

Thank you I hope the finished build will be. It is that way in my head, at least.

Of course I’ll share the build progress here but for what it’s worth I hope people don’t take my word as fact just because I showed a half assed collection of parts. Next time I’ll leave the opinions out of my posts since I could probably be called out for half of them. Thanks for weighing in :cool:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you I hope the finished build will be. It is that way in my head, at least.

Of course I’ll share the build progress here but for what it’s worth I hope people don’t take my word as fact just because I showed a half assed collection of parts. Next time I’ll leave the opinions out of my posts since I could probably be called out for half of them. Thanks for weighing in :cool:

Lets focus on the build and the end results. I think your watch will be a nice one to see completed and that does not change.

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Next time I’ll leave the opinions out of my posts since I could probably be called out for half of them

Our forum exchanges are largely made up of opinions mixed with facts and fallacies.

You are more than welcome to share yours of course but please at least understand that some of us here, know our APs well and you need to be prudent enough not to present facts which are untenable. An AP franken is a novelty, fun timepiece but by no means anywhere close to gen, especially precious metal models. For those models, I will agree with what Quetip said and say that the completed watch will be about "10-15%" of the gen watch, to put it in vague figurative terms. There is a lot more to a gen AP than just appearances or weight. The tactile feel and finish, the subtle details are significant aspects of the watch as well and cannot be overlooked. You really need to be an AP owner to understand all these. There are a lot of ineffable aspects of the watch details, and pictures often tell 5% of the story if you are lucky. A gen AP watch has a heavy dose of that Je Ne Sais Quoi which no 2D picture can fully interpret. You have the chance to get all these details correct or at least comparable with the gen one if you know what to do.

That is why, I said your watch will be an interesting and good-looking one, assessed on its own merit as a watch, and not an AP. All the very best!

el_assamite

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/7/10
Dear RWI friends,

I have the crazy project to build an AP 15202 Franken, and would need some advices from the community.

Indeed, this summer I will turn 40. My dream would have been to offer to myself a beautiful AP 15202. But the recent crazy increase of its price, and not able to have access to it directly from AP, I am thinking seriously today about creating a Franken.

I am really impressed by the latest ZF and XF 15202 reps, but I would like to own a piece of the legendary jumbo, and the solution is to go to the Franken route.

My plan:
- XF or ZF watch donor
- Gen calibre 2121 (old model with white DW and old rotor)
- Rep blue DW adapted to Gen 2121 if feasible
- Rep new gold rotor adapted to Gen 2121 if feasible

Can I kindly ask you few questions, hoping that I will not abuse from your time:
- Gen Calibre 2121: a dealer in Paris is proposing me a caliber 2121 without date wheel, and requiring a proper revision for 1500€. Does it look like a fare price to you? How could I be sure that after a revision the caliber will work properly (any question to ask to the dealer)?
- Blue DW: How to find a compatible blue DW? Would it be possible to use the rep DW and adapt it to the Gen movement? Any proposed solution?
- Hands: Could I adapt ZF or XF hands to the Gen caliber? What could be an alternative if not? (It seems impossible to find 15202 Gen hands)
- Dial: Would you advise me to install a ZF or XF dial, as I understood that the hole of the ZF is bigger?
- New rotor: How could I replace the old Gen rotor to the new model? Could the Rep one be adapted? I saw a picture in the forum of à XF with Gen movement modded with WF rotor…
- Sourcing Gen parts: Any chance someone could have access to Gen parts to help me build this beauty?

I thank you in advance for any advice, comment, knowledge sharing, encouragement, or challenge :)

El Assamite

Ps: I tried to send PM to two of our great AP experts active in this discussion. I do not know if my PMs did not reach their mailbox (I had an issue previously with my RWI mailbox), or if they receive so much PMs due to success that I just need to be patient and wait for their kind answer… ;-)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk